Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Akitsuki

Serangoon North Renovation By Defong Interior Design

getzski: Yes yes. The ex owner specifically said that they purposely place the stove facing away from the sink due to their fengshui requirement. They also placed a big mirror in front of the common toilet for fengshui purposes too. If you realised, the living hall tiles were slanted one side, also because of fengshui requirement. Basically, this house is fengshui good, but might not do good for us. So, hack all and redo according to our "fengshui"

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

well.. there's nothing much for me to add... let my wife do the talking.. and i do all the work.. tired and beat after tearing down so many things.. gonna go take a nap and rest well for another cabinet tearing day tomorrow.. 2 days of hard labour to save myself $4-500 and to have a bit of exercise.. not too bad.. and i can see that my wife is enjoying herself too.. haha.. (enjoying the blog and replying)

NeoBy: The ex owner, with 3 adult children, staying in this house, they maintain the house very well. I think overall condition is move in condition, except the designs are outdated.

I am a low standard one, for me I probably just move it and maybe just change the W/C basin and relaminate the kitchen cabinet and painting. :thumbs up:

getzski: Yes yes. The ex owner specifically said that they purposely place the stove facing away from the sink due to their fengshui requirement. They also placed a big mirror in front of the common toilet for fengshui purposes too. If you realised, the living hall tiles were slanted one side, also because of fengshui requirement. Basically, this house is fengshui good, but might not do good for us. So, hack all and redo according to our "fengshui"

the fengshui is custom-made to you and your hubby's specification ma......did you ask your FSM to create you a blissful bed location to create many beautiful babies?

well.. there's nothing much for me to add... let my wife do the talking.. and i do all the work.. tired and beat after tearing down so many things.. gonna go take a nap and rest well for another cabinet tearing day tomorrow.. 2 days of hard labour to save myself $4-500 and to have a bit of exercise.. not too bad.. and i can see that my wife is enjoying herself too.. haha.. (enjoying the blog and replying)

come my house.....lend u my U-TAP

Hoo8899: I always believe, as long as one's happy with our houses, whether renovate or not, nothing matters. 开心就好!You won't find anything fanciful in my blog, just basic renovation, nothing else. We are cutting costs, save money, and use the money wisely on other things. We may not have money to do palace-kind of renovation, but we will use furnitures and other decorations to make-up for the imperfections. Hands-on work is something that we should enjoy during the process, and we did enjoy today. Show you the "fruits" we reap today.

getzski: We never engage FSM. No money for $888 ang bao. The date and time was chosen by my parents' friend, and this morning, while eating breakfast my mum's friend was at the coffee shop. My mum asked her what we should do for the ceremony, so this friend of my mum's gave us the instructions what to do. I'm not sure how to explain in english who or what these 2 persons do, but in hokkien, they are those people from "tiao dang" or "dang ki". They are the "temple's employees". They never charge us ang bao money too.

Edited by ayazumi

A day of hardwork. My hubby dismantled about 60-70% of the carpentry. We can't tear off the built-ins without a crowbar as the wardrobes stick to the walls, hence we stop for the day. My father will bring a crowbar tonight, so we can try if we can tear the wardrobes out. Hope will not damage the walls. My contractor said he will meet us this Sunday to see the damage. Sounds like hinting me something (again).

MBR

98-52.jpg

Future study room

98-53.jpg

Hubby managed to take down one side of the wall mounted shelf. (Don't mind about the bed, tv, and console. It's my idea, to ask to leave the bed. Now we are thinking how to throw these bulky items away. May need to call town council come and take away - if got enough time to inform them. Or else, get bangalah to do it)

98-54.jpg

Last bedroom. This wardrobe is so...so... difficult to tear. It is simply glued n nailed into the wall. Don't know what the past installers were thinking.

98-55.jpg

Edited by ayazumi

These are the bulky items we need to think how to dispose away. Our contractor quoted us dismantle/disposable of wardrobe is $180/pc, and $30/pc for dismantle/dispose the woods. We cannot use his debris bin too. No dismantle, yes dispose is $150. Looking at the price quoted, I would rather ask them to dismantle/dispose for me, than to ask for disposable, right? Anyways, we will use my father's lorry and bangala workers to throw these things away. Like that we saved $540 on dismantle 3 wardrobes, and $120 for dispose wooden doors. All these you can do it yourself, don't waste money to ask someone else to do.

If you are not sure where to throw, you can go Defu lane to throw the debris. Most importantly, if you can rent a lorry from your friends or relatives, then you can save some money on transport. My father told me it's about $200-300 to throw debris in Defu lane (not confirm yet because this weekend we will go to Defu lane to throw the debris, after complete dismantling).

To our surprise, we realised the wood doors are SOLID classic doors. No wonder so heavy.

99-56.jpg

99-57.jpg

Edited by ayazumi

These are the bulky items we need to think how to dispose away. Our contractor quoted us dismantle/disposable of wardrobe is $180/pc, and $30/pc for dismantle/dispose the woods. We cannot use his debris bin too. No dismantle, yes dispose is $150. Looking at the price quoted, I would rather ask them to dismantle/dispose for me, than to ask for disposable, right? Anyways, we will use my father's lorry and bangala workers to throw these things away. Like that we saved $540 on dismantle 3 wardrobes, and $120 for dispose wooden doors. All these you can do it yourself, don't waste money to ask someone else to do.

If you are not sure where to throw, you can go Defu lane to throw the debris. Most importantly, if you can rent a lorry from your friends or relatives, then you can save some money on transport. My father told me it's about $200-300 to throw debris in Defu lane (not confirm yet because this weekend we will go to Defu lane to throw the debris, after complete dismantling).

Don't mind me asking. Why is your contractor quoting you dismantling by per piece?

Edited by NeoBY

Don't mind me asking. Why is your contractor quoting you dismantling by per piece?

Oh, that was based on our calculation. Initially, he quoted us a lump sum, but we divided into the number of wardrobes we have, so estimate one wardrobe is $180. That was how we derived to $180 per wardrobe. Sorry for the confusion. When we asked how much to dispose the wardrobes, he told us $150 per wardrobe. To be fair, he did say that if the items are small, he can ask his workers to help us throw. But given to the situation now, the items are not small at all - All bulky items.

I like to do both oil n acrylic painting. I have tried water colour painting but not master at it yet. Will be so cool to have our old collection on the wall.. Must have nice spot lights for them!

I like your house 's move-in condition. If it was me, I think I will do minimum to it. Haha.. But of course, to have a brand new design to our liking within our budget is the best thing to do. ;)

Looking forward to your reno progress.