Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tristesse

Mansionette Owner

Hi Ctan, welcome to this long thread of EM owners....I m sure u can also contribute ideas. How is ur COV for ur HG EM? 40k is very minimal if u talk about a decent overhaul....

As Cleong mentioned in this thread, the big ticket is the staircase, which can cost 5k or more. To me, carpentry n flooring also form the bulk of reno cost.

Hope u hav found the right person to do ur reno. Cheers!

Hi potat0s,

thanks for your warm welcome.

Agreed that 40k is very minimal to do a 70% overhauling.

Fortunately, I'm in building material trade for a living thus have some interior fitout background, not forgetting some personal contacts to do the procure most material.

To make things possible within the budget, I'll doing doing most of the coordination work and designing by myself. (I'm engaging drafter to churn out 3D drawing, and designing most carpentry by myself).

Staircase I agreed, it'll cost 4-5k minimum for the tempered glass rail and stepping, and I guess staircase + toilets fitout will eat up the biggest part of my budget.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi All,

I was recently promoted to a proud owner of an EM located in HG.

Now am busying over the planning work for renovation.

Condition of the unit was satisfactory, considering that its a 26 years old unit!

The previous owner did some renovation 5-7 years back so most of the interior setup are still in good condition.

Most of the reno work are going to be on aesthetic purpose, mainly on flooring for whole house and some carpentry for kitchen, MBR, 2 toilets and tv console.

Budget is very tight for this reno, trying to squeeze all in within 40k.

Hi ctan

Nice to know you that you select HG and welcome. With reference on your 26 years old EM that now you are the new owner which I think most probably you are my opposite block neighbour.

Correct me if I'm wrong that the EA/EM units has the almost full circular and semi circular balcony respectively.

With your relevant industry background and contacts which I believe 40K to Reno could be suffice and probably cover the essential items.

Norm market practise that an ID usually mark up about 30 - 40% on top to the contractor pricing.

My recent Reno experience that hacking, wet works, staircase and carpentry works are the big ticket items.

Btw how was the valuaion and COV?

No SERS I guess...

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1231653/1/.html

No plans for more HDB executive maisonettes: Khaw

SINGAPORE: Minister for National Development Khaw Boon Wan said there is no need for the Housing and Development Board (HDB) to build executive maisonettes (EMs) again, as executive condominiums (ECs) already include double-storey units similar to EMs.

Mr Khaw made this point in a written parliamentary response to a question from Member of Parliament for Pasir Ris-Punggol Group Representation Constituency, Gan Thiam Poh.

HDB stopped building EMs in 1995, when the EC Housing Scheme was rolled out.

EMs range from 138 to 243 square metres in size while ECs range from 69 to 324 square metres.

Mr Khaw noted that ECs typically come with more ***** features than EMs.

He said the EC is better placed to meet the diverse needs of Singaporeans, removing the need to re-introduce EMs.

- CNA/xq

I'm so happy to say that we finally found and got our EM!!!!!!! So happy!! After almost a month of viewings...

Congrats! Where and what config is your new place?

No SERS I guess...

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1231653/1/.html

No plans for more HDB executive maisonettes: Khaw

SINGAPORE: Minister for National Development Khaw Boon Wan said there is no need for the Housing and Development Board (HDB) to build executive maisonettes (EMs) again, as executive condominiums (ECs) already include double-storey units similar to EMs.

Mr Khaw made this point in a written parliamentary response to a question from Member of Parliament for Pasir Ris-Punggol Group Representation Constituency, Gan Thiam Poh.

HDB stopped building EMs in 1995, when the EC Housing Scheme was rolled out.

EMs range from 138 to 243 square metres in size while ECs range from 69 to 324 square metres.

Mr Khaw noted that ECs typically come with more ***** features than EMs.

He said the EC is better placed to meet the diverse needs of Singaporeans, removing the need to re-introduce EMs.

- CNA/xq

Correct me if I am wrong, but the current crop of double storey seems even more premium as only the top floor unit gets a double floor configuration, whereas older generation EMs have the entire block in a double storey configuration?

Well there are the loft units in Dawson too. Anyway, whatever. Apple to oranges comparison. Usual divert attention sort of answer.

Already staying in one so doesn't really affect us. Plus I can imagine new EM layouts will be more cramped anyway cos of aircon ledges and nonsense corridor space.

Bishan gen 2 corner unit with small recess area :)

Very nice! Love corner units. Congrats again. :)

Bishan gen 2 corner unit with small recess area :)

Congrats for getting a unit in Bishan. U must have paid a premium for COV.....

If HDB is going to focus on building ECs.....to meet the divese needs of singaporeans n removing the need to re-introduce EM......

I wonder if HDB make an effort to study the diverse needs of Singaporeans.......the size of flats built r becoming smaller n interior n exterior space is also more cramp. My friends r complaining of congestion in the new housing estates like senkang. What exactly is the need of singaporeans as stated by National Development minister?

As of now, Demand for EM will always be more than supply..... By the law of economics, price will continue to rise. I m happy I already got mine :)

Edited by potatoes

The 243 sqm EM are the ones especially in Bishan and Pasar Ris point blocks where the top most floor units has has double story and has very large balcony or usually called the open terrance....