Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
potatoes

My 1St Em @Serangoon N

Cost of rewiring the house depends on the number of power points and light points you ask for.

My mansionette's rewiring cost me about $3k+.

I think the price usually goes much higher once you have downlights, as you typically have more downlights than the traditional ceiling light.

Usually... if your WC is a bottom discharge (S-trap), it should not be shifted. You can shift a few cm la.. but not to the other side of the room coz u need a big pipe to let your good stuff flow away effectively. But if your WC is a side discharge (P-trap) then you can probably have it anywhere. Ideally... it should be as close to the main waste pipe as possible. I did a new WC in level 1 and they linked a pipe from my new WC to the waste pipe.

For kitchen.. u cannot change any of the pipes. Everyone's discharge flows through the same pipe leh.. you can't change the ceiling inlets or floor outlets.

My kitchen virtually had a happening tree of pipes spreading here and there. Bopian just do boxups to hide them. :P

3k for rewiring excluding lightings is quite standard. My ID told me he is only charging me1.5k for rewiring the 1st level and changing casing for 2nd level, inclusive of new DB, sockets and switches. Any additional points will be chargeable on top of the 1.5k. Got to add extra for oven, washing machine, dish washer and fridge points.

I thought this is a good deal.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

DAY 12

Tiling for bathrooms already started.... Will post up the pics this evening.

Erection of wall for toilet at level completed. :)

Edited by potatoes

3k for rewiring excluding lightings is quite standard. My ID told me he is only charging me1.5k for rewiring the 1st level and changing casing for 2nd level, inclusive of new DB, sockets and switches. Any additional points will be chargeable on top of the 1.5k. Got to add extra for oven, washing machine, dish washer and fridge points.

I thought this is a good deal.

hmmm, the $3k+ i mentioned includes the installation/wiring of all the lights, hood, aircon, bathroom fan, DB etc. I guess whether its expensive or not, depends on the per item cost. Some people have a socket at every corner of every room while some settle with 1 or 2 sockets only. :P

Don't forget to wire your internet LAN points if any. :)

hmmm, the $3k+ i mentioned includes the installation/wiring of all the lights, hood, aircon, bathroom fan, DB etc. I guess whether its expensive or not, depends on the per item cost. Some people have a socket at every corner of every room while some settle with 1 or 2 sockets only. :P

Yea, thx for your advice. I m using singel Mio wireless broadband. Is it that I just need to make sure I have at least one Singtel telephone point? Since I m using wireless does that mean I don't need to install phone point upstairs? For telephone, I m also using wireless, so base will be at 1st level.

I m trying to cut cost on installing phone lines/points/ scv points. Mio doesn't need SCV points right?

Edited by potatoes

Yea, thx for your advice. I m using singel Mio wireless broadband. Is it that I just need to make sure I have at least one Singtel telephone point? Since I m using wireless does that mean I don't need to install phone point upstairs? For telephone, I m also using wireless, so base will be at 1st level.

I m trying to cut cost on installing phone lines/points/ scv points. Mio doesn't need SCV points right?

Yeah MIO nothing to do with SCV point.

Should work, but I'm not sure if the wireless signal is strong enough where you will be using the internet connection. If there are too many walls or beams in between, signal may be weak or unstable. For me, I found that the wireless router in living room with TV does not send a strong signal to the MBR. So I wired CAT6 cables from TV area to study room where the heavy usage is expected. Study room just beside MBR, so wireless not a problem there.

probably can get another stronger router?

i was looking through the routers when I got mine for my place, they had different strengths/specs

Hey Bro, I am also using MIO, yes, you just need a telephone point near to the MIO TV box and there is a Singtel Modem which you'll need to connect to the MIO TV box. So for me, phone, TV Box and Modem are close to each other.

So far, I encounter 1 problem with wireless connection for internet when I'm upstairs in the bedroom, the signal become very weak.... I've check around and found out that an additional router will not help in the signal, but a wired adaptor does, dunno how true.... still trying to find out more before getting a router or wired adaptor... :dunno::(

DAY 13 (30 July)

Updates

MBR Bathroom... only the wal tiles are up

Picturesiphone056.jpg

Common Bathroom

Picturesiphone062.jpg

Picturesiphone063_5.jpg

Edited by potatoes

More updates:

Staircase (Plastering completed)

PICT0068.jpg

PICT0058.jpg

New wall for 1st level Toilet

PICT0070.jpg

Kitchen entrance

PICT0067.jpg

I just started my renovation and by reading your tblog gives me alot of information!

Thanks for all the updates!

Edited by melmel

My ID have to ask the workers to redo the decorative tile for my MBR toilet..... Wrong colour! It is suppose to be brownish not black.

I like the colour combination for the common toilet... Bright and youthful mood.... Ideal for the kids!

DAY 13 (30 July)

Updates

MBR Bathroom... only the wal tiles are up

Picturesiphone056.jpg

Common Bathroom

Picturesiphone062.jpg

Picturesiphone063_5.jpg

Edited by potatoes

The workmanship looks good for the starircase....:)

Next week, floor floor lamination will start.

More updates:

Staircase (Plastering completed)

PICT0068.jpg

PICT0058.jpg

New wall for 1st level Toilet

PICT0070.jpg

Kitchen entrance

PICT0067.jpg

Renovation Updates.... <BR>Balcony before: Picturesiphone175.jpg Balcony after hacking and plastering <BR>Picture007.jpg <BR>Balcony after laying floor tiles were done<BR>IMG_0675.jpg<BR> 1st level toilet before Picturesiphone171.jpg 1st level toilet after building the wall PICT0070.jpg

Edited by potatoes

Hey Bro, I am also using MIO, yes, you just need a telephone point near to the MIO TV box and there is a Singtel Modem which you'll need to connect to the MIO TV box. So for me, phone, TV Box and Modem are close to each other.

So far, I encounter 1 problem with wireless connection for internet when I'm upstairs in the bedroom, the signal become very weak.... I've check around and found out that an additional router will not help in the signal, but a wired adaptor does, dunno how true.... still trying to find out more before getting a router or wired adaptor... :dunno::(

Wired will be much more reliable. I run a single wired connection between lvl 1 and 2, and have 2 wireless routers - 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs. 2nd router upstairs will just act as a switch and now signal is still relatively good throughout the house.