Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi Lazyfatcat007!!

Actually I think I probably got the idea from your renotalk t-blog! Haha! I remember reading it somewhere and so when we were looking at the scary quote and zooming in on the expensive line items I looked at my husband and just jokingly said someone on renotalk is not tiling her kitchen and he was like... Oooh why not.

Haven't checked in (and not sure whether we would) with parentals but it will probably cut maybe a few thousand dollars off the budget so seriously considering it. We're thinking only do backsplash tiling, everything else just wash and wear and hope for the best. :P

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hahaha! Ya, my idea was also to save money.. just the backsplash at the cooking area And I do not have upper cabinets too...My ID was like ??? I just told him that if backsplash plus tiles, it would be weirder :P Also if I stick with paint, I can just change colour of the paint when I want... if tiles, then I cannot hack mah.. lol... my warped reasoning

Hi twinklecloud!

Haha yeah when we first found out about the timelines for our EM purchase we also thought, wah, so much time, can think very slowly for reno liao. Cos we were coordinating to do our 1st HDB appt 2-3 weeks after the owner has her 1st HDB appt (something about a bridging loan??) so that her purchase of her new place can be done around the same time as ours and then chop-chop reno so that they won't have to stay too long at their own place even after 2nd appt. So we gave them 2 months extension as well as delayed our own 1st HDB appt. Then with CNY etc... Haha. We actually exercised our option on 5 October so we were looking at 5-6 months delay before we could get our own keys.

Then I'm the kind that needs to have everything planned out properly and does a lot of research for stuff so use this time to keep thinking and thinking.

Gosh we had our first proper full quotation from an ID yesterday and the price was faint! ;_; EM big so price tag also very big! We already have a proper budget spreadsheet with all the smaller items (furniture, appliances, lighting etc) factored in so we knew exactly how much we were willing to spend on the reno itself and the quote was way over. Now hoping that other people can quote more reasonably and finding ways to shave off some $$!

Now thinking maybe don't need to fully tile the kitchen, just paint with wash and wear paint, not sure whether feasible. I know the parentals would frown on it but nowadays got hood and air fryer so husband and I are thinking it's worth it (and saves quite a tidy sum!!).

Balcony? Haha think we are still set on having it as a proper balcony. We've been told that it's possible that HDB would not approve the wooden trellis/pergola we had in mind but need to check with ID/contractor what the issue is so that we can change the idea somehow. Actually the biggest headache is the doors from the living room to the balcony! We wanted to get bifold/trifold doors between the living room to the balcony so that you can open them fully and we didn't like having bottom rails (which you would need if you get sliding doors because I've never seen top-hung sliding doors go across 5 metres!) but most of the quotes coming back for such a long bifold/trifold door are really expensive!

I totally agree with the ID quotes ricepapergirl. I just started on my own renovation journey on my Executive Apartment and the initial quote by my ID scared me :jawdrop: But after speaking to another 2-3 ID, the quote was quite similar and that reassured me a bit that I wasn't a carrot head... Still haven't decided to start my own T-blog yet... Think my renovation is very minimal only :thumbs up:

Hi twinklecloud!

Haha yeah when we first found out about the timelines for our EM purchase we also thought, wah, so much time, can think very slowly for reno liao. Cos we were coordinating to do our 1st HDB appt 2-3 weeks after the owner has her 1st HDB appt (something about a bridging loan??) so that her purchase of her new place can be done around the same time as ours and then chop-chop reno so that they won't have to stay too long at their own place even after 2nd appt. So we gave them 2 months extension as well as delayed our own 1st HDB appt. Then with CNY etc... Haha. We actually exercised our option on 5 October so we were looking at 5-6 months delay before we could get our own keys.

Then I'm the kind that needs to have everything planned out properly and does a lot of research for stuff so use this time to keep thinking and thinking.

Gosh we had our first proper full quotation from an ID yesterday and the price was faint! ;_; EM big so price tag also very big! We already have a proper budget spreadsheet with all the smaller items (furniture, appliances, lighting etc) factored in so we knew exactly how much we were willing to spend on the reno itself and the quote was way over. Now hoping that other people can quote more reasonably and finding ways to shave off some $$!

Now thinking maybe don't need to fully tile the kitchen, just paint with wash and wear paint, not sure whether feasible. I know the parentals would frown on it but nowadays got hood and air fryer so husband and I are thinking it's worth it (and saves quite a tidy sum!!).

Balcony? Haha think we are still set on having it as a proper balcony. We've been told that it's possible that HDB would not approve the wooden trellis/pergola we had in mind but need to check with ID/contractor what the issue is so that we can change the idea somehow. Actually the biggest headache is the doors from the living room to the balcony! We wanted to get bifold/trifold doors between the living room to the balcony so that you can open them fully and we didn't like having bottom rails (which you would need if you get sliding doors because I've never seen top-hung sliding doors go across 5 metres!) but most of the quotes coming back for such a long bifold/trifold door are really expensive!

hi ricepapergirl,

5-6 months!! that's really a good time to plan for everything! u are so organized! i havent even have my items factored in.. looking the figures by ID was really jaw dropping and there is RENO only.. can share your budget?

yeah.. the bifold doors is not cheap especially those with no bottom tracks.

can explore many other options.. get a few more quotation since u have the time.. =)

I totally agree with the ID quotes ricepapergirl. I just started on my own renovation journey on my Executive Apartment and the initial quote by my ID scared me :jawdrop: But after speaking to another 2-3 ID, the quote was quite similar and that reassured me a bit that I wasn't a carrot head... Still haven't decided to start my own T-blog yet... Think my renovation is very minimal only :thumbs up:

shpesft,

if your place can do minimal and still in good condition, then best to keep minimal. as EA and EM has huge area hence the huge price tag.

so u started your reno already? how long your reno takes?

shpesft,

if your place can do minimal and still in good condition, then best to keep minimal. as EA and EM has huge area hence the huge price tag.

so u started your reno already? how long your reno takes?

Unfortunately, it's going to be a complete revamp. The entire house has the original HDB tiles (15 year old unit) with an extremely low false ceiling from the previous owner, it's lowered all the way to the bedroom door frame level :dunno:

Dining%20to%20Living%201.jpg

Living%20Room%201.jpg

Since its a almost complete Reno, I will do a complete revamp. Still waiting for HDB permit though I have collected my keys last week.

Edited by shpesft

Unfortunately, it's going to be a complete revamp. The entire house has the original HDB tiles (15 year old unit) with an extremely low false ceiling from the previous owner, it's lowered all the way to the bedroom door frame level :dunno:

Dining%20to%20Living%201.jpg

Living%20Room%201.jpg

Since its a almost complete Reno, I will do a complete revamp. Still waiting for HDB permit though I have collected my keys last week.

shpesft, wow.. the false ceiling looks retro though.. hehe.. but i do agree it has to go. so u have already applied for the HDB permit? have u chosen ID and are u hacking everything else?

shpesft, wow.. the false ceiling looks retro though.. hehe.. but i do agree it has to go. so u have already applied for the HDB permit? have u chosen ID and are u hacking everything else?

haha... I would agree the living room false ceiling looks really retro. Reminds me the inside of a curved roof. Unfortunately, didn't take a full photo of how it looks like. The dining room area false ceiling has stained glass like lighting panels as well (Sorry forgot to take photos)

Permit has been approved and hacking started yesterday :)

Retro false ceiling!! Our unit also has the most lovely old-style flowery cornices and this super elaborate chandelier-connection ceiling decoration but sadly it all has to go for our rewiring. I half wanted to keep it.

Below is the image to explain how its works :)

toilet_zpscn9zjn7g.jpg

The waste pipe was not conceal at all within the floor slab, floor tiles and original wall and wall tiles. :) hope the pictures explain everything. If one decided to relocate their wc using the above method, please ensure your id/contractor to make sure that the workmanship is good and the connector is secure properly, if not later s*** might come out... :P

I agree with Ahyong that it is possible to change the wc position. It is how the ID works with the plumber/contractor.

I just love EM! :)

I agree with Ahyong that it is possible to change the wc position. It is how the ID works with the plumber/contractor.

I just love EM! :)

thank you for popping by! it is feasible just have to pay abit more for the plumber to do the work!

finally decided on the layout.

1. closed kitchen

2.roof up the balcony to make it part of the living hall

3. created a yard behind the kitchen for laundry

4. change the direction of the staircase

5 convert the dining area to "study"

6. change one position of the WC. (decided not to change too many as it's costly.)

7. create a playarea for the children

now need to hunt for aircon quotation... anyone has any good aircon man to recommend?

My friend has a similar layout and their ID used the areas mark as "Void" on the second floor to create a wardrobe for the MBR and a small store room above the stairs. Of course area under the stairs is a store room too.