Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mummymantras

Home Is Where The Art Is...

Not very common here but I have seen a reno similar to this concept but it was to hide the service yard from the normal eyes. Usually the service yard is at the corner or edge of the kitchen. In this instance, there was a small wondow also. So the window was sealed up and a door was created. Everything was flushed with the same design concept as the kitchen. It was quite awhile I saw in a mag. I will try to find it and post here if I can.

But ur idea is workable for sure base on ur floor plan.

Good morning, Renotalkers!

In my reply to hafiizh (above), I mentioned wanting to install a jib door between my master bedroom and service yard. For the benefit of anyone who doesn't know what on earth a jib door is (I grew up in the UK, so I've seen jib doors my whole life. They usually lead to the service areas in large houses - my parents' house in Highgate, north London, had one connecting the dining room to the kitchen. But they aren't so common in Asia.), here's the Cliffs Notes version from The Peak of Chic (one of my fave blogs): http://thepeakofchic.blogspot.com/2007/12/mysterious-jib-door.html

And some images of jib doors:

robertpolidori101.jpg

If you look carefully, you can just see the outline of the door cut into the wall, partially covered by the picture. The only thing that gives away the presence of the door (other than the faint outline) is the keyhole just below the dado rail.

Picture%2B34.png

A jib door cut into a wall covered by trompe d'oeil bookcase wallpaper.

A jib door is bascially a hidden door used to access service areas of a home. It's hidden because there's no reason to attract attention to the presence of a door there. It usually doesn't lead to anywhere important (to guests and visitors anyway) and, in the past, it was usually used by servants only, so it was not deemed necessary to make them stand out or be nice to look at. Now, it's merely a practical thing to have and can improve the design of a room / wall by creating a seamless appearance.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Seems like iPhone doesnt allow me to quote a few replies. Hmm....

Anyway, thanks. The design is not for everyone. Not many will do a Mickey mouse design anyway. Ha. I am not willing to spend that much. Otherwise, I would have done it with another design. A true castle theme is too exp. My wallet needs to be fatter. :). But the idea is I adore curves. I could do away with the color scheme and Mickey mouse stuffs in the future and I think the design is still remarkable in my opinion, especially for a 108 sq m home. :)

Thanks, Mickey M!

I must say that when I first read your blog, my jaw quite literally dropped. Your home is amazing! I don't think there's any place quite like it anywhere in the world, let alone Singapore. You're truly original! :)

Keke. :)

I think he is busy... busy with my mini Reno that is starting next wk. Ha. Don't tell me u gave him a $20k budget. Haha.

haha....yup MickeyM aka MM....will be waiting for his reply. Just hope that he is no freaked out by my budget haha. :deal:

Not very common here but I have seen a reno similar to this concept but it was to hide the service yard from the normal eyes. Usually the service yard is at the corner or edge of the kitchen. In this instance, there was a small wondow also. So the window was sealed up and a door was created. Everything was flushed with the same design concept as the kitchen. It was quite awhile I saw in a mag. I will try to find it and post here if I can.

You got it exactly! I want a jib door to hide the entrance to my service yard so that I don't get nosy visitors poking around in there or going there by accident when they are simply trying to find the toilet.

On the kitchen-side entrance to the service yard, I've been thinking that instead of a traditional jib door (which looks like part of the wall), I'll have an entrance that looks like part of the kitchen cabinets (I think an earlier post of mine showed a pic of a house that had just that feature).

I think he is busy... busy with my mini Reno that is starting next wk. Ha. Don't tell me u gave him a $20k budget. Haha.

Aha! Now we know why he's taking so long to reply to emails from me and iPineapple... ;)

Not very common here but I have seen a reno similar to this concept but it was to hide the service yard from the normal eyes.

I think jib doors are more commonly used to 'hide' bomb shelters over in Singapore? I've seen a few.

I think jib doors are more commonly used to 'hide' bomb shelters over in Singapore? I've seen a few.

Really? Never seen that. Seen lots of swing doors, sliding doors and folding doors covering bomb shelter entrances, but never a jib door.

In my reply to hafiizh (above), I mentioned wanting to install a jib door between my master bedroom and service yard. For the benefit of anyone who doesn't know what on earth a jib door is (I grew up in the UK, so I've seen jib doors my whole life. They usually lead to the service areas in large houses - my parents' house in Highgate, north London, had one connecting the dining room to the kitchen. But they aren't so common in Asia.), here's the Cliffs Notes version from The Peak of Chic (one of my fave blogs): http://thepeakofchic.blogspot.com/2007/12/mysterious-jib-door.html

And some images of jib doors:

robertpolidori101.jpg

If you look carefully, you can just see the outline of the door cut into the wall, partially covered by the picture. The only thing that gives away the presence of the door (other than the faint outline) is the keyhole just below the dado rail.

Picture%2B34.png

A jib door cut into a wall covered by trompe d'oeil bookcase wallpaper.

A jib door is bascially a hidden door used to access service areas of a home. It's hidden because there's no reason to attract attention to the presence of a door there. It usually doesn't lead to anywhere important (to guests and visitors anyway) and, in the past, it was usually used by servants only, so it was not deemed necessary to make them stand out or be nice to look at. Now, it's merely a practical thing to have and can improve the design of a room / wall by creating a seamless appearance.

Jib doors...ah...not common in resident but most shopping center shops they do have it, mostly cover with wall sticker/wallpaper to hide the store room. Is also used for concealing the bomb shelter or book cabinet too. It depend on how good the designer design it to make it look unnoticeable. :)

haha..not that little but around 35-40K (actually mine not much wet work), but told him i'm flexbile coz if the design is really good and a must for me i'm willing to stretch the budget. See how it goes...if he is not keen its fine with me also. For me most importantly the ID must be hungry (not me desperate to go chasing) and click w u...then the rest can be further discussed. :rolleyes:

I was reading Home Concepts' August 2011 issue earlier, when I was struck speechless by this photo:

prodTilesLiving_Ginza_00.jpg

GF+A sells wood tiles of great beauty (and, yes, I've seen them at Hafary and Builders' Shop too) and it got me thinking whether this might be a better alternative to real wood. My current place has real wood (teak timber flooring in every room - except the kitchen and toilets, of course!) and though it is very beautiful, I have to make sure that I promptly clean up after the girls every time they spill a drink or drop some food (anything wet or gooey would stain the wood for ages). And, needless to say, there are little nicks and scratches everywhere (fortunately, they aren't deep but they can be seen quite easily).

prodTilesKitchen_LeEssenze_00.jpg

Wood tiles are almost as pretty to look at as real wood, come in a wide variety of colours and styles to match almost any theme, and are as easy to clean as ordinary ceramic tiles. But, of course, it won't feel like real wood and it will almost certainly be cold to the touch.

So, what do you guys think? Real wood or wood tiles? :D

Was having dinner at a coffeeshop along Old Airport Road near our soon-to-be home (it's nice to observe it at various times of the day with slightly wistful enthusiasm), when I started to wonder why on earth Cassia Crescent is called Cassia Crescent. And why on earth there's a Pine Lane nearby too.

I mean I understand why there's a Dakota Crescent across the road (all those Dakota planes landing at the old Kallang Airport deserved some kind of memorial, I guess). But why "Cassia" (which, as I understand it, is Chinese cinnamon) and "Pine"?

If anyone knows the answer please tell me. I'm dying to find out... Thanks! :D

Sigh... My discussions with prospective IDs were supposed to start tomorrow, but all meetings will have to be postponed till next week at least... My younger daughter, L, has just gotten chicken pox. And, naturally, there's a very good chance that her older sister, S, will get it... very, very soon.

Sigh... the glamourous and exciting life of a stay-at-home mother... :rolleyes:

Sigh... My discussions with prospective IDs were supposed to start tomorrow, but all meetings will have to be postponed till next week at least... My younger daughter, L, has just gotten chicken pox. And, naturally, there's a very good chance that her older sister, S, will get it... very, very soon.

Sigh... the glamourous and exciting life of a stay-at-home mother... :rolleyes:

Haha.. this reminded me that my mum eagerly wants my sis & I to grow chicken pox while we are still a kid. Plan for me succeeded when my uncle was contacted with the poxs. Nothing happened to my sis despite our close encounter with my suffering uncle.

Haha.. this reminded me that my mum eagerly wants my sis & I to grow chicken pox while we are still a kid. Plan for me succeeded when my uncle was contacted with the poxs. Nothing happened to my sis despite our close encounter with my suffering uncle.

Poor thing... Your uncle, I mean... ;)