Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Akitsuki

Serangoon North Renovation By Defong Interior Design

Hi NeoBy. We were quite particular of this, so we just listen and prepare all these as per instructed. We got the house for quite some time already, but because good date fall today, so we waited for quite long before we can start the reno.

me too but fsm said no need so no need lor

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Initially we thought all the walls are smooth wall, so don't need to plaster the walls. End up all bedrooms and kitchen ceiling have small rock surfaces. This cost us another $1k+ to plaster the whole house.

To note: I am not sure why plaster wall and plaster new door frame is separate quote. Shouldn't it be the same? Since plaster wall, why the price not inclusive for plaster new door frames?

Now showing different room angle perspective. Take a look at the number of built-in wardrobes we need to dismantle our own to save $180 dismantle/disposal fee for each wardrobe.

63-40.jpg

63-41.jpg

Too bad old houses don't have aircon ledge. I think there will be an ugly board pasting on the wall.

MBR toilet

63-42.jpg

Edited by ayazumi

wah....already got extra angpao on the first day.

among all my "Extras" that i incurred, i think the one that i felt money was well spent was the plastering. beware to double check on the plastering quality on the ceiling though, as any imperfections will be highly visible.

if you have new door frame, why do you need to plaster?

Future study room. This room has the most shelves.

65-43.jpg

65-44.jpg

The last bedroom shall be our art room. We will do oil painting in this room

65-45.jpg

65-46.jpg

Edited by ayazumi

Getzski: I asked the same question to my contractor. He said door frame sides need to plaster to smooth the level with the walls. Then I asked him since we are going to plaster the walls, why cannot smooth together? He said it's different worksmanship or something along the way. I don't know what he means

Your bedroom will be oil painting? what does that means? both of you will do your own oil painting for the whole room?

Real painting? why not acrylic? Got texture some more...heee

thedottyness: Yes, a lot of cornices. So contractor wants me pay addition for tearing the cornices.

Hoo8899: We plan to spend less than $30k to hack and lay tile floorings, walls, relocate MBR door to place it near bedroom 2 & 3, redo toilets, new doors and frames, carpentry for kitchen cabinet and MBR built in wardrobe. No false ceiling because our home ceiling don't know why so low. We can't even put a ceiling fan because my hubby can almost reach the ceiling when raised his hand. Windows remain, and electrical rewiring.

May: Sorry, I mean we both love to draw and paint oil painting canvas, not use oil painting for the room walls. Haha.

NeoBy: Arcylic paint dries faster than oil painting. Oil painting allows us to have more time to draw and walk away, and oil painting gives more textures than arcylic. Arcylic painting has its own good. It looks more real and precise.

thedottyness: Yes, a lot of cornices. So contractor wants me pay addition for tearing the cornices.

Hoo8899: We plan to spend less than $30k to hack and lay tile floorings, walls, relocate MBR door to place it near bedroom 2 & 3, redo toilets, new doors and frames, carpentry for kitchen cabinet and MBR built in wardrobe. No false ceiling because our home ceiling don't know why so low. We can't even put a ceiling fan because my hubby can almost reach the ceiling when raised his hand. Windows remain, and electrical rewiring.

May: Sorry, I mean we both love to draw and paint oil painting canvas, not use oil painting for the room walls. Haha.

NeoBy: Arcylic paint dries faster than oil painting. Oil painting allows us to have more time to draw and walk away, and oil painting gives more textures than arcylic. Arcylic painting has its own good. It looks more real and precise.

hahaha...i did arcylic painting in my sec 3/4 arts. quite fun but yes, need to be fast.

Getzski: I asked the same question to my contractor. He said door frame sides need to plaster to smooth the level with the walls. Then I asked him since we are going to plaster the walls, why cannot smooth together? He said it's different worksmanship or something along the way. I don't know what he means

i think i know what he meant. i assume your are getting new doors, probably a smooth veneer door. and i further assume your existing door frame is not in a good condiion, probably the old school metal/wooden frame that has seen it's good days. i would think he wants to give you a smooth transition from wall to door. how to plaster, i've no idea, cos my contractor says there is nothing he can do both my wood and metal frame.

if you are using laminate floor, maybe you can ask those guys to use the foor skirting on your door?

i had the sane low ceiling problem. initially, i did not intend to hack all the living/bedroom flooring, but on first day of hacking (on balcony area), the contractor found that there was 4" of underlay, and told me if i want to hack everything else. so it was hack 4", and put 2" back, so i will get a 5cm gain in height. even though 5cm wasn't much, i decided to do it. cos if i regret later, it will be an expensive lesson.

but......it's still too low to put any ceiling fans, so i'm using the turbine fans now. i have been happy with them so far.