Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mummymantras

Home Is Where The Art Is...

Well, with 2 kids to look after (and a hubby and a sis-in-law staying with us too), maintenance is a key issue. I don't want to get something that looks great but is a real pain to keep clean. :rolleyes:

Wow! This is pretty nice. :good:

Yeah. I think wood tiles would be a good compromise. They are quite pleasing to look at. And will go better with all the books we have in the apartment.

Sure. Nobody will be fooled into thinking they are real timber strips, but I guess you can't have it all... ;)

Will just have to cut down on other stuff then. We may actually opt to have less built-in furniture (we can just buy shelves and other such furnishings ourselves) and concentrate our reno budget where it counts (i.e. stuff that you really can't change much once you move in) - e.g. the floors, walls, ceiling, doors, kitchen, and toilets.

If u able to compromise with some of the cons of the wood tiles which stated in my T-blog, then wood tiles are the one for u. To save some cost, u may consider vinyl wood flooring for your bedrooms(overlay it, save cost from hacking). For those more expensive wood tiles that Newynew posted are those with texture feeling, for those cheaper ranges are those smooth feeling just like some laminate flooring. :yamseng:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Was reading another t-blog (the Eye Candy one set up by adidaem), when I came across this pic:

Ok, found another reno that I really like when I 1st saw the pics.

This Yishun EM belongs to Prettibride.

232.jpg

And I realised that no matter what happens, I do not want a transparent dining table!

I mean, seriously, what if your foot itches while you are having dinner with guests? Do you attempt to ignore it, knowing that everyone can see right though the table and will know if you are scratching your foot vigourously? Or do you try to scratch it as quietly and unobtrusively as you can, hoping that your dinner plates are large enough to ensure that your guests can't see your busy feet?

Yikes! It'll lead to so many fraught social dilemmas! :P

If u able to compromise with some of the cons of the wood tiles which stated in my T-blog, then wood tiles are the one for u.

For those more expensive wood tiles that Newynew posted are those with texture feeling, for those cheaper ranges are those smooth feeling just like some laminate flooring. :yamseng:

Yup. In fact your t-blog inspired me Jaskel! :D

But, yeah, I think we'll probably end up going for slightly better quality wood tiles in the end. Not because we enjoy spending money (does anyone? :P ) but because floors (together with toilet fittings and kitchen cabinets) are one of the things that are the hardest to change in a home once you've move in. It's best to get it right the first time. :D

And I realised that no matter what happens, I do not want a transparent dining table!

I mean, seriously, what if your foot itches while you are having dinner with guests? Do you attempt to ignore it, knowing that everyone can see right though the table and will know if you are scratching your foot vigourously? Or do you try to scratch it as quietly and unobtrusively as you can, hoping that your dinner plates are large enough to ensure that your guests can't see your busy feet?

Yikes! It'll lead to so many fraught social dilemmas! :P

LOL. Super like your comment. :)

Good afternoon, Renotalkers!

My kids are germ-free (finally!) and mummy is back at work while her sweetie pies are at playschool (having fun and busy making up for a week of boredom at home). :dancingqueen:

Anyway, here's some pics to drool over (I bought ELLE Decoration UK and ELLE Decoration FR yesterday and got some great ideas from each).

I just love this beautiful open plan kitchen. The central island has such a generous amount of space and the bookshelf next to the dining table is both sensible and eye-catching (with units of irregular heights that peak one's interest).

Diningroom2.jpg

I also love the colour scheme of this dining room. Dark wood flooring, white walls, a carafe of milk on the table, and (yet another) bookshelf. ;) Perfect!

Diningroom3.jpg

Hi All,

Just an update on the IDs / contractors whom I'm (still) talking to:

(1) Loyd Pek of D Home (a Renotalk fave): Had a facinating meeting with him. He really does have some amazing ideas! Still waiting for his final design proposal and quotation.

(2) The Carpenter's: Still waiting for their final design proposal and quotation.

(3) The Design Practice: Will be meeting them soon to discuss our design needs.

(4) Brick & Tungsten: Just happened to pass by their office one day and fell in love with it! :D Will be meeting them soon to discuss our design needs further.

(5) Free Space Intent: They seem enthusiastic. Still waiting for their final design proposal and quotation.

(6) Interdesign: Will be meeting them soon to discuss our design needs.

(7) Bara Interior: Will be meeting them soon to discuss our design needs.

(8) k* Interior: Had a moderately interesting meeting with them. Will be meeting them soon to see their final design proposal and quotation.

(9) Henry of ID Note (also a Renotalk fave): Nice 'uncle' type. :D Still waiting for his quotation.

(10) Alan Furniture & Renovation (another Renotalk fave): Nice but slightly forgetful 'uncle' type. :D Still waiting for his quotation.

The search continues... :sport-smiley-018:

I've been going through reading the very interesting and colourful renovations done by renotalk forumers - which are mostly fantastic and have presented us with a wealth of ideas.

However I have also observed some strange words being perpetuated over and over again. And I am not talking about grammar and all that - I am only interested in the content.

For the record, and to the best of my knowledge, the words "Masterbed room" DO NOT exist and should not. :rolleyes:

It should in fact be "Master Bedroom", whichever way you want it.

I've been going through reading the very interesting and colourful renovations done by renotalk forumers - which are mostly fantastic and have presented us with a wealth of ideas.

However I have also observed some strange words being perpetuated over and over again. And I am not talking about grammar and all that - I am only interested in the content.

For the record, and to the best of my knowledge, the words "Masterbed room" DO NOT exist and should not. :rolleyes:

It should in fact be "Master Bedroom", whichever way you want it.

Since mummymantras is a freelance writer/author, just wondering if you are an English teacher?

My besties, one of whom is an english teacher, the other, an editor, always point out errors in spelling or wrong words or words that don't exist. :)

Hi All,

(1) Loyd Pek of D Home (a Renotalk fave): Had a facinating meeting with him. He really does have some amazing ideas! Still waiting for his final design proposal and quotation.

(2) The Carpenter's: Still waiting for their final design proposal and quotation.

(4) Brick & Tungsten: Just happened to pass by their office one day and fell in love with it! :D Will be meeting them soon to discuss our design needs further.

(5) Free Space Intent: They seem enthusiastic. Still waiting for their final design proposal and quotation.

(8) k* Interior: Had a moderately interesting meeting with them. Will be meeting them soon to see their final design proposal and quotation.

(9) Henry of ID Note (also a Renotalk fave): Nice 'uncle' type. :D Still waiting for his quotation.

(10) Alan Furniture & Renovation (another Renotalk fave): Nice but slightly forgetful 'uncle' type. :D Still waiting for his quotation.

I'm surprise to see my 'uncle' contractor in your list... The idea of him doing your hse doesn't seem to gel:) He is pretty conventional... So did he ask "So, what look you want, ah? Modern? Black and white? Retro? Zen? Resort?" after u have tried explaining the look/style u want for your new place? Kekekekeke............. Jaskel is also one of the hot fave! Maybe can get him to quote too?

Edited by friends78

Since mummymantras is a freelance writer/author, just wondering if you are an English teacher?

My besties, one of whom is an english teacher, the other, an editor, always point out errors in spelling or wrong words or words that don't exist. :)

That will be the day - me, an English teach. That is a very hard job... I am not one.

But seriously, spelling mistakes or grammatical errors on renotalk, I'm not bothered so much because all of us have varying comfort levels with the English language. ****, if our former colonial masters were French, we'll be in a different world today. But what I think is wrong is to not point out words or terms that really don't mean anything because we're all on this forum to learn from each other I think (ideas, costs, experiences etc.).

I'm surprise to see my 'uncle' contractor in your list... The idea of him doing your hse doesn't seem to gel:) He is pretty conventional... So did he ask "So, what look you want, ah? Modern? Black and white? Retro? Zen? Resort?" after u have tried explaining the look/style u want for your new place? Kekekekeke............. Jaskel is also one of the hot fave! Maybe can get him to quote too?

Admittedly, I only thought of trying Henry and Alan 'cos my budget is so tight. :P So, I was hoping that if I could tell either of them exactly what I want, maybe they might be able to manage to carry it out cheaply... Anyway, there's no harm asking! :rolleyes:

Neither of them has gotten back to me yet, after my initial phonecall and email to them. I think they are having difficulty going through my 10-page design brief. They probably keep on falling asleep after page 2... ;)

Maybe I'll try Jaskel... We'll see... :D

That will be the day - me, an English teach. That is a very hard job... I am not one.

But seriously, spelling mistakes or grammatical errors on renotalk, I'm not bothered so much because all of us have varying comfort levels with the English language. ****, if our former colonial masters were French, we'll be in a different world today. But what I think is wrong is to not point out words or terms that really don't mean anything because we're all on this forum to learn from each other I think (ideas, costs, experiences etc.).

I also find it entertaining how Singaporeans just love to create acronyms for everything! Which can leave people who aren't in the know, more than just a bit bewildered...

For example, when I first started reading Renotalk, I'd come across phrases like "FSM" and "MSB" and I seriously wondered what on earth these acronyms stood for and whether Renotalkers were up to a lot more than just home improvement! :notti:

Wow you have a long list of IDs.

I'm still searching for the "right" one...managed to meet only a handful so far, all said give them 2 weeks to come back with proposal n quote. Humm...i dun think they will get back....start to recognise their patterns. 8|

Maybe now ID buz too good or my requirements too challenging for them.....they can be selective. I have met some in your list also, talk only but MIA after first meeting.

Hi All,

Edited by IPineapple

Awww U left me out! :~

I wanna see ur comment of me too!

Haha... Thanks for meeting me today.

Shall do up more 3Ds for u when u pass me ur homework :D

Ahem... and, of course, newnyew! :yamseng:

Will try to take dimensions of my posters / artworks tomorrow. Mummy a bit busy... :D