Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

thanks DoubleEM. i think i may stick to gas cylinder to be on the "cheaper" side..

in the end did u do anything about your wall?

yes.. the wall is driving me crazy... must make sure they get it rectify and HDB is sloowww.....my friend did mention it's very troublesome and may drag hence it will drag my reno as well..

Mine was settled in a little under 2 weeks because it was causing my current cabinet to rot so I guess maybe that's why. You could try calling the HDB office an request to expedite as it is slowing your whole reno process and you have to move in by a certain deadline else you would be homeless:)

Else cc the email to the area MP :) it helps at times to get them working :) tried and testing with 24 hours response time call back.

Wall was fixed and once holes in the outside brick wall patch no more leaks

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Eurokera! It came with the place.

I got a Bosch gas hob for my new place because I still prefer to be able to control the heat easily... Just sharing my experience from using it for 8 months++

thanks bykaraane!!

your feedback isgreatly appreciated!

Mine was settled in a little under 2 weeks because it was causing my current cabinet to rot so I guess maybe that's why. You could try calling the HDB office an request to expedite as it is slowing your whole reno process and you have to move in by a certain deadline else you would be homeless:)

Else cc the email to the area MP :) it helps at times to get them working :) tried and testing with 24 hours response time call back.

Wall was fixed and once holes in the outside brick wall patch no more leaks

thanks!! tomolo the contractor will come by and take a look and see if it can solve soon.

Hi twinklecloud, thanks so much for the tip on calling up SP services! Unfortunately I got the same answer as you! (Although the guy handling my call seemed a bit unsure so I've sent them an email instead just to confirm). So now I'm also rethinking the kitchen to fit in LPG gas cylinders instead of piped gas. Sigh.

Hi twinklecloud, thanks so much for the tip on calling up SP services! Unfortunately I got the same answer as you! (Although the guy handling my call seemed a bit unsure so I've sent them an email instead just to confirm). So now I'm also rethinking the kitchen to fit in LPG gas cylinders instead of piped gas. Sigh.

ricepapergirl,

u r most welcome.. so have u started hunting for ID? =)

hmm.. dun sigh.. maybe it's a blessing in disguise? i heard gas cylinder are "generally" cheaper? =)

finally got the town council "contractor" to come by and they said they will "fix" the external wall as well as the roof in the place but it will take 3 weeks!!!:curse: then again this guy so called contractor claimed i can still go ahead with the reno as they will not touch anything internally.. everything will be fix externally.. :bangwall:so terrible..

Hi twinklecloud,

Yup, have been sending out requests for quotation to a few recommended ID/contractors, though we've only met up physically with one ID (quite a fruitful meeting but she hasn't replied with the quotation yet). Intending to meet up with the same ID again this weekend and meet another ID for the first time too this weekend. Also waiting for my colleague's super-recommended ID to come back from holiday. Nothing concrete yet, I can't even start my own T-blog! :D

Yeah, I'm sighing more because I've already planned out the entire kitchen with where everything is going to be stored. So have to go back to drawing board and figure out where to now put the stuff I initially intended to put under the hob (one deep drawer of pots and pans, two shallow drawers of cooking utensils) given the exact same space etc. Also, my fall-back plan was to go for an Ikea kitchen since it was cheaper than most contractor quotes, but with the worry of Ikea kitchen cabinets not being able to withstand the weight of the cylinders we will have to up our budget for the kitchen and use custom cabinetry...

Hi twinklecloud,

A few posts back you mentioned about getting a ceramic hob, any reason why you gave it up? My friend also recommended her ceramic hob (looks like the same brand as the one in your link but with two areas instead of one) and has been using it for years. I'm now trying to ask her whether it's been working well and how well does it work for things like woks where you need the all-around heat instead of just from the bottom.

Hi twinklecloud,

Yup, have been sending out requests for quotation to a few recommended ID/contractors, though we've only met up physically with one ID (quite a fruitful meeting but she hasn't replied with the quotation yet). Intending to meet up with the same ID again this weekend and meet another ID for the first time too this weekend. Also waiting for my colleague's super-recommended ID to come back from holiday. Nothing concrete yet, I can't even start my own T-blog! :D

Yeah, I'm sighing more because I've already planned out the entire kitchen with where everything is going to be stored. So have to go back to drawing board and figure out where to now put the stuff I initially intended to put under the hob (one deep drawer of pots and pans, two shallow drawers of cooking utensils) given the exact same space etc. Also, my fall-back plan was to go for an Ikea kitchen since it was cheaper than most contractor quotes, but with the worry of Ikea kitchen cabinets not being able to withstand the weight of the cylinders we will have to up our budget for the kitchen and use custom cabinetry...

dear ricepapergirl,

do not sigh..think of it that u are able to make changes before it become a reality! =) it's a blessing in disguise. unlike me. so headache over the kitchen design. neither here or there. haiz. unable to come to conclusion to have my "dream" kitchen. sianz.

there are just too many wants.. tot i have a "big" house now but ended like due to the configuration.. kind of hard to move most of my stuffs.

starting t-blog? i am sure u will after awhile.. as u are still in the midst of planning.. u are only getting your keys after cny right?

Hi twinklecloud,

A few posts back you mentioned about getting a ceramic hob, any reason why you gave it up? My friend also recommended her ceramic hob (looks like the same brand as the one in your link but with two areas instead of one) and has been using it for years. I'm now trying to ask her whether it's been working well and how well does it work for things like woks where you need the all-around heat instead of just from the bottom.

hi ricepapergirl,

yes yes. i was still thinking about it but the price is kind of steep and i havent manage to get any feedback on the hob hence decide not to get first... (well there are plenty of such deals at exhibition as we still have time) well if u have any feedback on the roman hob pls share!

anyone has any good window contractor and balcony roof to recommend? just got a quotation and it is not cheap to change the whole house windows plus grilles up.. :~ thinking of getting another quotation.

Hi twinklecloud,

You're right, it's good that at least I knew about it earlier and can factor it into my kitchen plans earlier. Brainstormed the whole day yesterday and came up with a better idea than my previous kitchen layout, now just hope contractor/carpenter can do and it's not too expensive! Sometimes these things are blessings in disguise I guess.

Hopefully can start reno t-blog soon, but yeah, 1st hdb appt still a month away and probably only getting keys in March, so slowly lor. Maybe after we've met a few more IDs/contractors I will start mine. :)

About the ceramic hob, my friend is using it for more than a few years and seems to like it. But for me I like to be able to use woks and tilt my frying pan for things like omelettes so I think I will still stick to gas. I would say that ceramic hobs are pretty good already given that you can use pretty much any type of cooking pan/pot on it.

Hi twinklecloud,

You're right, it's good that at least I knew about it earlier and can factor it into my kitchen plans earlier. Brainstormed the whole day yesterday and came up with a better idea than my previous kitchen layout, now just hope contractor/carpenter can do and it's not too expensive! Sometimes these things are blessings in disguise I guess.

Hopefully can start reno t-blog soon, but yeah, 1st hdb appt still a month away and probably only getting keys in March, so slowly lor. Maybe after we've met a few more IDs/contractors I will start mine. :)

About the ceramic hob, my friend is using it for more than a few years and seems to like it. But for me I like to be able to use woks and tilt my frying pan for things like omelettes so I think I will still stick to gas. I would say that ceramic hobs are pretty good already given that you can use pretty much any type of cooking pan/pot on it.

hi ricepapergirl,

glad to know u have a better idea to your kitchen!! :good: u r fast..havent first appointment then already started planning.. i wished i did that earlier then dun have to waste so much time.. haiz

ceramic hob.. i think we are still the traditional type.. hehe..i am going to use gas too.. maybe old school bah..hehe..

hope to see your t-blog soon too!!

have u decided on the roof? yours is close or open blacony? =)

Edited by twinklecloud

Hi twinklecloud!

Haha yeah when we first found out about the timelines for our EM purchase we also thought, wah, so much time, can think very slowly for reno liao. Cos we were coordinating to do our 1st HDB appt 2-3 weeks after the owner has her 1st HDB appt (something about a bridging loan??) so that her purchase of her new place can be done around the same time as ours and then chop-chop reno so that they won't have to stay too long at their own place even after 2nd appt. So we gave them 2 months extension as well as delayed our own 1st HDB appt. Then with CNY etc... Haha. We actually exercised our option on 5 October so we were looking at 5-6 months delay before we could get our own keys.

Then I'm the kind that needs to have everything planned out properly and does a lot of research for stuff so use this time to keep thinking and thinking.

Gosh we had our first proper full quotation from an ID yesterday and the price was faint! ;_; EM big so price tag also very big! We already have a proper budget spreadsheet with all the smaller items (furniture, appliances, lighting etc) factored in so we knew exactly how much we were willing to spend on the reno itself and the quote was way over. Now hoping that other people can quote more reasonably and finding ways to shave off some $$!

Now thinking maybe don't need to fully tile the kitchen, just paint with wash and wear paint, not sure whether feasible. I know the parentals would frown on it but nowadays got hood and air fryer so husband and I are thinking it's worth it (and saves quite a tidy sum!!).

Balcony? Haha think we are still set on having it as a proper balcony. We've been told that it's possible that HDB would not approve the wooden trellis/pergola we had in mind but need to check with ID/contractor what the issue is so that we can change the idea somehow. Actually the biggest headache is the doors from the living room to the balcony! We wanted to get bifold/trifold doors between the living room to the balcony so that you can open them fully and we didn't like having bottom rails (which you would need if you get sliding doors because I've never seen top-hung sliding doors go across 5 metres!) but most of the quotes coming back for such a long bifold/trifold door are really expensive!

Hi, I'm also not tiling my kitchen! Nice to know that someone shares my thinking :)

[quote name="ricepapergirl" post="916627" timestamp="1448333204"

Now thinking maybe don't need to fully tile the kitchen, just paint with wash and wear paint, not sure whether feasible. I know the parentals would frown on it but nowadays got hood and air fryer so husband and I are thinking it's worth it (and saves quite a tidy sum!!).