Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
bluskye

bi-fold glass door

I read from the sporebrides forum that someone used the pddoor and that it jams & gets stuck.

Ask their price carefully. You top up from the basic cost if U want more color, more panel, glass etc.

Anyway the pddoor isnt quite what Im looking for.

I saw how the retail shops pple try to close the fold door, wow..not easy. and I think the cost of the track alone will be a bomb! Cant imagine the glass panel.

Hmm... you referring to this post?

http://www.singaporebrides.com/forumboard/...html?1146881127

If you follow the user "ruru"'s discussions and comments, you'll find it a bit weird. Seems like he/she's trying to market Besglas. p/s I'm not trying to defame any1, but juz to remind everyone to be careful ;) . Any1 can type anything on such forums, but readers should be able to discern the rights and wrongs themselves.

Anyway I just called to check out pddoors.

For a basic 3"x7",

1 door - $278 each (price inc installation. If no installation, $238)

2 doors - $268 each

3 doors - $258 each

Any1 else tried pddoors before? How issit? :bangwall:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

normal bifold door (local) one should be ard $170-180.

besglass bifold door will be ard $300+ i think.

I won't be doing my renovation just as yet, but am spending loads of time researching for materials, and decide what I want. Thought I'd share my decision process in choosing a glass door for external space:-

Things to consider:-

1) Do you want a fixed partition or a moveable partition? Bear in mind that whilst a fixed glass partition is alot cheaper, you need to understand the air flow of your home. Glass will let the light pass through, so that's not a problem. What's often neglected is the consideration of airflow.

2) The size of the area that you want this glass determines what type of door control mechanism you need. Common mistake is the use of heavy wood, and the rolling mechanism is not strong enough to move the wood/glass panels after awhile. (mistake at my sister's house a few years ago)

3) Do you want frameless glass doors or are framed glass doors acceptable. Huge cost difference, but that's not the important thing. The important thing is, frameless glass doors are good for internal spaces. The smallest gap between the "best" maker of frameless glass panels is 4mm. This means that if you use a cheapo contractor for this, the gap will be larger. Think about the aircon cool air escaping, the noise from exterior sources, noise from rain etc.

4) I have found out from Dorma, the German door control expert (they have the best operating door mechanisms for glass panels, be it sliding, swing or folding doors that the cost is NOT on the glass but the mechanisms that are made to operate the doors smoothly. From Dorma, there are 3 types of folding mechanisms, and these are all seen at shopping malls:-

a) Bi-fold; where panels of glass are attached to one another, and you only need to push from the outmost piece to manuvouer the panels to open/close

b) Individual panels; where you need to move panel by panel to open/close

c) Telescopic; where one push from the outermost panel, creates a chain reaction to the rest of the panels, and depending on your force, each panel will move progressively in differing degree.

Most banks and shops use the slide and park system, where each glass is a standalone. Slide each piece of glass one by one, and push them to a parking bay, and then they close the swing door to conceal the glass.

No one should even think about using Dorma unless you have deep pockets. EACH glass panel is estimated to cost $1,500. This is a prorated cost. I found out alot about how these glass doors are to be installed and what are the considerations, but I won't go into detail. If you are really interested, bring your floor plan to a Dorma distributor and ask what sort of mechanism suits your space.

5) Although Dorma is elegant and very classy, because it is not water tight, I have no choice but to forgo the use of Dorma, well I think so, unless I can find a use of their services elsewhere in the house. Instead, I found the best alternative. It is NOT frameless but it suits my needs for the garden space which I need to keep air out. The manufactuer is BestView http://www.window.sg/index.htm Click on the tiny round dots at the side of each picture to see the great flexibility of its mechanisms. It can operate as a sliding door and a casement swing out door!

Hope this helps other forummers.

I won't be doing my renovation just as yet, but am spending loads of time researching for materials, and decide what I want. Thought I'd share my decision process in choosing a glass door for external space:-

1) Do you want a fixed partition or a moveable partition? Bear in mind that whilst a fixed glass partition is alot cheaper, you need to understand the air flow of your home. Glass will let the light pass through, so that's not a problem. What's often neglected is the consideration of airflow.

No one should even think about using Dorma unless you have deep pockets. EACH glass panel is estimated to cost $1,500. This is a prorated cost. I found out alot about how these glass doors are to be installed and what are the considerations, but I won't go into detail. If you are really interested, bring your floor plan to a Dorma distributor and ask what sort of mechanism suits your space.

Hope this helps other forummers.

frankly speaking, $1500 or less to do a toilet door in sg sure there r someone who is willing to. but to do a same bi fold as in the shopping centre(vivo city have a lot) , u must think of your toilet ceiling allowance. as it need a huge space if it is to be use it in house toilets. shoppping is big so it look ok. there are cheaper way to do a frame less bi fold but no one will do it as it look urgly. haha. think u use a better frame bi fold, sliding n fold, or frameless pivot door will do. all this is range from $400 -$500 for a good one.

anyone knows where and how much for these doors? U can see them at shopping centers - used for shop doors.

Hi pebsb,

Dunno if this can help you, I'll be getting 2 bi-fold doors with mirrors directly from supplier. If you want i can PM you the supplier's no. then you can ask him if he can do your door & how much.

My bi-fold door each one cost $230 - it's aluminium frame

Best Regards :good:

Edited by mel

Hi pebsb,

Dunno if this can help you, I'll be getting 2 bi-fold doors with mirrors directly from supplier. If you want i can PM you the supplier's no. then you can ask him if he can do your door & how much.

Hi Mel

Can pm me your supplier contact? And do you have any pix to show.

Hi pebsb,

To those who had been curious on how my Mirror Bi-fold door looks like, here it is. The mirror makes my toilet 'disappear' - like david copperfield illusion :lol::notti:

11196095_3accbeaf1213463626_m.jpg

The door frame is made of aluminium

11196130_20805dfc1213463754_m.jpg

• Like 1