Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
bluewater

Our Home @ Holland

Hi fellow members,

Renotalk has been an enriching place for me to gather notes prior to renovation. Have been ups and downs even before the works got started cos' I was supposed to engage a highly recommended contractor (by many here), but bad experiences forced me to pull the handbrake and decided to settle for another (non internet based) whom was recommended by my colleague. Thank god, discussion with him was so much smoother with no hiccups and pleasant experience till date. For selection of tiles, the contractor has even gave me a lift to and fro.

Finally now, I got bit of time to start a T-blog for my first home @ Holland area.

My floor plan:

floorplany.jpg

Some before makeover Pics:

house1.jpg w615.png

Main Entrance

house2t.jpg w615.png

Living hall - kitchen

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/6862/kitchenu.jpg

Kitchen

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/3937/house6s.jpg

Kitchen

http://img200.imageshack.us/i/house3x.jpg/

Master toilet

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/1069/house4.jpg

Master bedroom

* Sorry to direct link cos' I can't seem to link smoothly for the latter 4 pics... :(

We'll be doing a full overhaul for my place as below:

1. To hack all required areas - living hall/kitchen & service yard/storeroom/2 toilets. *edited - no hacking on bedrooms*

2. To clear all debris

3. Supply & lay homo tiles for living hall, kitchen & storeroom w/ skirting (average $3.20/psf as I chosen tiles of different pricing)

4. Supply & lay laminated flooring (Krono-swiss Noblesse) at 3 bedrooms w/ silencer foam

5. Replace 1 set aluminium bifoldable door at common toilet

6. Replace 1 set tempered glass swing door at master bedroom

7. Replace existing main gate with customised iron bar gate

8. Labour to install cooker and hood

9. Replace 4 pcs veneer doors & main door (Outsourced to Yon Tat)

10. Supply and install 1 suspended vanity cabinet at master bedroom toilet c/w hard solid surface top

11. To supply and install 15.5ft kitchen cabinet c/w laminate finish and dish rack / full height storage unit

12. 1 pc breakfast table top with laminate finish

13. Black Galaxy Granite table top at kitchen cabinet

14. Supply and install 14ft TV console cabinet with laminate finish **** hall

15. Supply feature wall behind TV console with laminate finish **** hall

16. Supply 9ft sliding door built in wardrobe at master bedroom with laminate finish

17. Supply & install 1 set TV console w/ storage shelves at master bedroom

18. Supply 6ft sliding door built in wardrobe at bedroom 2 with laminate finish

19. Labour to install WC/basin etc

20. To plaster 4 rooms & kitchen rockstone ceiling + plaster touch up for whole house

21. To paint whole house using ICI

22. To install false ceiling w/ L-box **** hall

23. To install false ceiling at master bedroom

24. Wiring all required points

25. Replacing power sockets and switches from MK

26. Relocate master bedroom entrance c/w hollow block wall / new door frame

27. Install 4ft full height shoe cabinet at main entrance c/w laminate and glass finish

28. To replace existing window to alum. sliding windows

29. Lay floor & wall tiles for 2 toilets up to ceiling height

30. Water proofing for 2 toilets

31. 1 set shower screen at master toilet

32. Replace hot and cold s/s pipings at 2 toilets

33. Box up piping @ Master toilet & partial box up of upper piping @ common toilet

34. Replace kitchen entrance existing sliding door to frameless sliding glass door

35. Install TV shelving console @ Bedroom 2

36. Install dressing table w/ storage drawer & mirror @ Master Bedroom

37. Replace existing & supply window grille

38. Box up master bedroom aircon trunking

39. Install 3m study table w/ storage wall hung cabinet @ Bedroom 3

40. Install 8ft half height wall hung shoe cabinet @ living hall

41. Install 1m width long stretch mirror @ main entrance

42. Supply 6ft sliding door built in wardrobe at bedroom 3 with laminate finish

43. Install cornice for Bedroom 2 & 3

*Red=Newly added items

** Latest quote @ $40k

Total quoted was $30+ k, which was the lowest from other ID's quotes & from 1-2 contractors who are quite popular at Renotalk but service is questionable based on their initial follow up. After some thought, we did not want to waste anymore time to source out for the cheapest (in the first place, is there one we can call cheapest???) and the experience with this contractor is by far the best. No alibaba time wasting and no aeroplanes running across our heads. Thus, we don't mind paying slight more, even if it turns out so, for his great service & follow up. Somemore, he draws himself on the designs he proposed. Swee~ :D

General works will start coming Monday. Let's hope things progress as sweet. Wish me luck, guys! :horse:

Edited by bluewater

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Congrates on ur new home and hope u have a smooth reno journey coming Monday! :D

Price doesn't matter lar. Most impt is that u guys like ur place and are happy staying in it. :)

Hi bluewater :) glad that u start yr renovation liao . Rem seeing yr post some time back at one of the thread

stay cool and keep us update on yr reno

see ya ard

Simon

Guest Goobii

Welcome to QUEENSTOWN estate... I am at Dover....

your place look good~! why waste on renovation... maybe redo wiring and do up some minor renovation is enough... about 10k can do alot of wonders.

Guest Goobii

I saw something which your contractor never help you to save money...

1. To hack all areas - living hall/kitchen & service yard/3 bedrooms/storeroom/2 toilets.

2. To clear all debris

3. Supply & lay homo tiles for living hall, kitchen & storeroom w/ skirting (average $3.20/psf as I chosen tiles of different pricing)

4. Supply & lay laminated flooring (Krono-swiss Noblesse) at 3 bedrooms w/ silencer foam

BEDROOM no need to HACK flooring... just hack side skirts can already....

Angel81, Mickey_M, kelvinkezz, necrosis, supersimon27,ossify & Goobii > Thanks so much for your heads up!!! Will update in due course ;)

ossify> I selected my tiles @ Hup Kiong.

Goobii> Perhaps I took good pics on my lousy hp... haha... In person, the condition is not as good as shown & btw, the house is of 13yrs old. Ohhhhh, my apologies for overlooking. Bedroom flooring not hacking. haha. Replace laminated flooring instead. Moi type too fast. Too excited perhaps. :P

Angel81, Mickey_M, kelvinkezz, necrosis, supersimon27,ossify & Goobii > Thanks so much for your heads up!!! Will update in due course ;)

ossify> I selected my tiles @ Hup Kiong.

Goobii> Perhaps I took good pics on my lousy hp... haha... In person, the condition is not as good as shown & btw, the house is of 13yrs old. Ohhhhh, my apologies for overlooking. Bedroom flooring not hacking. haha. Replace laminated flooring instead. Moi type too fast. Too excited perhaps. :P

ok thanks, may i check if you went yourself or if you went with contractor and what discounts did you get?

what tiles did you go for?

Hi fellow members,

Renotalk has been an enriching place for me to gather notes prior to renovation. Have been ups and downs even before the works got started cos' I was supposed to engage a highly recommended contractor (by many here), but bad experiences forced me to pull the handbrake and decided to settle for another (non internet based) whom was recommended by my colleague. Thank god, discussion with him was so much smoother with no hiccups and pleasant experience till date. For selection of tiles, the contractor has even gave me a lift to and fro.

Finally now, I got bit of time to start a T-blog for my first home @ Holland area.

My floor plan:

floorplany.jpg

Some before makeover Pics:

house1.jpg w615.png

Main Entrance

house2t.jpg w615.png

Living hall - kitchen

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/4365/house5.jpg

Kitchen

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/3937/house6s.jpg

Kitchen

http://img200.imageshack.us/i/house3x.jpg/

Master toilet

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/1069/house4.jpg

Master bedroom

* Sorry to direct link cos' I can't seem to link smoothly for the latter 4 pics... :(

We'll be doing a full overhaul for my place as below:

1. To hack all areas - living hall/kitchen & service yard/storeroom/2 toilets. *edited - no hacking on bedrooms*

2. To clear all debris

5. Replace 1 set aluminium bifoldable door at common toilet

6. Replace 1 set tempered glass swing door at master bedroom

7. Revarnish existing main door c/w door stopper

8. Labour to install cooker and hood

9. Replace 4 pcs veneer doors

10. Supply and install 1 suspended vanity cabinet at master bedroom c/w hard solid surface top

11. To supply and install 15.5ft kitchen cabinet c/w laminate finish and dish rack / full height storage unit

12. 1 pc breakfast table top with laminate finish

13. Hard surface table top at kitchen cabinet (using A slide)

14. Supply and install 14ft TV console cabinet with laminate finish **** hall

15. Supply feature wall behind TV console with laminate finish **** hall

16. Supply 9ft sliding door built in wardrobe at master bedroom with laminate finish

17. Supply & install 1 set TV console w/ storage shelves at master bedroom

18. Supply 6ft sliding door built in wardrobe at bedroom 2 with laminate finish

19. Labour to install WC/basin etc

20. To plaster 4 rooms & kitchen rockstone ceiling

21. To paint whole house using ICI

22. To install false ceiling w/ L-box **** hall

23. To install false ceiling at master bedroom

24. Wiring all required points

25. Replacing power sockets and switches from legrand

26. Relocate master bedroom entrance c/w hollow block wall / new door frame

27. 1 set divider at main entrance c/w laminate and glass finish

28. To replace existing window to alum. sliding windows

29. Lay floor & wall tiles for 2 toilets up to ceiling height

30. Water proofing for 2 toilets

31. 1 set shower screen at master toilet

32. Replace hot and cold s/s pipings at 2 toilets

33. Replace kitchen entrance existing sliding door to timber framed sliding glass door

Total quoted was $30+ k, which was the lowest from other ID's quotes & from 1-2 contractors who are quite popular at Renotalk but service is questionable based on their initial follow up. After some thought, we did not want to waste anymore time to source out for the cheapest (in the first place, is there one we can call cheapest???) and the experience with this contractor is by far the best. No alibaba time wasting and no aeroplanes running across our heads. Thus, we don't mind paying slight more, even if it turns out so, for his great service & follow up. Somemore, he draws himself on the designs he proposed. Swee~ :D

General works will start coming Monday. Let's hope things progress as sweet. Wish me luck, guys! :horse:

Hi Blue...

Welcome to RT-Blog.

Looks like you are all well prepared and we are all awaiting to see your new house transformation.

Cheers!

:yamseng:

ossify> We went with contractor as mentioned above. In fact, he discounted $1k less from finalised quote & that's provided I choose the tiles from one factory @ Defu Lane. However, we ended up choosing all @ H.K cos' nothing fancied @ Defu. Best still, he still gives us the discount. We got those homo tiles from China. Not any of premium kind. Design wise we are quite satisfied though.

Happypie/CJREDDEVIL > Thanks peeps. Yea do agree that it is in shift-in condition but some areas are not really well accepted by us. However, we intend to stay long there & thus decided to go for a new full change plus the fact that we bought below val. for the unit. Similar to those freaks who want new car smell, no 2nd hand cars for them. haha. Will update next week :D