Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Not to sure did you cook a lot, but if you do I will think that the fridge should be facing the basin so will be more easy for you to prep your ingredient. If you going use ur island to do the prep that it will be good.

I just looking at the flow at the kitchen and this is my 5 cents lah. hope it helps.

But I do think that will turn it nice, so far after meeting the ID anyone that you can find the chemistry?

All the best on the project ya.

hi yes i do. u r right. the island is more for me to do preparation work and baking. just some idea not sure if it will work out. thanks for the highlight.

i am not sure if my kitchen storage is suffice.. so many "gadgets" hehe. care to share more tips? btw do u cook alot?

ID chemistry-yes got 1-2. they are very very patient with me.. hehe.. coz we keep changing idea and accomodating too. =)

thank you. i do hope the whole project will be smooth sailing..

hope we can kind of get the price right and may need to remove some "ideas"

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Thats like a total change of your WC from their original positions and the original waste hole from HDB cannot be altered so not sure if you would be able to achieve that but I guess since you have drawn it out means you have discovered it can be done.

But make sure its approved to prevent issues in future as I've learnt when trying to sell my old place when the officer came and ask why this this this and this was not documented and approved? Is was a massive headache.

ooh.. did u do a massive makeover at your old place too?

yup. after asking ard and tips from ahyong81. it can be done. like what ahyong81 mentioned just using the S-P trap. but it will definitely cost abit more. it is a "want" to create a better flow in the bathroom.. if like u mentioned and not approved then we may abandon the idea... so see what some of the IDs say.

thanks for the tips! =) :good:

Thats like a total change of your WC from their original positions and the original waste hole from HDB cannot be altered so not sure if you would be able to achieve that but I guess since you have drawn it out means you have discovered it can be done.

But make sure its approved to prevent issues in future as I've learnt when trying to sell my old place when the officer came and ask why this this this and this was not documented and approved? Is was a massive headache.

As long as one dont meddle with the structural slab of the wc and walls or relocating the orginal piping of the wc, it will not be of any issue. Its just a matter of using different connector wc and extra pvc piping to connect to the exisiting piping build by HDB :) No waste pipe is conceal under the flooring.

And concealing waste or water pipe within the structural slab/wall. This is not allowed in HDB rules. What my ID did was just to use additional PVC pipe and connect to the original waste pipe, and then build a low hollow block wall to hide the additional PVC pipe. Like I mentioned before, a lot of ID will tell their customer they cant do it because if they never do a proper waterproofing at your toilet, it might become an issue in the future. As long as the works are properly carried out, and waterproofing testing is done and passed.

Extract from HDB rules on renovation

Types of Work
Subject to the Following Guidelines/ Conditions
*Concealed waste/ water pipes in floor finishes/ wall
  • Floor slab and wall must not be tampered with
*Such work is discouraged as it may cause water leakage to lower floor unit if the work is not properly carried out.
Extract from HDB renovation website on erecting walls
wall_zpscxjdr6d6.jpg

Below is the image to explain how its works :)

toilet_zpscn9zjn7g.jpg

The waste pipe was not conceal at all within the floor slab, floor tiles and original wall and wall tiles. :) hope the pictures explain everything. If one decided to relocate their wc using the above method, please ensure your id/contractor to make sure that the workmanship is good and the connector is secure properly, if not later s*** might come out... :P

Edited by Ahyong81

Pardon my ignorance bcos always thought P trap and Strap only allows for the change in WC position used for the bigger "" WC units like many of Toto models and not a full shift of the position. But well if can be done and approved then why not.

Yeah we did a Full mod in our previous unit as well as that one was out of no choice as it was original cond and many of the kitchen cabinets were like rotten haha. So we bought it prepared to do so.

Pardon my ignorance bcos always thought P trap and Strap only allows for the change in WC position used for the bigger "" WC units like many of Toto models and not a full shift of the position. But well if can be done and approved then why not.

np bro, that why we are all here to share knowledge with one another.. So that we can learn more stuff and know what can do and what cannot do. :)

sharing is caring :)

Edited by Ahyong81

dear all to those who does heavy cooking can pls advise is open concept kitchen good? how is the maintenance like? i cook daily and currently i do mop almost after every cooking as the oil will splash on the floor.. now wan to explore open kitchen but afraid i may have a bigger area to clean daily.. =(

is open or close more practical? just need some advise. anyone using induction hob on top of the gas hoob? care to share your experience? thank you thank you

sorry have to reorganise the layout again. many wants.. so have to think where to splurge... may leave certain areas alone..

main bulk will be kitchen. shld we do carpentry (wardrobe) for all the rooms instead of just master? any advise on this? i have two young kids. i saw many ready made to be quite nice too and not too costly. just that have to carry upstairs.. may be a hassle for the workers.. just my two cents

laundry in EM, been trying to scratch our head how to handle the bulk laundry.. in the end decided to create a yard area behind the kitchen not sure if it will be unsightly...do not want to use the balcony for laundry as we will make it into part of our living area... any ideas are welcome!

As long as one dont meddle with the structural slab of the wc and walls or relocating the orginal piping of the wc, it will not be of any issue. Its just a matter of using different connector wc and extra pvc piping to connect to the exisiting piping build by HDB :) No waste pipe is conceal under the flooring.

And concealing waste or water pipe within the structural slab/wall. This is not allowed in HDB rules. What my ID did was just to use additional PVC pipe and connect to the original waste pipe, and then build a low hollow block wall to hide the additional PVC pipe. Like I mentioned before, a lot of ID will tell their customer they cant do it because if they never do a proper waterproofing at your toilet, it might become an issue in the future. As long as the works are properly carried out, and waterproofing testing is done and passed.

Extract from HDB rules on renovation

Types of Work
Subject to the Following Guidelines/ Conditions
*Concealed waste/ water pipes in floor finishes/ wall
  • Floor slab and wall must not be tampered with
*Such work is discouraged as it may cause water leakage to lower floor unit if the work is not properly carried out.
Extract from HDB renovation website on erecting walls
wall_zpscxjdr6d6.jpg

Below is the image to explain how its works :)

toilet_zpscn9zjn7g.jpg

The waste pipe was not conceal at all within the floor slab, floor tiles and original wall and wall tiles. :) hope the pictures explain everything. If one decided to relocate their wc using the above method, please ensure your id/contractor to make sure that the workmanship is good and the connector is secure properly, if not later s*** might come out... :P!

thank u ahyong81! very very detail..

For me. I did a full glass sliding door open to both side for my open kitchen. See my id 3d design. With clear glass i still have that open concept view. I also will be cooking a lot and i dont want the oil or smell go over to the living room and bedrooms.

is open or close more practical? just need some advise. anyone using induction hob on top of the gas hoob? care to share your experience? thank you thank you

If living room is air conditioned, better dont do open concept. Cooking fumes spill over and cooling area increased.

Open concept means less walls, less cabinet. From your post, you cook a lot, With lots of cooking apparatus as well.

Planning for storage may be challenging.

sorry have to reorganise the layout again. many wants.. so have to think where to splurge... may leave certain areas alone..

main bulk will be kitchen. shld we do carpentry (wardrobe) for all the rooms instead of just master? any advise on this? i have two young kids. i saw many ready made to be quite nice too and not too costly. just that have to carry upstairs.. may be a hassle for the workers.. just my two cents

If budget allow, then go for carpentry. At least you get a uniform theme and also full height wardrobe compere to off the shelf.

Off the shelf type often leaves sapce at the top, a wastage and a magnet for dust. Anything chuck into that space is unsightly as well.

Anyway, if dont do carpentry now, chances of doing it later are pretty slim.

Laziness and taking the easy way out is human nature. Me included. :bleah:

laundry in EM, been trying to scratch our head how to handle the bulk laundry.. in the end decided to create a yard area behind the kitchen not sure if it will be unsightly...do not want to use the balcony for laundry as we will make it into part of our living area... any ideas are welcome!

Do you plan to have a dryer? I used to be against having a dryer, considering cost etc. Prefer the "bamboo" dry style.

At the new place, I was being demanded for a dryer, so gave in and never look back.

Nowadays, simply wash, spin dry then gas heater dry. No more bamboos, hanging of clothes, collecting after dry etc etc.

Time saved use for other things. I got gas dryer and water heater package. A happy end user. :good:

My 2 cents, not sure whether it will help? :) For laundry, if you're not intending to use the balcony for laundry, then I think actually it makes sense to get a dryer like OceanEleven mentioned. If I'm not wrong, your EM still has the old-style open short-pipe way to hold the bamboo poles, which I think is quite dangerous if you want to dry large things like bedsheets (wet bedsheets = heavy = one end of the bamboo pole very heavy = dangerous if you're leaning out of the window to hook it into the pipe openings). When my family moved into a unit with the same setup, we gave up and bought a dryer, which is a life-saver for things like bed sheets. Just have to do a bit more ironing. Frankly, although the electricity/gas for running the dryer is more than the $0 for the bamboo poles, it's not that much in return for some peace of mind and safety.

Bamboo pole drying is safer if you have an upgraded bamboo rack (those with the T outside the window, so the outside end of the bamboo pole is supported) or if you do it at the balcony.

Is there a reason why you want to do open kitchen? Most of the people I've seen with an open kitchen self-profess to not cook that much or they don't do a lot of oily cooking (steaming and baking only) etc. Also, some people have also mentioned how they needed to "fence" off their open kitchen to prevent their kids from running in. The other way is to get a really strong hood (like the Fujiohs) that can help mitigate the amount of oil on the floor after cooking. Personally because I intend to cook a lot next time I will be wanting a non-open kitchen + a strong hood.

For me. I did a full glass sliding door open to both side for my open kitchen. See my id 3d design. With clear glass i still have that open concept view. I also will be cooking a lot and i dont want the oil or smell go over to the living room and bedrooms.

thank u ahyong81!

My 2 cents, not sure whether it will help? :) For laundry, if you're not intending to use the balcony for laundry, then I think actually it makes sense to get a dryer like OceanEleven mentioned. If I'm not wrong, your EM still has the old-style open short-pipe way to hold the bamboo poles, which I think is quite dangerous if you want to dry large things like bedsheets (wet bedsheets = heavy = one end of the bamboo pole very heavy = dangerous if you're leaning out of the window to hook it into the pipe openings). When my family moved into a unit with the same setup, we gave up and bought a dryer, which is a life-saver for things like bed sheets. Just have to do a bit more ironing. Frankly, although the electricity/gas for running the dryer is more than the $0 for the bamboo poles, it's not that much in return for some peace of mind and safety.

Bamboo pole drying is safer if you have an upgraded bamboo rack (those with the T outside the window, so the outside end of the bamboo pole is supported) or if you do it at the balcony.

Is there a reason why you want to do open kitchen? Most of the people I've seen with an open kitchen self-profess to not cook that much or they don't do a lot of oily cooking (steaming and baking only) etc. Also, some people have also mentioned how they needed to "fence" off their open kitchen to prevent their kids from running in. The other way is to get a really strong hood (like the Fujiohs) that can help mitigate the amount of oil on the floor after cooking. Personally because I intend to cook a lot next time I will be wanting a non-open kitchen + a strong hood.

thank u thank u.. now have to talk to ID to reorganise my kitchen again... been wanting something like wet n dry kitchen but seems quite hard.. yes yes.. strong hood.. that i got to start reading about it.. fujioh is good? i heard brandt has a new one with no chimmy and strong suction (according to the sales guy).

laundry.. u r right about the dryer but hub still prefers the conventional way and the option to hang the clothes out.. (must try to convince him) , we do plan for dryer and even some hanging system like what ahyong81 has installed.. =) and maybe a yard area to separate the kitchen n yard area coz my current ones has the laundry hanging quite near my hob... din want to repeat the same mistake...