Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
steelze

Sims Drive 5i

Sorry to hear abt problems you facing. Just take it that your reno will come to an end soon. Then no need to suffer all these headache.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Week 6

Haiz.. saw few things that bothered me when i went down to see the progress earlier.

Painting

I saw my supposed ICI Emulsion paint were actually from metal tins that don't carry any ICI logo or name or brand. WTH? Are they using pirated paint that just simply matched my ICI colour codes? I called my ID (Eric) for explanation. He said they were indeed ICI paint. Just that the painter company will normally purchase paint in big bulk. Then they will pour the selected colours into smaller metal tins to client's job site. :o he continued to add that it's very NORMAL for renovation to mix paint with water. Because if painter use pure paint only, it will be too thick. :unsure: So? Thick thick la? Wadever it is, what can i do? Ask him for proof? Re-paint everything? This will only delay my hand-over date. L L suck thumb... :dunno:

hey bro, finally get to read your t-blog... sorry can't comment much cos can't see any photos from photobucket in my office :P

for the paint, i have mentioned about the paint being stored in other brand's cans before. you can refer to my post here:

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?sh...st&p=579333

it is really quite a common practice, so don't get too worked up ya...? :) since you are also running short of time, just give the ID the benefit of doubt and move on la~

(well unless, unless... you found solid evidence that they are trying to cheat, then you should :curse::fire:)

wish that your last lap of reno journey will be smooth~ jiayou!! :yamseng:

Edited by marshmallow

hey bro, finally get to read your t-blog... sorry can't comment much cos can't see any photos from photobucket in my office :P

for the paint, i have mentioned about the paint being stored in other brand's cans before. you can refer to my post here:

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?sh...st&p=579333

it is really quite a common practice, so don't get too worked up ya...? :) since you are also running short of time, just give the ID the benefit of doubt and move on la~

(well unless, unless... you found solid evidence that they are trying to cheat, then you should :curse::fire:)

wish that your last lap of reno journey will be smooth~ jiayou!! :yamseng:

heyy marshmallow, thanks for the explanation. anyway, the colour on the wall look ok, i will just move on bah... i guess many ppl will have this misunderstanding. haha.. think next time my ID will inform his customers first, if not kena AK47 from them. :fire:

Kitchen Entrance

today glass company (Teck Guan, Mr Choo) came down to measure my kitchen glass swing door. He called me and gave me a shocking news!

Mr Choo: "Why your kitchen door opening not straight one? You asked cheap contractors to do ah? The top opening is more than 1/2 inches wide than the bottom openning. If i install the glass door, u will see bigger gap along the upper glass door than the lower side. very ugly one."

Although i didn't see it for myself, i roughly know what he meant. Called up my id again to inform him about this.

ID: "It's NORMAL for HDB wall. Because kitchen floor is slanted due to water level, and wall structure is not levelled......."

Me: "Waiit!! But this kitchen wall is newly built up by ur worker using hollow blocks. The uneveness should be accounted for when u guys build the wall mah." HDB floor slanted, ur wall must also slant meh? arghz...

Anyway, i am glad that he has asked his worker to rectify it now. Tmr will be resolved... hopefully...

Edited by steelze

Chemical Wash

ID told me chemical wash is only for kitchen and both bathrooms floor tiles. Living room and bedrooms no need. zhun bor? But my quotation he stated chemcial wash for house house flooring.

Bros out there, pls advise.

im not that convinced after reading marshmallow's explanation afterall, since the words come from a painter himself. :P

so why should it carry more weight than what an ID says? for all we know, the painter may be snooking the whole world.

But yes i agree that at a certain stage, we just want to get our renovation over and done with, thus turning blind eye to many things.

for the chemical wash, not sure if its needed but u can always tell ur ID that since he is not going to do the whole house, the fees would be pro-rated based on floor area. :) put your audit skills to good use!

im not that convinced after reading marshmallow's explanation afterall, since the words come from a painter himself. :P

so why should it carry more weight than what an ID says? for all we know, the painter may be snooking the whole world.

But yes i agree that at a certain stage, we just want to get our renovation over and done with, thus turning blind eye to many things.

for the chemical wash, not sure if its needed but u can always tell ur ID that since he is not going to do the whole house, the fees would be pro-rated based on floor area. :) put your audit skills to good use!

oh sorry i skipped some details.... :) i have seen the actual paint before and after they kept in the no brand cans, and was there during most of the painting too, so i'm sure the paint were correct. that's what prompted me to ask why they bothered to transfer to different cans.

and the painter i was chatting with, it was the working level pple, not the boss... no reason for him to cheat :P from my experience in working with technicians, usually the basic working level pple will not hide, it's their supervisor/bosses that will cover up.... ;)

Edited by marshmallow

yea... but the chemcial wash ($180) is FOC for me liao. but i will ask for chemcial wash for my living room bah... i see so many rubbish around, buay tahan already.

oh sorry i skipped some details.... :) i have seen the actual paint before and after they kept in the no brand cans, and was there during most of the painting too, so i'm sure the paint were correct. that's what prompted me to ask why they bothered to transfer to different cans.

and the painter i was chatting with, it was the working level pple, not the boss... no reason for him to cheat :P from my experience in working with technicians, usually the basic working level pple will not hide, it's their supervisor/bosses that will cover up.... ;)

i see i see....then it makes sense.

however, working level people can still chut pattern. Have heard of bangala stealing paint from town council to help house owners paint their house... and they charge real cheap prices becos their paint is free...

its good that you had new paint (opened freshly in your house). Some other unfortunate guy had to use the leftover paint from your house (quality might deteriorate).

OT for a short while. A sony repairman came to quote my friend for TV repair. However, my friend found it expensive and did not take up the offer. The repairman then gave him a name card and said this guy offered cheaper rate and then my fren then asked the sony repairman to help him arrange. repair man say ok.

Later in the evening that day, guess who showed up to repair my friends's tv? Sony repairman! *faint*... Just like to point out that the world out there is dirtier than we could imagine.

yea... but the chemcial wash ($180) is FOC for me liao. but i will ask for chemcial wash for my living room bah... i see so many rubbish around, buay tahan already.

woah thats damm sh1tty la.... everyone knows the profit margin is being marked up elsewhere...

but this is a relatively small prob la... u can just use bleach to clean urself also

its good that you had new paint (opened freshly in your house). Some other unfortunate guy had to use the leftover paint from your house (quality might deteriorate).

it's good to have new paint, but what to do with so much leftover? Actually I don't think painters want to "'cheat" by using other brands or thinning paint, but they do so by telling you need to buy so many (bc already earn comm when they buy right), but end up not using most of it. Either that, or in my case, painter painted lesser coats than they are supposed to ..

Later in the evening that day, guess who showed up to repair my friends's tv? Sony repairman! *faint*... Just like to point out that the world out there is dirtier than we could imagine.

alamak!! like that also can??

it's good to have new paint, but what to do with so much leftover? Actually I don't think painters want to "'cheat" by using other brands or thinning paint, but they do so by telling you need to buy so many (bc already earn comm when they buy right), but end up not using most of it. Either that, or in my case, painter painted lesser coats than they are supposed to ..

alamak!! like that also can??

Moonlighting very common out there, service technician use company spare parts do house repairs. Nothing to be surprised about. It's a win-win situation for all; technician earn extra pocket $, bypass company, customer also enjoy lower repair bill with SAME quality n workmanship. :D

Edited by neubie

Earlier glass man told me that kitchen entrance measurement not accurate. bottom opening is 1/2 inches (10mm to 12mm) more than top opening. He said not accurate, glass door will have visible line gap at the lower portion than the upper portion. ID said he will recitify it.

I re-measure it again, still different of 5mm to 8mm. I hope this can be acceptable. why so suay... got such problem... haizzzz :jawdrop:

i am using an older picture (2 weeks ago) to illustrate the measurement.

cockupkitchenentrance.jpg

i see i see....then it makes sense.

however, working level people can still chut pattern. Have heard of bangala stealing paint from town council to help house owners paint their house... and they charge real cheap prices becos their paint is free...

OT for a short while. A sony repairman came to quote my friend for TV repair. However, my friend found it expensive and did not take up the offer. The repairman then gave him a name card and said this guy offered cheaper rate and then my fren then asked the sony repairman to help him arrange. repair man say ok.

yup guess i'm lucky and my contractor ensured we got new paints. guess he was also wary of painting sub-con trying to cheat.

i get to keep all the leftover paints... so no unfortunate guy will be using my old paints ;)

and the Sony repairman story.... i actually found it quite funny hahaha~ oops :P

Earlier glass man told me that kitchen entrance measurement not accurate. bottom opening is 1/2 inches (10mm to 12mm) more than top opening. He said not accurate, glass door will have visible line gap at the lower portion than the upper portion. ID said he will recitify it.

I re-measure it again, still different of 5mm to 8mm. I hope this can be acceptable. why so suay... got such problem... haizzzz :jawdrop:

i guess 5mm is still okie... but if you are really not comfortable, better ask the ID to rectify it. else it will become your "eyesore" for years to come....

bro, on the acid wash, i read somewhere in RT before that for glossy homo tiles, acid wash *may* eat away the gloss. need to try on small area first before using on the entire house... your living room/bedroom tiles are glossy one, rite?

besides, use bleach to wash glossy homo tiles also not good. again, read this from RT some time ago.

found this thread... maybe you can read up first and ask your ID why acid wash not done in living room~ then can judge whether his answer is reasonable or not ;)

bro, on the acid wash, i read somewhere in RT before that for glossy homo tiles, acid wash *may* eat away the gloss. need to try on small area first before using on the entire house... your living room/bedroom tiles are glossy one, rite?

besides, use bleach to wash glossy homo tiles also not good. again, read this from RT some time ago.

found this thread... maybe you can read up first and ask your ID why acid wash not done in living room~ then can judge whether his answer is reasonable or not ;)

waa... marshmallow, u always have the same answer as my id!! hahaha.. he said mine is polished glossy homo tiles. tt's why cannot use chemcial wash. only general wash for living room and bedrooms with laminate flooring.

as for the kitchen door, i will ask Mr Choo come down and measure again see if he is ok with that 5 to 7mm gap.

2 more weeks to handover. but how come i still dun feel it... my place still a big mess all over. packet drinks from last week are still lying ard. carpentry measured, but yet to install. lighting, wc, sinks all not done yet. siao liao...