Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
CutePinkElephant

Possible To Diy Whole House Painting?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

My 2 cents worth here.

Having done house painting for my place, it is no joke man given my floor area as its an exec flat.

For yours, it should be more manageable since its a 4 room flat though. Cost wise, it is very money saving since you only need to buy paints & save on the labour charges to paint since you are the one painting, not others doing the painting for you.

BUT.. the thing is do you have the time and patience to do the painting? My house painting take some time to do as even after I have moved in already as I only did the major parts of the house like the living, dining, study room, MBR first 'cos of the furniture & lighting fixtures. This will give you an idea of how far are you going to be prepared just to do house painting alone. Also, painting requires some skills to be done esp with touch ups. That is why there are professional painters in the market.

All the best in your house reno! :)

Hi all, plan to DIY painting for my 4rm hdb flat + ceiling+door , isit worth and can save more?

Hi all, plan to DIY painting for my 4rm hdb flat + ceiling+door , isit worth and can save more?

I DIYed my previous 4rm flat. The walls are not too bad and I did save quite a bundle. Ceiling is no joke and door is tough too. Remember ceiling you are working against gravity and it is super tiring. The paint use for the door is different and will be tougher to paint too.

But yes, it is possible, yes, you will save $$, but it's a lot of hardwork and time.

Like Keltong say, the paint used for doors & gate is different. Those type of paints are the glossy paints & belongs to the oil based type. Those paints for walls, ceiling are water based so they're easier to wash off than the oil based ones. You need to wear gloves for painting the gates/doors if you don't want to end up having very sticky hands or have paint dripping onto your hands. Else, you will need to scrub harder when you wash up.

I DIYed my previous 4rm flat. The walls are not too bad and I did save quite a bundle. Ceiling is no joke and door is tough too. Remember ceiling you are working against gravity and it is super tiring. The paint use for the door is different and will be tougher to paint too.

But yes, it is possible, yes, you will save $$, but it's a lot of hardwork and time.

oughhh...after read it seems not easy to diy hor.. :bangwall: really thanks for the feedback ;)

by the way how much roughly for 5L paint per tin har?

if i diy, can it safe around 1k? hehehe......if can i'll try diy first lor...if cannot make it so step by step paint till next year whauwhawuawhuaw....

The price now for both Nippon & ICI is roughly around 30-60 bucks depending on which category they classify their paints under for 5 L though. You should go down to the paintshop to have a clearer look but should be cheaper overall. Prob would set you back by 200-300+ for the paints?

BTW, paint the ceiling first since it is the most important thing to do before fixing the lights. It should never be done after you've finished painting the walls. :) Happy DIYing

oughhh...after read it seems not easy to diy hor.. :bangwall: really thanks for the feedback ;)

by the way how much roughly for 5L paint per tin har?

if i diy, can it safe around 1k? hehehe......if can i'll try diy first lor...if cannot make it so step by step paint till next year whauwhawuawhuaw....

Yes it is possible though. I saved at least 1 k by doing my own DIY-ing, just bought the paints, brushes and ta da

thanks BunBun,how about like if we ask the professional to paint cost 1,3k include paint for 4 rm unit, and if we diy maybe only 300, so it can save almost 1k? isit possible? HAHAH... 8|

It's easier if the house is empty, as in you have not move in yet. I've painted both type of houses before. Paint will cost $100 to $200, depending on type and quantity, roller brush is a must.

Really arrrrrrrrr... :sport-smiley-004::sport-smiley-004::notti::notti::notti: if like that absolutely i will DIY lerrrrrrrrrrrrr......... :dancingqueen: safe almost 1k ler :deal:

thanks thanks

find a fren who knows how to paint and buy him KOPI...sit down and ask him to teach you the steps, the stuffs to get. or else your DIY painting will turn out becoming DIY GRAFFITI

find a fren who knows how to paint and buy him KOPI...sit down and ask him to teach you the steps, the stuffs to get. or else your DIY painting will turn out becoming DIY GRAFFITI

all my friend tai -tai ler only me maid of tai tai :( hahahah...share share experience ler how to diy :notti: the unit only 5years, anything i need to do before painting? thanks alot

before u paint your new color on the old walls, u need to clean the walls, cover the holes. Then paint one/two layers of emulsion paint, then 2-3 layers of your new paint

before u paint your new color on the old walls, u need to clean the walls, cover the holes. Then paint one/two layers of emulsion paint, then 2-3 layers of your new paint

what is emulsion paint? sorry im very new in reno :(:dunno:

thanks

Sorry for interrupting but a question you might be interested in too. What's the worst thing that can happen if you're a newb and you want to DIY paint your own home??

to cutepinkelephant : You're going to DIY paint your own home, but are you going to engage contractors in other aspects like carpentry etc.? I was wondering in let's say my current home is not move-in condition and needs major hauling, so i think it's unlikely for the painting to be done by myself since i already engage contractors to do the whole house?