Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
garion

Recommendation For A/v Receiver And 5.1 Speakers

what de...fernando's identity have been discovered! any chance u a Liverpool fan? ;)

now this HTS getting more complicated then i thot..

k, so that means i have to get the speakers before reno ah??

otherwise how to lay cables before doing the L box, tio?

and if run via this way, the speakers would have to be wall mounted near the ceiling?

cant imagine the thot of the cable trunking in the middle of the wall behind the sofa...

one more to ask, if i occasionally decide to swap position of my tv to the other wall, can i just

unplug the cables from the mounted rear speakers and plug onto the front ones?

oh wait...this dun sound right...dun tell me to run the cables at ceiling top means must have

feature wall also to run from receiver up to ceiling across to the other side...?

Aww crappp.... :(

Sorry, HTS newbie...only 5.1 setup i had was the creative set for my PC years ago...Lol

YNWA,

El Nino

Yes. Sadly Ive been a long suffering Red fan.

Back to HTS. Yes, you can order the speakers 1st but no need to physically take them.

Lay out the cables 1st (Im assuming youre not using wireless rear speakers) before doing L box.

Your contractor would know what to do. If he doesnt, then he's inexperienced.

There's just 2 cables "falling out from the back wall. The L & R rear speaker. Dont fret as it common.

You can mount the rear speakers closer to the ceiling. No worries as the speakers can be tilted downwards.

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=27134.570

Check this thread out for illustration.

And welcome to the Hi Fi world.

Cheers

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Yes. Sadly Ive been a long suffering Red fan.

Check this thread out for illustration.

And welcome to the Hi Fi world.

Cheers

hah...finally a Reds fan in my midst...YNWA vincenzo, YNWA... :yamseng:

this forum is swamped by MANUre fans heh... :bleah:

anyway, thanks for the heads up on the mounting and installation...

me and wife hooked on some great sounding audio during our window shopping sessions...

now she wants to have a HTS at home, time for me to learn some HTS jargons...

whats one of the better priced shops in Adelphi?

can i realistically say i need more than 2k for entry mid level amps, sub and speakers?

YNWA,

El Nino

hah...finally a Reds fan in my midst...YNWA vincenzo, YNWA... :yamseng:

this forum is swamped by MANUre fans heh... :bleah:

anyway, thanks for the heads up on the mounting and installation...

me and wife hooked on some great sounding audio during our window shopping sessions...

now she wants to have a HTS at home, time for me to learn some HTS jargons...

whats one of the better priced shops in Adelphi?

can i realistically say i need more than 2k for entry mid level amps, sub and speakers?

YNWA,

El Nino

Yep. 2-3K can get you a decent set up. 5 speakers + 1 sub + 1 receiver plus cables.

Shops @ Adelphi - try KEC & look only for Clarence or Alan.

Most brothers in this forum have bought the DefTech + velodyne sub as their set up. their receivers are mostly Denon.

Do try the Onkyo or Yamaha receivers for comparison.

Heard Babel might be exchange for Huntelaar of AC Milan. Sounds like a good partnership for El nino.

Cheers

Yep. 2-3K can get you a decent set up. 5 speakers + 1 sub + 1 receiver plus cables.

Shops @ Adelphi - try KEC & look only for Clarence or Alan.

Most brothers in this forum have bought the DefTech + velodyne sub as their set up. their receivers are mostly Denon.

Do try the Onkyo or Yamaha receivers for comparison.

Heard Babel might be exchange for Huntelaar of AC Milan. Sounds like a good partnership for El nino.

Cheers

Wicked...i'll drop by KEC some day then..

ok ok...new terms...DefTech and velodyne...i normally read up WhatHiFi or their forums for some

fresh tech info as well...just getting more into the HiFi groove nowadays...

If that happens, El Nino new partner in crime would be "The Hunter"...fearsome right?

Trust Rafa to spoil this tho with his frustrating team selection and tactics... :bangwall:

YNWA,

El Nino

Edited by El Nino_Al Nito

Wicked...i'll drop by KEC some day then..think i rmbrd looking for this place few months ago after

reading up at HWZ forum but only saw KEF...den since we not sure we walk ard some more...den

my wife saw KFC across the road, needless to say.....emptied our wallets on food instead...hah!

ok ok...new terms...DefTech and velodyne...i normally read up WhatHiFi or their forums for some

fresh tech info as well...just getting more into the HiFi groove nowadays...

If that happens, El Nino new partner in crime would be "The Hunter"...fearsome right?

Trust Rafa to spoil this tho with his frustrating team selection and tactics... :bangwall:

YNWA,

El Nino

Hey, couldn't wait till next wed for installation so just did a self-collect on my speakers and receiver(Onkyo) from KEC today..fixed up my 3.0 speakers and played them with HD starhub..better than sound from TV..gonna try on Bluray tml..next wed they will come and do up the rear speakers and deliver my Velo CHT-8Q..can't wait..

That makes us trio of Liverpool fans..I think Torres would do fine alone with support coming from the back..we don need another 'Crouch'...Just get a good support striker in case Torres is not playing..

Hey, couldn't wait till next wed for installation so just did a self-collect on my speakers and receiver(Onkyo) from KEC today..fixed up my 3.0 speakers and played them with HD starhub..better than sound from TV..gonna try on Bluray tml..next wed they will come and do up the rear speakers and deliver my Velo CHT-8Q..can't wait..

That makes us trio of Liverpool fans..I think Torres would do fine alone with support coming from the back..we don need another 'Crouch'...Just get a good support striker in case Torres is not playing..

aha...another Red... :yamseng:

haman1...are you Didi in disguise? :P

Rafa wun get one...he already has his lover boy Lucas, grumpy Stevie G and a 20mil sub to play that part...just read he wants a right back instead...Gawwwd!

oh, so you laid cable first for rear speakers using the default ones or got yourself some new cables?

im thinking, if not up on the walls, maybe speakers stands would do for the rear LR and front LR satelites? but then would need a thick carpet to run the cables across the hall at the sofa area......

YNWA,

El Nino

aha...another Red... :yamseng:

haman1...are you Didi in disguise? :P

Rafa wun get one...he already has his lover boy Lucas, grumpy Stevie G and a 20mil sub to play that part...just read he wants a right back instead...Gawwwd!

oh, so you laid cable first for rear speakers using the default ones or got yourself some new cables?

im thinking, if not up on the walls, maybe speakers stands would do for the rear LR and front LR satelites? but then would need a thick carpet to run the cables across the hall at the sofa area......

YNWA,

El Nino

hi..nope...i'm not Didi in diguise..though my nick close to him..

yup..i laid my surround cables first before doing the false ceiling..i went to purchase surround cables myself...belden 1309 i think..can be bought at LHS shop in Sim Lim Tower..

hi..nope...i'm not Didi in diguise..though my nick close to him..

yup..i laid my surround cables first before doing the false ceiling..i went to purchase surround cables myself...belden 1309 i think..can be bought at LHS shop in Sim Lim Tower..

hi, care to share how much you paid for the belden 1309 cables, is the quality good? i will need to get the cables first before doing the false ceiling..

Normal cables would suffice.

I rather you get them from the hi-fi shop rather from the contractor. Contractors normally give you the skinny black & red ones.

Pay a bit more for a better cable since the cables will forever be stuck in the ceiling. A good speaker cable is about S$1.50 per metre.

Cheers

what sort of termination should we be getting if i'm taking either the denon or onkyo a/v receiver? banana, spade or ring?

hi, care to share how much you paid for the belden 1309 cables, is the quality good? i will need to get the cables first before doing the false ceiling..

Hi, I think is 4-6 bucks per meter..forgot abt it..paid 80 bucks together with 8pcs of banana plugs..belden 1309 i think or another 13xx...anyway the shop mentioned since it's for surround, no need to be too thick..

what sort of termination should we be getting if i'm taking either the denon or onkyo a/v receiver? banana, spade or ring?

Hi, you can get the cables first with the exposed wires tape up to prevent oxidisation( spelling?). When you got the speakers and receivers you can decide on the type of connections u need..

I bought spares banana plugs just in case and after buying my receiver and speakers, they were not needed..

Hi, I think is 4-6 bucks per meter..forgot abt it..paid 80 bucks together with 8pcs of banana plugs..belden 1309 i think or another 13xx...anyway the shop mentioned since it's for surround, no need to be too thick..

oh thanks for the info.. how much more allowance should i buy for the surround speaker cables?

for the front and central speakers, what sort of cables should i get then?

Hi, you can get the cables first with the exposed wires tape up to prevent oxidisation( spelling?). When you got the speakers and receivers you can decide on the type of connections u need..

I bought spares banana plugs just in case and after buying my receiver and speakers, they were not needed..

haman, thanks for your help.. can the termination be done by us?