Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
potatoes

My 1St Em @Serangoon N

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I am surprised that the original owner managed to get away with building a platform over the stairwell (in effect increasing GFA) and that HDB allowed it during the presale inspection.

Your contractor's people worked hard - last night they were clearing debris till 10pm at the carpark.

I am surprised that the original owner managed to get away with building a platform over the stairwell (in effect increasing GFA) and that HDB allowed it during the presale inspection.

Your contractor's people worked hard - last night they were clearing debris till 10pm at the carpark.

ya i saw the platform..wonder what is that platform for???

HDB actually didn't get the owners to dismantle the platform back to original. I ended up having to spend $$$ to dismantle it lor....

I didn't know these people worked till 10pm..... Hopefully no complains from the neighbours.... I saw about 6 Bangladesh workers doing the work at 6pm yesterday.

ya i saw the platform..wonder what is that platform for???

Joyous, the previous owner built it to put a book shelf and study table.... Perhaps a study corner. I find it awkward and made the passageway look dark. I was amazed to find the structure looked like that after the hacking.

Platform before

Picturesiphone182.jpg

After Platform dismantled....

Picturesiphone019.jpg

Edited by potatoes

Bro I remember you telling me bout the lvl 2 platform when we met up last month, just out of curiousity, can I know what the previous owners place there ?? seems that there is not much support for this platform to withstand heavy stuffs....

DAY 2

More pictures......

Packets of materials for tiling

IMG_0585.jpg

Wall hacked off for bar counter

IMG_0584.jpg

The living hall now look spacious

IMG_0586.jpg

Edited by potatoes

The Kitchen floor will be levelled up and flush with living/dining.

IMG_0589.jpg

The plan view of the balcony ... pic taken from MBR.

Picturesiphone016.jpg

A small store with tic tac door will be built in this part of the living room (left side)

IMG_0587.jpg

Bro I remember you telling me bout the lvl 2 platform when we met up last month, just out of curiousity, can I know what the previous owners place there ?? seems that there is not much support for this platform to withstand heavy stuffs....

Not sure if it can withstand heavy stuff. I m surprise HDB approves it. You can see from the before pic that they place a book shelf and also a study table. I think someone in this forum also wanted to build this platform.

Edited by potatoes

Not sure if it can withstand heavy stuff. I m surprise HDB approves it. You can see from the before pic that they place a book shelf and also a study table. I think someone in this forum also wanted to build this platform.

I wanted one of those as well, and permits should be easy to get. And yes, they cannot withstand heavy things.also it blocks up all the light.

I wanted one of those as well, and permits should be easy to get. And yes, they cannot withstand heavy things.also it blocks up all the light.

yah.. I agree with boyblunder that it blocks out the light..

If you want that area to be brightly-lit, might be an issue? :D

Edited by stardust205

DAY 3 & 4

Didn't take any pics.... Everything is hacked and removed including doors and grilles. Tiling will soon begin.....

Edited by potatoes

Just for discussion's sake, extracted from the following: http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10324p.nsf/w/HomeRenoNotAllow?OpenDocument

Examples of Renovation Work Not Allowed

Hacking and removal of structural members such as reinforced concrete wall, columns, beams, slabs, staircases within maisonette flats, etc.

Excessive overloading of the floor slab with a load greater than 150 kg for every metre square of floor area.

Plastering of ceilings.

Partitioning with combustible or toxic emission materials (e.g. plywood, plastics, asbestos etc.)

Raising of floor level exceeding the allowable thickness of 50mm (inclusive of floor tiles) using concrete.

Extending floor area by covering over void deck areas (e.g. covering over void deck areas within maisonette flats)

Constructing water tank in bathroom except ready-made fibreglass bathtub.

Repositioning or enlarging bin chute opening.

Painting external part of building (e.g. common corridor walls and ceilings)

The rules are clearly stated but seems like HDB sometimes dont stick to these rules......

I dont feel safe standing on the platform extended at the void.... it is worse if one puts heavy stuff.

Regarding platering of ceiling ..... don't understand why? You mean I can only plaster my wall and not the ceiling??? Oh......Oh.....

Just for discussion's sake, extracted from the following: http://www.hdb.gov.s...ow?OpenDocument

Examples of Renovation Work Not Allowed

Hacking and removal of structural members such as reinforced concrete wall, columns, beams, slabs, staircases within maisonette flats, etc.

Excessive overloading of the floor slab with a load greater than 150 kg for every metre square of floor area.

Plastering of ceilings.

Partitioning with combustible or toxic emission materials (e.g. plywood, plastics, asbestos etc.)

Raising of floor level exceeding the allowable thickness of 50mm (inclusive of floor tiles) using concrete.

Extending floor area by covering over void deck areas (e.g. covering over void deck areas within maisonette flats)

Constructing water tank in bathroom except ready-made fibreglass bathtub.

Repositioning or enlarging bin chute opening.

Painting external part of building (e.g. common corridor walls and ceilings)

I went ahead to plaster my ceilings. And I know alot of ppl did so too. :P

The rules are clearly stated but seems like HDB sometimes dont stick to these rules......

I dont feel safe standing on the platform extended at the void.... it is worse if one puts heavy stuff.

Regarding platering of ceiling ..... don't understand why? You mean I can only plaster my wall and not the ceiling??? Oh......Oh.....