Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mummymantras

Home Is Where The Art Is...

Hehe 'pua kang tao' liao!

MM, i will send u the revised quotation on monday cos am busy with 2 other owners for these 2 days.

Hope ur throat gets well soon :sport-smiley-018:

No worries. :D

I know a lot of IDs get stressed over coming up with a quotation for their clients really quickly, but for a client like me (i.e. the sort of person who comes up with a 10-page design brief!), it's clear that my main criteria for selecting an ID is skill, creativity and common sense. The budget simply delineates the size of the playing field with which they have to play, so to speak. ;) And my timeline is fairly flexible.

IDs who have asked me intelligent questions are always the ones who interest me the most (and are the most likely to get the job!). And I doubt I'm the only one who thinks this way... :P

So far I've been most impressed with an ID who:

(1) asked me whether I was left-handed or right-handed when he set out to do space planning for my kitchen. A very good point! I hadn't realised how crucial this was!

(2) asked whether my husband also wore glasses and whether he needed to put them on a side table next to the bed in the master bedroom at night (just like I do). An important consideration when space planning for a bedroom for a married couple!

(3) asked for pictures of my current bookshelf and those posters which I intend to hang in the living room, so that he could select an appropriate colour scheme that would not clash with these 2 vital components of my home. Very smart!

Anyway, I've been meeting quite a number of very interesting IDs over the last few days and I'm waiting to hear back from a lot of them too. Meanwhile, I'll be taking a short break... zz

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

(1) asked me whether I was left-handed or right-handed when he set out to do space planning for my kitchen. A very good point! I hadn't realised how crucial this was!

(2) asked whether my husband also wore glasses and whether he needed to put them on a side table next to the bed in the master bedroom at night (just like I do). An important consideration when space planning for a bedroom for a married couple!

Both me and my hubby wear specs, but there is not enough space to put a bedside table in the room! :(

Both me and my hubby wear specs, but there is not enough space to put a bedside table in the room! :(

That's why it's so refreshing to meet an ID smart enough to think of these things beforehand! :D

I have so many friends who've had to suffer at the hands of illogical IDs. Their home is pretty to look at but impractical to live in. My fave example of this is a friend who can't open her fridge door fully because her bar counter is in the way! Sigh...

Must be a fantastic ID. This guy must be very experience.

No worries. :D

I know a lot of IDs get stressed over coming up with a quotation for their clients really quickly, but for a client like me (i.e. the sort of person who comes up with a 10-page design brief!), it's clear that my main criteria for selecting an ID is skill, creativity and common sense. The budget simply delineates the size of the playing field with which they have to play, so to speak. ;) And my timeline is fairly flexible.

IDs who have asked me intelligent questions are always the ones who interest me the most (and are the most likely to get the job!). And I doubt I'm the only one who thinks this way... :P

(3) asked for pictures of my current bookshelf and those posters which I intend to hang in the living room, so that he could select an appropriate colour scheme that would not clash with these 2 vital components of my home. Very smart!

Anyway, I've been meeting quite a number of very interesting IDs over the last few days and I'm waiting to hear back from a lot of them too. Meanwhile, I'll be taking a short break... zz

Newyew, I think interior design cannot just be about quotations and what you think is ok for the potential client. Seriously, take it in your stride, the comprehensive reply that MM sent was a point by point walk-through of the elements that we did not feel comfortable with. You wanted an honest appraisal, you got it. Learn, please and live well.

And by the way, I thought the tiles from hafary was a nice gesture - none if the other IDs did that. Indeed you sound angry but guess what, so are we! Hey, let's use this forum for what it is: a celebration of homes and ideas. It is what it is.

There was an ID who asked me that as well. And I must say rottenramone and myself were impressed!!!

BUT... He is not the one we've gone with due to the ridiculously high quote. And his works look pretty but not sure if it will last.

Mummymantras... if you recall what I told you about a particular ID firm and their high quotes, just wondering if the ID you mentioned above is from the same ID firm???

There was an ID who asked me that as well. And I must say rottenramone and myself were impressed!!!

BUT... He is not the one we've gone with due to the ridiculously high quote. And his works look pretty but not sure if it will last.

Mummymantras... if you recall what I told you about a particular ID firm and their high quotes, just wondering if the ID you mentioned above is from the same ID firm???

Nope. They're too expensive for me too! :)

The ID I mentioned above is a nice guy who runs his own interior design company and provides highly personalised service. Of all the IDs we've spoken to, we spent the longest amount of time with him. I think that says it all... :D

Edited by mummymantras

Hi, i'm new to this and not quite sure how to start. Saw some pics and threads. Keys collecting next week. Wondering how long it takes to do an overhaul of a 4room unit. Anybody have any firm to recommend?

Thanks

Hi, i'm new to this and not quite sure how to start. Saw some pics and threads. Keys collecting next week. Wondering how long it takes to do an overhaul of a 4room unit. Anybody have any firm to recommend?

Thanks

Hi Sanwenchong,

Honestly, it really depends:

1. Is this a new or resale 4-room? (which can determine the cost of renovation vs. your budget)

2. What's your budget (which usually determines the extent of your renovation)

3. Of course the ultimate question for me is usually what sort of look I want for the house? If you already know or are crystal clear, maybe all you need is a contractor who takes orders well, or maybe you don't know and are open to suggestions, then perhaps an ID can help you.

In any case, good luck on your renovation journey. What ever you decide, I'm sure it will be home :)