Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mummymantras

Home Is Where The Art Is...

Wow! I must admit that Mickey M's chosen design was not ... ahem ... to my taste. But the amount of work and thought that Loyd put into meeting his client's needs and expectations was quite extraordinary.

Some of the work featured in his blog is also quite nice. However, there hasn't been any updates since August 2010. Does anyone know whether he's still in business?

He still is. Had met up with him last week, still waiting for his quote. Hope it's not sky rocket price. :deal:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

wow.. this blog is indeed worth to follow and to drool... :)

envy the whole amount of books you have.

too bad, my hub only interested in magazines (read: FHM and Torte)

Haa..

Glad you like it! I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the final outcome doesn't disappoint anyone... least of all me! :D

We have so many books in fact that, back when I was a teacher and my students would come to visit me during Chinese New Year, they used to stare at my walls (note the plural!) of books with shock and awe (there actually used to be a lot more books in my flat, but I had to throw away about half of them after my daughters were born to make room for the babies!). The inevitable question always followed: "Wah, teacher, you actually read all these books, ah?" To which I would always respond sarcastically: "Nope. It's just for decorative purposes." They never got the joke! Sigh... :rolleyes:

He still is. Had met up with him last week, still waiting for his quote. Hope it's not sky rocket price. :deal:

Lovely! Thanks!

I guess he's just been too busy this year to even update his blog... Wonder if that's a bad thing or a good thing... :P

Probably! :rolleyes:

But I've got young kids, so large glass panels on anything would be unwise. As a child, I once crashed headlong into a glass-fronted cabinet in my parents' living room. I was lucky to have escaped with nothing more than a partially severed finger. Fortunately my mum got me to the hospital on time and the doctors managed to successfully reattach it. So, nope. No glass anywhere, if it can be helped. :P

But for places where we really have to have glass, we'll either get safety glass or (better yet) acrylic. But we're hoping to keep the presence of anything breakable to a minimum. :D

Sounds scary! Im going to have lotsa glass doors (sliding & swing) and glass cabinets in my house... Is it really that dangerous for kids? My ID mentioned that tempered glass is safer as it doesn't leave sharp edges when broken.. I wonder how true is it..

Btw like everyone else, Im also looking forward to your final outcome! Really nice concept :good:

When I was younger, I only buy and read bookworm short stories and comics.. lots of comics..lol

Sounds scary! Im going to have lotsa glass doors (sliding & swing) and glass cabinets in my house... Is it really that dangerous for kids? My ID mentioned that tempered glass is safer as it doesn't leave sharp edges when broken.. I wonder how true is it..

Well, modern tempered glass is probably much safer than the glass that was used for my parents' cabinet back in the seventies. :D

But nevertheless, tempered glass is still glass and it breaks far more easily than wood, metal or acrylic. With 2 naughty (and rather strong) toddlers and 1 rather large (and slightly clumsy) husband to keep an eye on, I really don't want to take chances. If they go crashing through a tempered glass door one day, it'll still leave them with some nasty cuts and scrapes and some fragments of glass embedded in the top layer of their skin. Not a pretty sight... :(

Well, modern tempered glass is probably much safer than the glass that was used for my parents' cabinet back in the seventies. :D

But nevertheless, tempered glass is still glass and it breaks far more easily than wood, metal or acrylic. With 2 naughty (and rather strong) toddlers and 1 rather large (and slightly clumsy) husband to keep an eye on, I really don't want to take chances. If they go crashing through a tempered glass door one day, it'll still leave them with some nasty cuts and scrapes and some fragments of glass embedded in the top layer of their skin. Not a pretty sight... :(

no to mention a broken nose! my BIL has a crooked nose now after he broke it New Year's Eve walking into the glass sliding door at my mum's place. He claims it wasn't the champers... :)

no to mention a broken nose! my BIL has a crooked nose now after he broke it New Year's Eve walking into the glass sliding door at my mum's place. He claims it wasn't the champers... :)

Ha! Ha! Ha! A likely story... ;)

go and read at Kumikotamago blog and u will know the danger of glass, the glass just crash onto her while she washing the bathroom floor luckily her place turn out really nice and cosy but still not worth the incident

Ha! Ha! Ha! A likely story... ;)

go and read at Kumikotamago blog and u will know the danger of glass, the glass just crash onto her while she washing the bathroom floor luckily her place turn out really nice and cosy but still not worth the incident

Absolutely!

Yup. I read that entry in her blog before (http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=32559&view=findpost&p=594645) and I think that what happened to her was not only dreadful but a perfect illustration of why even adults have to be safe when handling any glass furniture or furnishings.

Even tempered glass (which her shower screen was supposedly made of) can cut you badly. Although it will shatter into much smaller pieces than regular glass will, when broken, thereby reducing the possibility of serious injury (or, in my case, severed fingers!), it isn't 100% foolproof or danger-free. :(

Btw like everyone else, Im also looking forward to your final outcome! Really nice concept :good:

When I was younger, I only buy and read bookworm short stories and comics.. lots of comics..lol

Actually, I've got quite a number of comics too... My hubby likes Tintin (he's got ALL the books). I prefer more serious stuff (I've got a signed copy of Art Spiegelman's Maus!). :D

Good morning, Renotalkers!

Was chatting with a few IDs yesterday and as most of them are rather visual people (my 3-page design brief had waaaay too many words for them methinks... and my design concept so unusual and beyond the norm that many of them failed to fully grasp it!), I've decided to start a collection of pics of other homes I like so that I can show potential IDs / contractors exactly what I talking about.

Anyway, I came across this renovated shophouse that I'm really impressed with...

26722539.JPG

The raw brick wall behind the kitchen counters and the kopitiam tables give it a 'uniquely Singaporean' feel. An important point I think. Too many homes I've seen so far are so bland that they could be anywhere really... Manchester, Zurich, Ploughkeepsie! Anywhere but Singapore! Sad...

26722527.JPG

I also like what the guy did with his bedroom. It manages to be modern and neat, but cosy (the use of wood helps a lot!) and have a subtly Asian feel to it.

26722523.JPG

Last but not least, I also like the guy's workspace. That's important for me, since I also work from home. And that brick wall (again!) paired with antique furniture is a nice touch.

a lot of singapore id dont have the international taste one ,so since they can't visual then is better to show them and let them copy then

Good morning, Renotalkers!

Was chatting with a few IDs yesterday and as most of them are rather visual people (my 3-page design brief had waaaay too many words for them methinks... and my design concept so unusual and beyond the norm that many of them failed to fully grasp it!), I've decided to start a collection of pics of other homes I like so that I can show potential IDs / contractors exactly what I talking about.

Anyway, I came across this renovated shophouse that I'm really impressed with...

26722539.JPG

The raw brick wall behind the kitchen counters and the kopitiam tables give it a 'uniquely Singaporean' feel. An important point I think. Too many homes I've seen so far are so bland that they could be anywhere really... Manchester, Zurich, Ploughkeepsie! Anywhere but Singapore! Sad...

26722527.JPG

I also like what the guy did with his bedroom. It manages to be modern and neat, but cosy (the use of wood helps a lot!) and have a subtly Asian feel to it.

26722523.JPG

Last but not least, I also like the guy's workspace. That's important for me, since I also work from home. And that brick wall (again!) paired with antique furniture is a nice touch.

This is why I'm moving to Old Airport Road... :D

http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/eat/10-best-hawker-food-stalls-singapore-236530

Home of some of the best food in Singapore! And whatever isn't at the Old Airport Road Food Centre is mostly either at Chinatown or along East Coast Road / East Coast Lagoon Food Village, which isn't too far away either. :dancingqueen:

More pics of homes I love... This is another conservation shophouse at 55, Blair Road (anyone starting to spot a pattern yet... ;) ), which was rejuvenated by Ong + Ong. Absolute perfection!

1250632265-blairrd-09.jpg

Beautiful bookshelves.

1250632257-blairrd-08.jpg

Gorgeous colour scheme. But I object to covering the books in white though! :bleah:

1250632288-blairrd-11.jpg

Again, excellent balance of clean lines and warmth. Like the antique chest on the floor. But I'd do without the huge Mao poster... It would be a bit alarming to have him looming over the bed every night as I sleep! ;)