Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mummymantras

Home Is Where The Art Is...

We plan for our living room to be more of a reading space for us + play area for our kids. The TV is incidental to our plans...

We can't retain anything from the current flat. When I say that it's in its "original condition", I'm not kidding! The current owner didn't even bother to install proper lights in the flat (she has cheap, naked lightbulbs hanging from the ceiling!), and she has the cheapest possible tiles on her floor (the kind that gets really sticky when you mop it!). There's no built-in furniture and no air-conditioners either.

On the plus side, this all makes it far easier to renovate the place... A lot less things to remove. :good:

Ok, then I think the living room/reading corner will be nice n cosy. :good:

But with everything gone... hmm... doesn't sound cheap huh?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I love the layout! I am a big advocate of hacking - it's so hard to find really adventurous house owners who have the desire and budget to match.

However, I think it would be more bang for buck to go through the contractor route rather than an id. If I read this right, I think you have a rough idea what you want and just need to consult to see how really feasible to bring your dreams to reality.

To me you should be looking at wide open spaces for the living, dining and store to become one big social gathering place. Your initial plan looks good in the sense that the bedrooms are squirreled away from the hubbub. Storage and displays would be key. Vignettes everywhere too :)

So exciting! Are you as excited as I am? Lol

@ Jaskel:

Hmmm... Gosh, I think you're right! Sigh... It seemed like such a good idea...

I guess I'm just not cut out to be an ID then... :P

I may have to discuss this with our future ID and come up with a double-bed platform or something like that, I guess. Hmmm...

I'm not too sure about the recess area under the windows... I know that there seems to be one, according to the floorplan, but I didn't see anything like that when I visited the place. So, I don't know... That's a bit of a mystery!

@ Jaskel:

Hmmm... Gosh, I think you're right! Sigh... It seemed like such a good idea...

I guess I'm just not cut out to be an ID then... :P

I may have to discuss this with our future ID and come up with a double-bed platform or something like that, I guess. Hmmm...

I'm not too sure about the recess area under the windows... I know that there seems to be one, according to the floorplan, but I didn't see anything like that when I visited the place. So, I don't know... That's a bit of a mystery!

Another solution is to hack the other side of the store room wall and make the kid's and Master wardrobe back to back. Then u can have what u planed for. Anyway to do a 'C' shape wardrobe is more expensive and the 'dead' space of the corners.

@ adidaem:

Yup. I'm pretty worried about whether we'll be able to keep to budget with all the changes that needs to be made. It's gonna be a big job! :unsure:

If you know of a reasonably-priced ID / contractor who has common sense and can speak English (I'm Eurasian - I can swear in Cantonese, but I can't speak Mandarin!), please tell me! :D

@ hafiizh:

Absolutely! That's why I loved this flat from the moment I saw it (I was less than impressed with what the current owner had done to it... but that's another story!). It's actually 2 spaces in 1: the 'public' side is made up of the large living / dining / cooking space; and the 'private' side is made up of the bedrooms and bathrooms - all neatly hidden. :D

Another solution is to hack the other side of the store room wall and make the kid's and Master wardrobe back to back. Then u can have what u planed for. Anyway to do a 'C' shape wardrobe is more expensive and the 'dead' space of the corners.

That's a good idea actually! I like that! Makes sense! :thumbs up:

Poor sis-in-law though... No way of expanding the closet in her room... The irony is that (of all of us), she has the most amount of clothing! :rolleyes:

That's a good idea actually! I like that! Makes sense! :thumbs up:

Poor sis-in-law though... No way of expanding the closet in her room... The irony is that (of all of us), she has the most amount of clothing! :rolleyes:

If tilting the headboard of the bed to the wall, she can have WIW. that will solve her closet issues. ;)

Nice photo of the joy division single. I am a big fan. Decor wise i Have the she's lost control vinyl hung on my wall.

Wow! I love "She's Lost Control"! Lucky you... :good:

We've got a poster featuring the cover art for "Unknown Pleasures" on our bedroom wall, hanging over our bed... We thought it was funny. Most people don't get it. Our parents were not amused. :P

Dare I guess that you are also a fan of The Ramones? :D

If tilting the headboard of the bed to the wall, she can have WIW. that will solve her closet issues. ;)

Hmmm... I'm not so great at visualising things (which is why I resorted to sketching my idea out on the floorplan using a pen and ruler!)... Could you explain that a bit more? Please... :help:

mummymantrassketchplan-CassiaCrescent.jpg

First, welcome to RT, mummymantras. Indeed, I must say that you have cool ideas and a creative knack to make your new house looks warm and cozy. Pictures of your current place speak thousand words.

Your 'Lifestyle' idea reminds me of my two friends. One whose place is a showcase of his arts (from entrance to kitchen, dining and toilets) while another refuses to have a TV in the living room (insists that guests are to mingle and not drifted with TV). I am just wondering, perhaps just kaypoh-ing to drop some ideas:

1. Passage way to bedrooms

I would rather leave the area without a door. You can still utilize the wall to hang some of your lovely artworks. Have a light shine on them.

2. Washer/Dryer area

Again, no door here. Should budget permits, house these items inside a cabinet. It looks 'clean' that way. You still can place something on top of the cabinet and also to hang some artworks above it, on the wall.

Basically, the whole idea is to showcase it as an art house that spans throughout the house except the bedrooms. The only consideration would be airconditioning.

I am sure you will have a beautiful home, mummymantras. Hehe, and pardon me to kaypoh big time. :)

Welcome to RT mummymantras! oops, am abit late huh? hee...

love ur current place's artworks, they r so quirky n interesting :D

wouldnt we all love a library inside our own home sweet home? i know i do!

but d a r n... my place just hasnt got that much space n walls anymore.. :~