Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Sweet! I love the full length windows and high ceiling! And I see the renovators very conscientiously laid protection over all the floors, good job!

The Fontana Arte Floor Lamp looks fantastic - really chic and elegant! :) How much are you expecting to pay for it?

Sweet! I love the full length windows and high ceiling! And I see the renovators very conscientiously laid protection over all the floors, good job!

The Fontana Arte Floor Lamp looks fantastic - really chic and elegant! :) How much are you expecting to pay for it?

I find it surprising that your ID didn't lay protection for you... even more surprising is that you didn't tell her about it right away.

Kerio you're a man of good taste! About the lamp. It's something like 1500 euros (we're shipping it in from Germany). I love floor lamps but SG doesn't seem to sell many of them...

In other news, the ceiling guys cut the hole for the light trough today. This costs us a few hundred dollars more to make... but I think the end result will be fantastic. The concrete bit will be covered with a piece of black acrylic, with holes for the lights. Here's what it looks like now.

5237909257_c707f87042.jpg

1095-P.jpg

Calligaris Cruiser

Just bought dining chairs (finally!), again from XZQT, this time served by Hasnul.

We went back to XZQT last night with the intention of getting another chair actually, but Hasnul said firmly, "No, the colour of the legs don't match your table. You shouldn't get it." He recommended similar styles from a catalogue, but I'm quite hesitant to buy things which I cannot see for real. Plus I have to wait till January for it to arrive. Looked around a bit more and spotted these, which are nice and slim. So we just went with it.

Thank goodness Hasnul dissuaded us from the original chair, because I got 4 pieces of Cruisers for the price of that 1 chair alone. *whew*

Money saved! Is always a good thing. Now this is a proper sales person :)

Potential buys for the place:

Orion_Ambiente_4_h.jpg

Christina Kröncke Orion Light

toobo_sta_1_1269592683.png

Fontana Arte Floor Lamp

Toobo

Thanks guys. Toobo lamp looks great in the pictures... I'm just hoping it will look as nice in a real life setting. We bought the version on the left.

Not much as happened since. The place is still in a mess. We're confirming the colour choices today (after countless changes! ah choices), so the painting can be done tomorrow.

It's december now and my west-facing windows are getting the brunt of the afternoon heat. It's really quite hot. The good thing is that the apartment is very windy so it's not stuffy. I'm wondering if there are window covering solutions that would block out some heat but not the airflow.

The ideal solution would be to install external sunshades so that heat wouldn't enter the apartment in the first place. But a few problems:

1. It's costly.

2. Our windows open outwards. The external sunshades I've seen are designed for inward opening windows.

3. The management is unlikely to approve it as it "affects the facade of the building". Even mirrored solar film is not allowed. -.-

I've used v-kool solar film before and it's great at blocking out UV but has insignificant effect on heat reduction. Anyone has any ideas? I'm at a loss here.

Thanks guys. Toobo lamp looks great in the pictures... I'm just hoping it will look as nice in a real life setting. We bought the version on the left.

Not much as happened since. The place is still in a mess. We're confirming the colour choices today (after countless changes! ah choices), so the painting can be done tomorrow.

It's december now and my west-facing windows are getting the brunt of the afternoon heat. It's really quite hot. The good thing is that the apartment is very windy so it's not stuffy. I'm wondering if there are window covering solutions that would block out some heat but not the airflow.

The ideal solution would be to install external sunshades so that heat wouldn't enter the apartment in the first place. But a few problems:

1. It's costly.

2. Our windows open outwards. The external sunshades I've seen are designed for inward opening windows.

3. The management is unlikely to approve it as it "affects the facade of the building". Even mirrored solar film is not allowed. -.-

I've used v-kool solar film before and it's great at blocking out UV but has insignificant effect on heat reduction. Anyone has any ideas? I'm at a loss here.

horizonal blinds. That''ll allow you to block out and/or redirect the sunlight, and at the same time allow for air to circulate.

@everton: do you use that at home? When you open the windows the blinds will flap around right? I need to find side guards for the blinds cuz it gets quite windy...

About choosing paint:

ICI Dulux has an intersting naming system. There's barely grey which looks barely white, and there is barely white looks barely grey.

We've gone the safe route this time and chosen most of the natural whites, and use the soft furnishings to add colour to the place.

@everton: do you use that at home? When you open the windows the blinds will flap around right? I need to find side guards for the blinds cuz it gets quite windy...

About choosing paint:

ICI Dulux has an intersting naming system. There's barely grey which looks barely white, and there is barely white looks barely grey.

We've gone the safe route this time and chosen most of the natural whites, and use the soft furnishings to add colour to the place.

Yes, I have horizontal wooden blinds that run from the top of the window down to the floor. No issue at all with it flapping around or being blown by the wind. They are heavy enough to withstand the wind. I've tried other window dressings such as curtains and roller blinds in my previous home. Roller blinds don't really block out the sun unless you get those with the black out material, but then that doesn't allow any light in. It's ok for the bedroom, I suppose, if you want to take a nap in the afternoons, but I've found the horizontal wooden blinds to be the best so far as it enables you to adjust the amt of light you want to have enter the room, as well as the direction. The blades or blinds come in different sizes. The ones I have are 2 inches each. The other thing I like about it is that they're easy to clean. Unlike curtains and roman blinds, you don't have to take them down to be washed. I just run one of those 'magic' duster thingys that dirt sticks to and, voila, they're all nice and clean again.

@everton: Ah. Good to know that they won't flap around. Will probably install that. Thanks!

Today some paint guys came over to spray paint the wooden skirting. It was originally finished in matt white (which got dirty really easily) and now it's a semigloss grey, like the colour of the window frame.

Until now the reno progress has been quite boring. Nothing much to show. Guess it'll become more exciting once the carpentry gets installed.

In the meantime, just thought I'd share some mood boards of the furniture that we'll be using around the space.

5246330017_983cc7ea18.jpg

We're not actually using the carpet, but I adore them colours.

5246329497_35fd9d2fdb.jpg

5246330405_a2b1dbf77c.jpg

Edited by january

The ceiling fan problem.

The original ceiling fan that we wanted, a KDK V60WK, is too large and would hit the track lights on the ceiling. My contractor suggested the small A11YS instead. But I suspect concerned that it would not be able to move enough wind in the living room. I don't need the fan to generate a tornado, but a light breeze. Any thoughts? My living room is about 5m x 4m.

If the A11YS is not enough that means I'll have to move the electrical point on the ceiling (either fan or track light) to space them out further. That means more hacking.

I wonder if KDK has come kind of return/exchange policy on their goods? Like if the fan is too small I'll go to the shop and exchange for a bigger one.

Edited by january

The ceiling fan problem.

The original ceiling fan that we wanted, a KDK V60WK, is too large and would hit the track lights on the ceiling. My contractor suggested the small A11YS instead. But I suspect concerned that it would not be able to move enough wind in the living room. I don't need the fan to generate a tornado, but a light breeze. Any thoughts? My living room is about 5m x 4m.

If the A11YS is not enough that means I'll have to move the electrical point on the ceiling (either fan or track light) to space them out further. That means more hacking.

I wonder if KDK has come kind of return/exchange policy on their goods? Like if the fan is too small I'll go to the shop and exchange for a bigger one.

ceiling fan works best in small enclosed areas and the area coverage is not wide, only areas below the fan. i used the AY11YS in my MBR, works like a charm.... but there are no L box or false ceiling etc. Read a review saying AY11YS cannot make it...

it really depends on your layout....if u are putting it in between tv and sofa, and the area is not too big, should not pose a problem. :)

have not heard of any return policy for kdk on the website

Ever considered the sycamore fan? It'll tie in with the rest of the designer pieces that you have. Its 54inches though. Or why not the 4 bladed kdk?

ceiling fan works best in small enclosed areas and the area coverage is not wide, only areas below the fan.

Thanks for your comments gimz. So the wind sensation can be felt only below the fan.. okay point taken. I only have standing fans in my current home so I'm not sure what to expect from a ceiling fan.

Could you tell me roughly how big your MBR is? Did you install your fan above the bed? I heard it's not good to do that...

Ever considered the sycamore fan? It'll tie in with the rest of the designer pieces that you have. Its 54inches though. Or why not the 4 bladed kdk?

sfk7, thanks for bringing this fan to my attention. Bold lines, but kinda looks like a knife? I don't want our elderly relatives to bit-ch/complain about the "knife" in the living rm so I should stay away from this right now.

edit: this forum is pretty tight on the censorship!

Edited by january