Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
lachesis

Our Ea In Bishan

:D .... oooh... exciting times :D

eh... :unsure: has Jaskel recovered frm Food Poisoning yet?

... else...

there will be lotsa running... to the loo :P :P

:o

Kvn

Eat "Poh Zhi Wan" and went to the loo 2 times before meeting up.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
you like the common bathroom? that one give was giving Jason & us a big headache to design - bloody WC at such an odd location...the wizard will help us come up with something interesting i'm sure.

@jaskel: thanks bro for yesterday. after your long day (& still recovering) still come & do this for us & then sit at the coffee shop until midnight to go through the design :bow: u da man! :good:

No problem bro, we had a date arranged last week. Just a bit blur and can't think of any gd ideas at that moment.

hey hey hey........ finally huh!

And so it begins...The Extreme Makeover

remove all the window grills AGREE! and i'm prepared to get all the nagging

Cornices and ceiling lights way too 'busy'. AGREE! enough is enough. less is more

Bedroom Door - going to just stain it and change the handles. AGREE!

Master Bathroom - also needs major overhaul - first to go, the bath tub. AGREE! concentrate on a gd rain shower!

am bloody convinced that many owners previously went to buy the tiles together, LIKE REALLY TOGETHER. otherwise, why is every ex owners used almost the same kind of tiles!

MBRBathrm.jpg

Stay tuned - going to select tiles this Sunday. Go hafary if possible! there is good...

am bloody convinced that many owners previously went to buy the tiles together, LIKE REALLY TOGETHER. otherwise, why is every ex owners used almost the same kind of tiles!

Stay tuned - going to select tiles this Sunday. Go hafary if possible! there is good...

:lol: makes you wonder doesn't it...you know 15 yrs down our kids will be saying the same thing about our selections too ;)

yes...Harfary it is

:lol: makes you wonder doesn't it...you know 15 yrs down our kids will be saying the same thing about our selections too ;)

yes...Harfary it is

keep your options open about the tiles yeah! have a look and get a feel of what you like before picking it!

you like the common bathroom? that one give was giving Jason & us a big headache to design - bloody WC at such an odd location...the wizard will help us come up with something interesting i'm sure.

@jaskel: thanks bro for yesterday. after your long day (& still recovering) still come & do this for us & then sit at the coffee shop until midnight to go through the design :bow: u da man! :good:

location is odd? shall look at the floorplan later ah... just like it cos it's huge !

location is odd? shall look at the floorplan later ah... just like it cos it's huge !

ya its a bit weird, the shower head is just across the WC, take 1 shower & the entire WC will be drenched...need to move things around

hey hey hey........ finally huh! ...remove all the window grills AGREE! and i'm prepared to get all the nagging...Master Bathroom - also needs major overhaul - first to go, the bath tub. AGREE! concentrate on a gd rain shower!

Yeah, finally. I guess being really busy at work was a good thing for once - kept me busy enough not to fret over the waiting. HAHA. Er, nagging over the grills?

Yup, for the MBR bath, if the pressure is enough, can consider the Raindance rainshower. :dribble:

Haha, exactly. Guess that was the fashion then, just as rectangular tiles are the fashion now. Things always come back in fashion again though, just like mosaics are making a come back. But am not going to hang on to the current look of the bathrooms hoping it comes back in fashion! :P Seriously though, think it's safer to go for simple designs that won't go out of fashion too fast.

keep your options open about the tiles yeah! have a look and get a feel of what you like before picking it!

I'm anticipating that there will be an overwhelming amount of choice (= more headache on what to choose!), but yeah, gonna keep our options open. Hope that if we see any we "die die must have" won't be too pricey! *note to self - bring magic calculator along for Jason.

Edited by lachesis

The Harmony of Tiles

Spent about four hours on Sunday selecting our tiles - Hafary definitely is the place to go! Here are some tips we thought to share on choosing tiles :)

Tip # 1 - The tiles should SPEAK to you

The most obvious type of tile in this category - what Jason now calls the "Love at First Sight Tiles". The ones that you just must have, even if it costs thrice what you budgeted. You can then build your tile selection around this tile.

For those on a budget, stand at the shelf where the tiles are in your budget range, and wait for something to speak to you. There will definitely be some that appeal to you straight away, colour wise, or texture wise

Tip #2 - Let there be HARMONY

My star sign is Libra, so harmony is important for me. ;) The in thing now is having more tiles to create funky designs, but imo it should look like some thought had gone into the design, not just a rojak selection of tiles that you like.

Harmony in TEXTURE

Choosing two tiles with the same texture but a different colour creates harmony in texture. Conveys a sense of deliberate continuity since our brains naturally seek out patterns.

Harmony in COLOUR

Choosing tiles in the same colour family (can be different in texture) creates harmony in colour. Having shades of the same colour is aesthetically attractive and again conveys a sense of deliberate continuity.

Tip #3 - LESS is MORE - most of the time

Choosing more tiles for one room (e.g. bathroom) does not always equal more funky, more interesting. Don't forget - when selecting tiles we only see one small section of the tile, not a large area covered in the tile. Choosing 10 different tiles for say, a bathroom will end up just looking like rojak. The selection should look like some thought has gone into it, why certain tiles match others, or why this tile and not another one.

We really have to give credit to Jason who gave us some really good ideas on how to play with colours and textures. After we'd chosen about three or four tiles, he noticed that the hubby and I were picking 'cosy' tiles, i.e. matt, warm, earthy tones. But we didn't let the theme ('cosy', 'modern' etc) limit us - we just decided to keep an open mind, and just have fun! In the end, it's our house... so as long as WE like it... we'll go for it! :P

Stay tuned to see how our cosy bathrooms turn out... ;)

Edited by lachesis

ya its a bit weird, the shower head is just across the WC, take 1 shower & the entire WC will be drenched...need to move things around

hmmm, so did you manage to move the configuration around ? it is really a wretch having to keep wiping and drying the WC, especially when u urgent to do NUMBER 1 !!! ( i knw cos at mum place, the WC is ALWAYS WET )

The Harmony of Tiles

Spent about four hours on Sunday selecting our tiles - Hafary definitely is the place to go! Here are some tips we thought to share on choosing tiles :)

Tip # 1 - The tiles should SPEAK to you

The most obvious type of tile in this category - what Jason now calls the "Love at First Sight Tiles". The ones that you just must have, even if it costs thrice what you budgeted. You can then build your tile selection around this tile.

For those on a budget, stand at the shelf where the tiles are in your budget range, and wait for something to speak to you. There will definitely be some that appeal to you straight away, colour wise, or texture wise

Tip #2 - Let there be HARMONY

My star sign is Libra, so harmony is important for me. ;) The in thing now is having more tiles to create funky designs, but imo it should look like some thought had gone into the design, not just a rojak selection of tiles that you like.

Harmony in TEXTURE

Choosing two tiles with the same texture but a different colour creates harmony in texture. Conveys a sense of deliberate continuity since our brains naturally seek out patterns.

Harmony in COLOUR

Choosing tiles in the same colour family (can be different in texture) creates harmony in colour. Having shades of the same colour is aesthetically attractive and again conveys a sense of deliberate continuity.

Tip #3 - LESS is MORE - most of the time

Choosing more tiles for one room (e.g. bathroom) does not always equal more funky, more interesting. Don't forget - when selecting tiles we only see one small section of the tile, not a large area covered in the tile. Choosing 10 different tiles for say, a bathroom will end up just looking like rojak. The selection should look like some thought has gone into it, why certain tiles match others, or why this tile and not another one.

We really have to give credit to Jason who gave us some really good ideas on how to play with colours and textures. After we'd chosen about three or four tiles, he noticed that the hubby and I were picking 'cosy' tiles, i.e. matt, warm, earthy tones. But we didn't let the theme ('cosy', 'modern' etc) limit us - we just decided to keep an open mind, and just have fun! In the end, it's our house... so as long as WE like it... we'll go for it! :P

Stay tuned to see how our cosy bathrooms turn out... ;)

excellent advice and observations from a fellow home owner.. because a toilet is only so big (or small), the tiles must complement each other in terms of colour and texture (though i picked like 4 wall tiles, 1 mosaic and 1 floor tiles.. :P.. but i swear they complement each other!)

budget is an important component too and for this I appreciate, from the bottom of my heart, Jason's efforts to bringing us to over 10 tile shops, not only to check out different tiles, but also to compare the prices across them! my advice is when you go around the tile shops, while keeping a lookout for new tiles, also keep a lookout for those tiles you have selected earlier.. the shop might offer a better price! An eg is the mosaic i bought costs 12.36psf only, while another costs 18psf!

however, the love at first sight (LAFS) tiles thingy must be taken with a pinch of salt.. what you love this time, might change the next time you look at it, given wifey and my experience at SBH! So either chiong one day (buy all the LAFS tiles one shot), or pick then take a breather, look at the tile again. The second choice would be a pain in the arse I promise you, but I believe it will lead you closer to your "dream" tiles :D

i quite agree with darkfear. I made altogether not 1, not 2 but 4 trips down to the tiles shops!!! The first time, we were gushing over what the sales guys recommended, took tons of tiles back...in the end, relook and start finding fault. Only 1 tile can fit our expectations. So back and forth same thing happens until we found all the tiles. Trust me....the process was painful and tiring. but now, i can appreciate my hard work by going home and seeing my beautiful tiles and super shiok feeling when people commented my tiles are great. :D

however, the love at first sight (LAFS) tiles thingy must be taken with a pinch of salt.. what you love this time, might change the next time you look at it, given wifey and my experience at SBH! So either chiong one day (buy all the LAFS tiles one shot), or pick then take a breather, look at the tile again. The second choice would be a pain in the arse I promise you, but I believe it will lead you closer to your "dream" tiles :D

i quite agree with darkfear. I made altogether not 1, not 2 but 4 trips down to the tiles shops!!! The first time, we were gushing over what the sales guys recommended, took tons of tiles back...in the end, relook and start finding fault. Only 1 tile can fit our expectations. So back and forth same thing happens until we found all the tiles. Trust me....the process was painful and tiring. but now, i can appreciate my hard work by going home and seeing my beautiful tiles and super shiok feeling when people commented my tiles are great. :D

To each his own really...in our case we are already happy with our choices, no point going back just for reassurance. for instance we feel that even though SBH is huge, the tile selection process (we personally feel) is not customer oriented, there's no "free-play" element for you to be able to mix-match the pieces to see the final look, yea sure you get the samples but like most other shops you can mix their showroom & bring back the samples.

We actually went to Hafary at 10am, but they apparently open late on Sunday, so we went to 2 other tile shops - selection not fantastic, but it was the appetizer to what Hafary had to offer, & we pretty much made up our minds at Hafary on our selection. Already tired, we went to grab lunch & refreshed went on to SBH. The visit to SBH only compounded our decisions made at Hafary :)

Came back home, watched a bit of TV & relooked at our selections - perfect, we knew what we wanted! :D

hmmm, so did you manage to move the configuration around ? it is really a wretch having to keep wiping and drying the WC, especially when u urgent to do NUMBER 1 !!! ( i knw cos at mum place, the WC is ALWAYS WET )

ya my sentiments exactly! still figuring the out if there is a way, but it looks like gotta settle for a wet WC, maybe not drenched, but i think will get some splashes...oh well ;)

Went down to Balestier on Sunday to look at sanitary ware, but it turned out to be a lighting trip instead. :P After a few shops we both came to an 'awful' realisation - to have the most impact for the dining light, we'll have to consider one with crystals.

Why 'awful'? B'coz just thinking of dust collecting on those pretty pretty crystals is enough to make me cringe. I was finally persuaded when I wrangled out of the hubby a promise to help clean the crystals. Heh heh heh. :sport-smiley-004:

Went to a few places before finding a dining light we like. The rest of the house was quite easy to settle. Now for the shocker...

For the same kind of downlight, lightings.com.sg was selling it $10 less - per piece! Same finishing, same Australian ballast! :jawdrop:

Now just to make one more trip to see if we can find an even nicer dining light, and one last trip to A lightings to compare prices, and see if they have these kind of bedside lamps.

@Jaskel - Remember these lamps? You said you know where to find. Can you tell us where?

Bedside_Swing_Lamps.jpg