Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
potatoes

My 1St Em @Serangoon N

Hope you have a fast approval for your WC relocation !!

Btw, care to share roughly how much it costs to relocate WC?

I'm considering of doing so in the future, to make space of a bath-tub in my toilet.. :rolleyes:

Thx for the information on the sewage pipes. I will check with my ID again. Is it very complicated to relocate the pipes? Need to drill another hole for the pipe? Anyway, I just tell him that my friends have done it!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hope you have a fast approval for your WC relocation !!

Btw, care to share roughly how much it costs to relocate WC?

I'm considering of doing so in the future, to make space of a bath-tub in my toilet.. :rolleyes:

I have decided not to relocate the WC in the common toilet on 2nd level. I feel the shower area will be a little too small. Instead, shifting the wash basin I think may be good enough. Hope my decision is right.

DAY 10

Today, we are into the 2nd week of renovation. Things are going on well so far except for a few hiccups which I managed to resolve with my ID.

Of course there were things like that cannot be resolve, like installing a 2nd aircon compressor, which HDB will not approve due to electrical loading.

Electrical rewiring is another issue. My original intention was to keep the existing electrical cables and only change the DB , switches and sockets. Hoewever, things aare easier said than done. The wiringwas messy after much hacking, makes no sense if we don't rewire. To make matters worse, these conduits which had rock sprayed paint by previous owner cannot be reused just by plastering over them. Sian.... Looks like cannot savage existing wiring. But, I will discuss with ID to keep 2nd floor wiring and rewire the 1st floor only.

Edited by potatoes

How much does it cost to rewire an EM?

Rewiring costs are basically based on per point. So, each point will be calculated on different pricing. lighting points, socket points, dimmer lights, double switch lights, fan points, etc etc. So, its all depending on what you plan to do.... for normal 4 room flat, about 4k. I guess EM can be easily 6-7k.

The wiring in your home is probably as old as your home itself. Do consider renewing it for safety's sake. My electrical bill was 3-4k. I didn't skimp on powerpoints but saved on numerous downlights which are charged per lighting point and can run up very quickly.

Rewiring costs are basically based on per point. So, each point will be calculated on different pricing. lighting points, socket points, dimmer lights, double switch lights, fan points, etc etc. So, its all depending on what you plan to do.... for normal 4 room flat, about 4k. I guess EM can be easily 6-7k.

Wah on high side leh.... Someone quoted me abt 3k.... Still considering.

The wiring in your home is probably as old as your home itself. Do consider renewing it for safety's sake. My electrical bill was 3-4k. I didn't skimp on powerpoints but saved on numerous downlights which are charged per lighting point and can run up very quickly.

Thx for your advice. As much as I would like to rewire the whole flat, as cost cutting measure, priority is given to the 1st floor..... I got to check with ID if this is possible. Initial agreement was to keep the existing cables. Now that after hacking, 1st wires dangling everywhere..... I m now forced into a no choice situation. Hope something could be done to save my 2nd level cables.

Wah on high side leh.... Someone quoted me abt 3k.... Still considering.

It's all depending on how many lighting points and power points etc. Can be very high. But if only 1st floor then 3k is abt right.

The older flats toilet design forces one to walk past the shower before u reach the throne, which is a PITA when u r like me, who like to do my business in dry land. My mom's flat was like that. Suggest that u move the throne out and the shower closer to the ventilating window.

The older flats toilet design forces one to walk past the shower before u reach the throne, which is a PITA when u r like me, who like to do my business in dry land. My mom's flat was like that. Suggest that u move the throne out and the shower closer to the ventilating window.

Thx for your advice. I like to do that but it also means moving the pipes which translates to more $$$. Already exceeded budget and any additional alteration will hurt my pocket more..... :(

Its not that much more trouble to re-route the pipes as you're tearing down the kitchen anyway. Try to negotiate the ID to do it within the renovation budget.

If you're coming to check on reno at your unit, come by and I can show you this evening. PM for the exact details.

Its not that much more trouble to re-route the pipes as you're tearing down the kitchen anyway. Try to negotiate the ID to do it within the renovation budget.

If you're coming to check on reno at your unit, come by and I can show you this evening. PM for the exact details.

Cleong, I have noted your advice. My ID said that HDB does not approve the shifting of the pipes leh.... Aiyah.... Now I think I will just live with it.

Cost of rewiring the house depends on the number of power points and light points you ask for.

My mansionette's rewiring cost me about $3k+.

I think the price usually goes much higher once you have downlights, as you typically have more downlights than the traditional ceiling light.

Usually... if your WC is a bottom discharge (S-trap), it should not be shifted. You can shift a few cm la.. but not to the other side of the room coz u need a big pipe to let your good stuff flow away effectively. But if your WC is a side discharge (P-trap) then you can probably have it anywhere. Ideally... it should be as close to the main waste pipe as possible. I did a new WC in level 1 and they linked a pipe from my new WC to the waste pipe.

For kitchen.. u cannot change any of the pipes. Everyone's discharge flows through the same pipe leh.. you can't change the ceiling inlets or floor outlets.

My kitchen virtually had a happening tree of pipes spreading here and there. Bopian just do boxups to hide them. :P