Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tristesse

Mansionette Owner

How much does it really cost to renov fir whole em except flooring on balcony n bedrooms....no matter how I squeeze my hubby frenz, the max max he can give us is only $50k... I just got to hear from a frenz that with the similar things as wat I do she can get only at 30k....I told my contractor abt n he tell me is mission impossible....my Hubb did ask ard that the minimum renov is ard 80k by id firm n this is considered the minimum amount required. Some more I did nit change my stairs lei, I ask to add on one pc of wood cost me $135, cos there is one level of stair no balance cos I scared my two kiddie will roll dwn.....:)

$50k sounds good. $30k for an EM? Is it a recent reno? Prices hv gone up quite a lot over past 5 years with inflation and high demand. Older quotes are simply not comparable. People hv been quoting $70k and above I think. But costs add up depending on design, walls hacked, false ceiling, lighting design, etc. So really need to check if its apple to apple comparison.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Thanks adidaem. Love your place :notti:

Haha thanks emlovers. Not quite sure how to respond to the 'lecherous' looking smiley. :unsure:

:D

Hi Exman,

It's in north east area. Not near any mrt station though...my hubby loves the serenity of that area...so we didn't even go for 2nd viewing, offer on the same day of viewing, got the OTP 2 days later (agent said need at least 1-2 days to convince seller cause the COV we offer is 80% of what the seller wanted).

We're now looking for a good and reliable ID as that unit is first owner condition and needs major overhaul. Hope we'll enjoy the renovation process :yamseng:

Hi EMlovers, nice to have u join the ranks of the exclusive EM owners.... since HDB announced they r not going to build anymore. I m also living in NE n we could be in the same neighbourhood. What is the age of ur EM? How much r u budgeting for ur reno?

Welcome AVbeng to join this never-ending thread.... Not sure if this is the longest thread in the forum.

$50k sounds good. $30k for an EM? Is it a recent reno? Prices hv gone up quite a lot over past 5 years with inflation and high demand. Older quotes are simply not comparable. People hv been quoting $70k and above I think. But costs add up depending on design, walls hacked, false ceiling, lighting design, etc. So really need to check if its apple to apple comparison.

Hi adidaem, I thought I hv the lowest quote Liao cos my Hubb frenz a lot of things did not charge me. Yes u r rite, my Hubb went ard asking his client who is in id firm says that em r the one that easily ard 70k n above due to the extensive renov they got to do. My frenz had got the quotes for her upcoming renov in Jan ba. I was quite shocked when she told me her renov only cost 30k all in whereas just my 3 toilet alone cos me $20k for hacking n reconstructing again.

Hi.. my reno for 3 toilets, 1 kitchen, hack few walls, plaster the house, new grilles, overlay level 1 came up to an initial 39k. i took various quotes from several coy and it ranges from those designer type to small players. i eventually settled for my previous ID coz i seem most comfortable with him.. it can get quite exasperating when the ID guy just keeps pushing ideas but not considering our lifestyle. I decided not to change the stairs coz the design of the stairs had a flaw and 4 steps had the railing cut into them. we were lucky that the stairs to level 2 n bedrooms all had v well maintained parquet (erm.. now we all know why la) but the reno has been snowballing.. coz we are changing the direction of the kitchen.. initially it faces the balcony when we was hands but now i change it to the other side so i wont have to face the balcony. to date.. excluding the electrical works, my reno has increased to 43k so far. electrical works will be around 1.5-2k.. then my toilet/kitchen fittings plus a bathtub is about $2.5k.. lighting has come up to 1.5k already (but we did buy most from JB).. so i'm hoping to stay around 50k

my neighbour told us she reno total about $60 and thats about 6 months ago. she kept most of the flooring.. another friend's parents who stays at bedok res paid about 90k.. thats coz they changed everything and had loads of built in cabinets and wardrobes.

reno v expensive!!!

Today my FSM is going to the place. i'm not supposed to tell the FSM about anything right? if they cannot spot any irregularities then i just ignore n take that the house is good? i so stressed! hahahahah

My Reno alone cost me 80k mark after some nego. Been getting quotes of range between 60 plus to high 90's. Just looking on the Reno process is scaring me out. There are a lot of factors that you have to consider.

My wife and I wanted to keep to the minimum to cut down cost. Keep lvl 2 flooring and staircase flooring. Keep windows and grills but hack the rest. At the end of the day, all were hack and replaced with new ones. Bear in mind, on top of Reno cost there are the scary ones you need to factor in

Electrical wiring,

Lights

Electrical appliances

Furniture

Furnishing

Aircon

Gas water heater and dryer

All in all, as hard as I tried, over blow my pocket by 25k. Sibeh pain

Ya EM Reno definitely cost a bomb... We also have very tight budget now ... Tao hin!!! Must ask my hubby go sell backside Liao

wah...reno so ex. nowadays....scary :jawdrop: ....my contractor fren told me tat a simple overhaul easily ard 60k..hope to keep to tat amt...anyone mgmt to reno ard tat amount pls pm me.

my 1st appt. on 12/12/12...nice date..hopefully can bring me some fortune to reduce the reno budget :D

wah...reno so ex. nowadays....scary :jawdrop: ....my contractor fren told me tat a simple overhaul easily ard 60k..hope to keep to tat amt...anyone mgmt to reno ard tat amount pls pm me.

my 1st appt. on 12/12/12...nice date..hopefully can bring me some fortune to reduce the reno budget :D

I think these ID or contractors are overcharging.... The moment they know it is EM or condo apartment, they immediately mark up their price.

Mine was a simple overhaul a year ago, I had no idea about Reno cost before I bought the EM. I remembered asking around for a humble 25k overhaul cos that was what I was left with after paying for a hefty COV. The quotes ranges from 45k to 60k.

I considered myself lucky coz I managed to get a ID company that helped me work around 45K excluding furnishing.

Avbeng, you at blk 28xx? I've seen some reno being done recently in my block... Em reno easily will cost in excess of 50k for an overhaul, plus furnishings likely to add another 20k or so. all I can say is, it's all worth it! Love the space!

Everyday we r also getting new add from our contractor, wait add here n there until my Hubb tell him we already tp a limit Liao, cannot go further Liao....I think they think we stay em pple got money in fact we r not lo, just that I like the two storey feels in hdb..... So cannot chop carrots at us like that lo...... :) I seriously got to ask this frenz of mine who she engage for her Id who can do at 30k which my contractor is curious of as well....a lot of forumers also agree at least min 50k for a overhaul Ma....

If you are really on a budget, just try to prioritise things that needs to be done at the start. I delayed some carpentry work in my study and spare room until about a year later. If you can afford it of course try to do it all at one go.

One of the SNAFUs I had was with the aircon. Initially I thought the AC was working fine (owner told us he changed 2 years ago) and we didn't change it, half a year later we started all sorts of problems with it. You can only imagine the nightmare of changing aircons when you have moved it and lived in a place for a while. So a word of advice would be to change all your ACs unless it is brand new. As for wiring, we did overhaul the place but on hindsight my parents place didn't have any wiring problems for 20+ years so probably not a must also.

If you are really on a budget, just try to prioritise things that needs to be done at the start. I delayed some carpentry work in my study and spare room until about a year later. If you can afford it of course try to do it all at one go.

One of the SNAFUs I had was with the aircon. Initially I thought the AC was working fine (owner told us he changed 2 years ago) and we didn't change it, half a year later we started all sorts of problems with it. You can only imagine the nightmare of changing aircons when you have moved it and lived in a place for a while. So a word of advice would be to change all your ACs unless it is brand new. As for wiring, we did overhaul the place but on hindsight my parents place didn't have any wiring problems for 20+ years so probably not a must also.

Hi aegis, ya in fact we cut down many things Liao lo, but to do renov is like that one lo, u gt to prepared got more things pop up la. My ex owners also tell me certain things are still in a good condition, bt I do agree with u that some things gt to change one shot, otherwise later u change will be nightmare Liao le.....haha.... Btw where us yr new nest located lei...

Hi aegis, ya in fact we cut down many things Liao lo, but to do renov is like that one lo, u gt to prepared got more things pop up la. My ex owners also tell me certain things are still in a good condition, bt I do agree with u that some things gt to change one shot, otherwise later u change will be nightmare Liao le.....haha.... Btw where us yr new nest located lei...

My place not that new already, moved in for 1yr 4+mths just that I was too lazy to do the t-blog thing! It's at Toh Guan Road...