Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
gimz63251073

Height Of Shoe Cabinet / Rack

My parents have said its not good to store your shoes at a height above your head.

I asked around, some say they heard of this hear-say, most never hear before.

I am generally not a believer of such things, but am curious to find out how many people believe in this and how "no- good" is it?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
My parents have said its not good to store your shoes at a height above your head.

I asked around, some say they heard of this hear-say, most never hear before.

I am generally not a believer of such things, but am curious to find out how many people believe in this and how "no- good" is it?

I intend to do a full height shoes cabinet but my sis told me based on her logic is no good because whenever u want to take your shoes at the higher level, dust/dirt will eventually drop down and dirty your ownself...

After hearing, i find it true becos the shoes we wearing sure will be dirty mah, and even if you just want to put shoes box at the higher level, also no good, reason is, over the time, sure will have dust and how are you going to clean the upper shelves of the shoes cabinet? U need to bring down the shoes box and dust/dirt will fly around, then you still need to use a chair to climb up and hold onto the vacuum(suction pipe not long enough) to clear the dust, right? So, it is troublesome.....

So, do you satisfy with my answer?

My previous owner tall cabinet shoe rack. Bottom level for shoe, top level is empty, no partition, just a rod ...maybe for umbrella. So, maybe, he also check good or not..

I intend to do a full height shoes cabinet but my sis told me based on her logic is no good because whenever u want to take your shoes at the higher level, dust/dirt will eventually drop down and dirty your ownself...

After hearing, i find it true becos the shoes we wearing sure will be dirty mah, and even if you just want to put shoes box at the higher level, also no good, reason is, over the time, sure will have dust and how are you going to clean the upper shelves of the shoes cabinet? U need to bring down the shoes box and dust/dirt will fly around, then you still need to use a chair to climb up and hold onto the vacuum(suction pipe not long enough) to clear the dust, right? So, it is troublesome.....

So, do you satisfy with my answer?

oh mine is a 2metre tall cabinet only, not full height. I can take down if i tip toe.

I put shoes that i wear occassionally up at the top.

Cleaning is still ok, the shelves are all removable, so can take down to clean, though i think at most i clean once a year.

So from the practical aspect, mine is ok. From the Fengshui aspect..?

oh mine is a 2metre tall cabinet only, not full height. I can take down if i tip toe.

I put shoes that i wear occassionally up at the top.

Cleaning is still ok, the shelves are all removable, so can take down to clean, though i think at most i clean once a year.

So from the practical aspect, mine is ok. From the Fengshui aspect..?

"Superstitious" school of fenfshui emphasizes "意头"“&‘"形"”. Shoes are for foot, now put above head = monkeys lah, crows lah, lizards lah, 小人 lah having wild party on you top. Shoes = dirty, is a kind of "sha" = no good to human. Now want to put the "no good" on top? Sure "SWAY", all the way.

Any more to add?

Edited by bepgof

Putting shoes above one's head is for those retail shops selling shoes. Rental space is limited and expensive, so every bit of storage space counts, as such, must make best use of space. Whatever couldn't be accomodated at height level, must go above the head.

As for building shoe cabinets at or above height level, it gives me an "overpowering" feeling. Feels so odd. Just imagine if a flat has a giant shoe cabinet (those enclosed type) placed outside its main door, it gives people a very overpowering sensation as to how come the cabinet is bigger than the door? Or worse still, they might even think that the shoe cabinet is the main door!?!

hahaha

:rofl:

shoes u wear outside cumulatively dirty. Why put inside the house ?

my cabinet is outside the house, I don't like dirty stuffs to spolit my inner house environment.

shoes u wear outside cumulatively dirty. Why put inside the house ?

my cabinet is outside the house, I don't like dirty stuffs to spolit my inner house environment.

FYI, my pair of WORKING shoes(dirty, stink ,smelly with hk foots)get stolen yesterday. MIL's flat foot sepcial-designed shoes also "disappered" like mine, yesterday.

:help:

Plastic shoe rack (4-tier) now shifted inside house liao.

If I know they would get stolen, I would have put them inside liao.

Edited by bepgof

My running shoes got stolen. Now I only put slippers outside the house.

PS: Master Chang saw the previous owner's tall shoe rack and he told me it's a NO-NO.

"Superstitious" school of fenfshui emphasizes "意头"“&‘"形"”. Shoes are for foot, now put above head = monkeys lah, crows lah, lizards lah, 小人 lah having wild party on you top. Shoes = dirty, is a kind of "sha" = no good to human. Now want to put the "no good" on top? Sure "SWAY", all the way.

Any more to add?

hmm yes i think that is the reasoning behind it. U

but i told my parents, house too small, don't stack shoes up to the top, no place to put. haha...

yes, on the missing slippers. they steal everything, my $2 slipper wear till no friction already also they steal. :(

Hey, in my dad's old flat in bedok during the 1980s, both my mum & my own shoes (which were just newly repaired by an old cobbler at blk 50+) were stolen when we placed it outside the main door!!

The best part was we didn't realise that anything was missing until we wanted to wear those shoes then realised that... they were gone! :furious:

We have a plastic shoe rack outside our own flat now but we stuff it with all those lousy, damaged, heavy weight stiny shoes & dirty gardening materials.

And throw out 3 pairs of damaged, cheapo slippers at main door for "show". If they want, can take lor becox all 3 pairs got sewing on it & "sewn" with wire mesh ... hehehe :D

FYI, my pair of WORKING shoes(dirty, stink ,smelly with hk foots)get stolen yesterday. MIL's flat foot sepcial-designed shoes also "disappered" like mine, yesterday.

:help:

Plastic shoe rack (4-tier) now shifted inside house liao.

If I know they would get stolen, I would have put them inside liao.

do you have those extra concave spaces under the windows? Not sure if u know what I'm referring to but u could get carpenters to create cabinets beneath them & use them for storage purposes instead of having shoe racks all over the house.

To be honest, I find shoe racks unsightly if u have too many of them in the house.

We feel the pinch when people steal our stuff but those thieves will feel the "pinch" later on becox what comes around goes around.

hmm yes i think that is the reasoning behind it. U

but i told my parents, house too small, don't stack shoes up to the top, no place to put. haha...

yes, on the missing slippers. they steal everything, my $2 slipper wear till no friction already also they steal. :(

something to note.

i also heard about this no shoes above head level thingy recently. actually i heard its not supposed to exceed chest lvl. then again. our chest lvl and kids chest lvl different lei. so... watever.

I was told that having shoes above chest level will cause problems with the respiratory system. My parent's place have a full height shoe cabinet which is almost full, so alot of shoes were actually above the chest level.

My dad was diagnose with lung cancer a few years ago. Had surgery, relapse in a year, surgery again, relapse again in 9 mths, now still undergoing chemo.

Layman theory, with shoes above chest lvl, whenever you open the shoe cabinet, the foul odour from the shoes will rush out from the cabinet straight into your face. probably give me breathing problems just from inhalation. probably why they say it causes respiratory problems.

do you have those extra concave spaces under the windows? Not sure if u know what I'm referring to but u could get carpenters to create cabinets beneath them & use them for storage purposes instead of having shoe racks all over the house.

To be honest, I find shoe racks unsightly if u have too many of them in the house.

We feel the pinch when people steal our stuff but those thieves will feel the "pinch" later on becox what comes around goes around.

uh nope, i not intending to get a built in stuff. Everything in my house is movable except for kitchen cabinets. Built in stuff restricts freedom...no good...

yeap shoe racks are unsightly, but i still need to keep my even more unsightly shoes... :(

as for "what goes around comes around"...i am generally not a believer in this. Not that i am going all out to do bad things, but i don't believe that "heaven" is so free to monitor each and everyone and to "issue punishment" out. :P Imagine a population of billions! how to monitor....