Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Thanks for your comments gimz. So the wind sensation can be felt only below the fan.. okay point taken. I only have standing fans in my current home so I'm not sure what to expect from a ceiling fan.

Could you tell me roughly how big your MBR is? Did you install your fan above the bed? I heard it's not good to do that...

sfk7, thanks for bringing this fan to my attention. Bold lines, but kinda looks like a knife? I don't want our elderly relatives to bit-ch/complain about the "knife" in the living rm so I should stay away from this right now.

edit: this forum is pretty tight on the censorship!

yeap its above my bed...why not good? its fabulous... switch it on at speed 1, cool air all night... :)

sleeping area is around 1.8 by 2.9m (can feel the effect of fan)

its also my first experience with ceiling fan... :)

that fan recommended by sfk7 as i understand from retailers is more for asthetic purposes, not much wind generated... January into fengshui..?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi gimz

I read in the KDK brochure that you shouldn't place a fan on top of a bed... I *think* they wrote that to disclaim liabilities if the fan should fall on somebody and injure them during their sleep. Either way, don't wanna scare you. Just trust that your fan is installed securely.

And yes, I'm quite superstitious...

Either way, I got the contractor to move the fan pt so that I can install a larger fan. It won't be in the centre of the room anymore, but I think that's okay.

On a different note, I sometimes feel that my contractor doesn't respect me? Sometimes there is a problem that I need him to solve, and sometimes I even offer him certain solutions but he just gives me all sorts of excuses to say that it cannot be done, i.e. the problem can't be solved. And then he goes into this whole lecture which can be summarised in the following sentence: "Why don't you buy a landed house... you can do anything you want!" (yeah, this guy sometimes just can't stop talking). I get the "your house is so small why are u bothering to do so many things" feeling from him...

And I think this has caused a bit of communication barrier between us. Sometimes I have to tell him to do something 3 or 4 times before he realises... At this rate I might be better off managing the whole reno myself, which is what I am almost doing right now.

I'm pretty sure this project will be go over schedule... Perhaps I shouldn't have told him we're in no hurry to move in in the first place. Because it's already taken so long. I'm getting bored.

[/rant]

Hi gimz

I read in the KDK brochure that you shouldn't place a fan on top of a bed... I *think* they wrote that to disclaim liabilities if the fan should fall on somebody and injure them during their sleep. Either way, don't wanna scare you. Just trust that your fan is installed securely.

And yes, I'm quite superstitious...

Either way, I got the contractor to move the fan pt so that I can install a larger fan. It won't be in the centre of the room anymore, but I think that's okay.

On a different note, I sometimes feel that my contractor doesn't respect me? Sometimes there is a problem that I need him to solve, and sometimes I even offer him certain solutions but he just gives me all sorts of excuses to say that it cannot be done, i.e. the problem can't be solved. And then he goes into this whole lecture which can be summarised in the following sentence: "Why don't you buy a landed house... you can do anything you want!" (yeah, this guy sometimes just can't stop talking). I get the "your house is so small why are u bothering to do so many things" feeling from him...

And I think this has caused a bit of communication barrier between us. Sometimes I have to tell him to do something 3 or 4 times before he realises... At this rate I might be better off managing the whole reno myself, which is what I am almost doing right now.

I'm pretty sure this project will be go over schedule... Perhaps I shouldn't have told him we're in no hurry to move in in the first place. Because it's already taken so long. I'm getting bored.

[/rant]

I included a clause that if Reno exceeds the handover date there would be a reduction in cost. But under the condition that i dont add any variations to the agreed works.

i've learnt that depend on yourself and trust yourself better. no one knows what you want better than you. plus if anything goes wrong, at least you blame yourself and not others. make sure you get your way! :)

Thanks for the encouragement everton and hermione. There have been several variation orders, mostly adding more powerpoints and not constructing some of the proposed built in furniture... so hopefully it will bring the total reno cost down a bit. Reno is going to continue till mid-January now. If nicknamed myself November or December, the reno would be done by now!

And lights are up, even though the place is still a mess.

These are LED tracklights from Lightcraft.

5260408399_114cae87aa.jpg

I've never used tracklights before but I think they give good level of lighting; though not quite as good as downlights for general purpose lighting. I like the ambience it gives though. Best thing - halogen-like lighting effect w/o the crazy heat! It's also very flexible. And if you find that it's not bright enough, you just need to buy another light and stick it on the track. Instant brightness.

Edited by january

Today -

Made progress payment.

Handover is 15 Jan 2011, about a 2 week delay due to the wallpaper having to be indented. Some of them we confirmed months ago, I don't know why he couldn't have just ordered them first?

Sounds so irritating. Sometimes the dateline to them is like a suggestion. I wonder if the contractors are actually kan chiong or not. I feel like my reno progress is so slow... irritating. wish they can speed it up too!

btw, ur furniture deliver so early, not scared it gets dirty or spoilt? cos mine is also delivering early, i'm wondering whether i should lock it in one of the rooms.

i like track lights too, and i also just went to lightcraft over the weekend, gonna buy from them too!

@hermione: Sometimes there are unforeseen circumstances that will lead to delays... My contractor is semi-retired which could explain why he's taking his own sweet time. Need to push him.

As for the sofa, it's wrapped up in layers of cloth and bubble wrap... should be okay. (I hope). But if you have a room where you can safeguard them, I say do it! Just don't unbox them until the right time.

Anyway for the tracklights, do note that they cannot be dimmed. Lightcraft probably don't carry the dimmer drivers. The first time when I went to choose the lights with the contractor I vaguely recalled her saying that it can be dimmed, but upon installation and finding out otherwise, I went back to lightcraft to check again. And this time the lady said, Oh no they can't be dimmed. I blame myself for not writing down the specs the very first time I was there, so at least I had something to back up my story. I don't actually mind that the tracklights can't be dimmed (they're not very bright in the first place), I just don't like being given misleading information. But since I'm not sure myself, I'll just have to suck it up.

Anyway for the tracklights, do note that they cannot be dimmed. Lightcraft probably don't carry the dimmer drivers. The first time when I went to choose the lights with the contractor I vaguely recalled her saying that it can be dimmed, but upon installation and finding out otherwise, I went back to lightcraft to check again. And this time the lady said, Oh no they can't be dimmed. I blame myself for not writing down the specs the very first time I was there, so at least I had something to back up my story. I don't actually mind that the tracklights can't be dimmed (they're not very bright in the first place), I just don't like being given misleading information. But since I'm not sure myself, I'll just have to suck it up.

I believe the track light can be dimmed if you are using halogen light but it will be all the lights in the track. :rolleyes:

I see you are using LED light... That explains why...

Edited by yeo99

hey btw did u manage to get discount from Lightcraft? I'm wondering if they are the kind that can give discount or is it nett price. about how much did u pay for your track lights?

i'm getting LED too, so i don't mind not being dimmable. will add other dimmable lights in the same space lor. lol.

@hermione: I got the lights through my contractor, so I don't know how much he paid for them. It's definitely lower than their price tags though. As for discounts, it doesn't hurt to ask.

@yeo99: I know there are dimmable LED lights around. They might be quite expensive which explains why lighting shops are not bringing them in.

Sounds so irritating. Sometimes the dateline to them is like a suggestion. I wonder if the contractors are actually kan chiong or not. I feel like my reno progress is so slow... irritating. wish they can speed it up too!

btw, ur furniture deliver so early, not scared it gets dirty or spoilt? cos mine is also delivering early, i'm wondering whether i should lock it in one of the rooms.

i like track lights too, and i also just went to lightcraft over the weekend, gonna buy from them too!

talking about this, mine even worse started since end sept or early oct..until now not completely done yet

am really annoyed now