Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tristesse

Mansionette Owner

Dear all,

Update: Executed my OTP, signed the loan docs, and agent has submitted for 1st appt - date is for Sep 19 (almost an 8-weeks wait).

Pray Pray ... everything 'smooth smooth' no more hiccups ... already very sianz 8 weeks to 1st appt.

Agent said that seller is agreeable to an early completion, so will strive and push the lawyers for it. Hopefully the bank officer refers an efficient lawyer to us. And so, if everything move swee swee, we shud be able to complete by end Oct and $$$ fly fly at the same time.

Still getting mixed reactions on my purchase :sport-smiley-004:

Some said good buy, some said we kena 'smoked and 'robbed' ...

done deal liao - can only hope for the best.

Have been reading the thread from page 1 (n still reading, now stopped at page 15). Seems that budget of doing minor works at 10k is Mission Impossible :yamseng:

1. MBR and common toilets

2. paint whole house including grills (using nippon medifresh)

3. Redo sink n cooking hob area, change chute

4. change lighting switches

5. change main door

6. polish marble flooring

7. varnish parquet flooring

8. Chemical wash balcony and kitchen flooring

any feedback on this?

company's web surfing - tons of firewall - block here block there ... cant even see pictures. have to go back to log on from home lappy.

At the mean time can go for shopping and jalan to look for stuff. Also can start to re-direct your existing flat mailsor letters to your mother's MIL house else it may be a little bit late upon you start to move out from your unit.

Happy renovation and shopping.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi MaCe,

Thanks for the feedback. Some more queries (sorry to be so lor-sor)

1. MBR and common toilets - one toilet is around $3k

* this is just the wet-works or includes everything - the sink, toilet, door, shower screen, heater?

2. paint whole house including grills (using nippon medifresh) - www.nipponpaint.com.sg $1600

3. Redo sink n cooking hob area, change chute - price difference a lot from brand+layout.

* looking at rinnai - seems to be a popular choice among forumers.

4. change lighting switches - depends from $3.50 a pcs.

5. change main door - from $380 to $1000

* is it a must to opt for fire rated doors?6. polish marble flooring - no idea

7. varnish parquet flooring - $100-$200 per room, staircase = $350

* faint liao - 3 bedrooms + 1 staircase = $950

8. Chemical wash balcony and kitchen flooring - around $120.

the grouting in the kitchen is really black ... really hope that the chemical wash will help, as at this rate, definitely no money to re-do kitchen flooring.

Did u start reno only after 2nd appt?

I am thinking of getting the contractor into applying for the reno permit etc before 2nd appt, and contractor can start work immediately after completion papers are signed. Is this a good idea to go? My initial preference is to start hacking 1 week before completion, but advised to wait until completion.

Aircon compressor - Did any EM owner place the compressor at the common corridor area (i.e. bracket is outside the common bedroom) or kitchen wall? I hv seen some EMs where ALL the compressors were installed outside the common bedrooms. :sport-smiley-004: rare to see such 'unity' among neighbours. HB n myself are extremely light sleepers - cannot imagine if the compressor is just outside the wall of MBR - think whole night we will be owls - hooting to the beat of the compressor :yamseng::)

1. MBR and common toilets - one toilet is around $3k

* this is just the wet-works or includes everything - the sink, toilet, door, shower screen, heater?

take out door($200), shower screen(some includes) and heater($250+).

2. paint whole house including grills (using nippon medifresh) - www.nipponpaint.com.sg $1600

sorry, miss out the grills, nipponpaint i dont know whether they will paint the grills .

3. Redo sink n cooking hob area, change chute - price difference a lot from brand+layout.

* looking at rinnai - seems to be a popular choice among forumers.

kitchen can be VERY EXPENSIVE - really depends.

4. change lighting switches - depends from $3.50 a pcs.

5. change main door - from $380 to $1000

* is it a must to opt for fire rated doors?

only if your unit is next to the staircase or lift. then you need fire door. fire door at least $600!

6. polish marble flooring - no idea

7. varnish parquet flooring - $100-$200 per room, staircase = $350

* faint liao - 3 bedrooms + 1 staircase = $950

8. Chemical wash balcony and kitchen flooring - around $120.

the grouting in the kitchen is really black ... really hope that the chemical wash will help, as at this rate, definitely no money to re-do kitchen flooring.

better to call a few contractors and quote you. so at least you know whats the exact cost might look like.

took me 20k to do just the groundfloor cos i engage HOBEE (see their reputation in reno firms section).

You forgot water piping($500) and electrical wiring($2k+), plus installation CHARGEs of hood/hobs/aircon/heater and the small small stuffs that pops up during reno.

for reno permit, dont worry, the contractors can get the permit in less than 2 days.

Hi MaCe,

Did u start reno only after 2nd appt?

I am thinking of getting the contractor into applying for the reno permit etc before 2nd appt, and contractor can start work immediately after completion papers are signed. Is this a good idea to go? My initial preference is to start hacking 1 week before completion, but advised to wait until completion.

Aircon compressor - Did any EM owner place the compressor at the common corridor area (i.e. bracket is outside the common bedroom) or kitchen wall? I hv seen some EMs where ALL the compressors were installed outside the common bedrooms. :yamseng: rare to see such 'unity' among neighbours. HB n myself are extremely light sleepers - cannot imagine if the compressor is just outside the wall of MBR - think whole night we will be owls - hooting to the beat of the compressor :good::D

u can start reno before completion date, in fact some did it after going thru 1st appt but must get seller to sign an indemnity form. And the best is to wait for the in-principle approval after the 1st appt paper work just in case seller got some unsettled issues with HDB, CPF or IRAS. Hmmm....I think the condenser outside the MBR shouldnt be a problem even for light sleepers as wont be able to hear a thing once u on the air con so u can sleep thru the night :( .

This is how mine looks like...

dscn2215gh5.th.jpg

wow, illegally done up nicely :bath: I think its very common among EM owners who dont have the bamboo holes.....dun think HDB or town council bother about it right? The HDB inspector also didnt ask your seller to remove it though its illegally done up so there shouldnt be an issue with it.

since the living room is being extended so the bamboo holes are at the living room (formerly the balcony)?

u can start reno before completion date, in fact some did it after going thru 1st appt but must get seller to sign an indemnity form. And the best is to wait for the in-principle approval after the 1st appt paper work just in case seller got some unsettled issues with HDB, CPF or IRAS. Hmmm....I think the condenser outside the MBR shouldnt be a problem even for light sleepers as wont be able to hear a thing once u on the air con so u can sleep thru the night :good: .

wow, illegally done up nicely :yamseng: I think its very common among EM owners who dont have the bamboo holes.....dun think HDB or town council bother about it right? The HDB inspector also didnt ask your seller to remove it though its illegally done up so there shouldnt be an issue with it.

since the living room is being extended so the bamboo holes are at the living room (formerly the balcony)?

Nope..it's actually at the kitchen window...kinda weird to hang clothes out..i'm the only unit in the block with this done illegally...ahaha...The HDB inspector also never ask them to remove..

Dear all,

Have been reading the thread from page 1 (n still reading, now stopped at page 15). Seems that budget of doing minor works at 10k is Mission Impossible :(

1. MBR and common toilets

2. paint whole house including grills (using nippon medifresh)

3. Redo sink n cooking hob area, change chute

4. change lighting switches

5. change main door

6. polish marble flooring

7. varnish parquet flooring

8. Chemical wash balcony and kitchen flooring

any feedback on this?

1. the bulk cost of doing up kitchen and toilets comes from wall tiles.

2. painting should be around 1600-2200 depending on type of paints used, can cut cost by getting legal foreign workers around your estate to do it. My friend did that and really save alot.

3. cost of re-doing the sink, cooking hob wld depend on materials u using ie concrete support with granite finishing or solid top or ceramic tiles.

3a. rubbish chute should be less than $200. I bought mine for around $120-140 (cant recall) then got the workers to install for me. My ID charge me close to $300 for rubbish chute and labour so I opted out since the rubbish chute wont be gold plated....hahah, that's what I told my id cos I wont pay $300+ for rubbish chute when I cld get it elsewhere for less than half of the cost :dancingqueen:

4. depending on the types of switches...designer switches cost more. Not doing re-wiring?

5. Is it necessary to change the main door? U might also have to factor in the cost for the new door frame for your new door. Do check with area office if yr door is fire-rated cos it'll be a waste if u change it to a non-fire rated door. Heehee...if u dun want, then can donate to me...hahaha....

8. chemical wash can be bargained as FOC item from your contractor/id.

good luck and do post pics, both b4 & after reno.

Nope..it's actually at the kitchen window...kinda weird to hang clothes out..i'm the only unit in the block with this done illegally...ahaha...The HDB inspector also never ask them to remove..

think u'll get used to it unless u dont intend to use it. In fact, its much better hanging out yr laundry as u dont have to wori about dripping laundries fr above :)

Edited by hello88

i think i ever came across someone who also had same problem as u. She also extended her living room so no place to hang her laundry but i think her EM got a service balcony. U also extended yr living room?

Ya loh... living room extended to the balcony. And my kitchen is extremely small. Looks like i gotta make sure of the common staircase landing to hang my laundry :dancingqueen:

This is how mine looks like...

dscn2215gh5.th.jpg

Like that also can ah?

Somehow they managed to get someone to 'cement' the bamboo pole holders onto the wall..

Can any body advise do I need to apply for permit to build a roof in my balcony? Or can I just go to a contractor to do the work.

Can any body advise do I need to apply for permit to build a roof in my balcony? Or can I just go to a contractor to do the work.

usually contractor will apply for you. HDB dont charge single cent for permit, just that the contractor needs spend some petrol to go to the branch office thats all.

usually contractor will apply for you. HDB dont charge single cent for permit, just that the contractor needs spend some petrol to go to the branch office thats all.

Thank Brother MaCe. Any idea roughtly how much $$ does it cost ot build a simple roof top? Appreciate for the advises :bangwall:

Thank Brother MaCe. Any idea roughtly how much $$ does it cost ot build a simple roof top? Appreciate for the advises :bangwall:

no need say thanks lah - when i new here, pple help me also, me just returning the goodwill back to new members.

I did ask for a few quotes for roofs - all around $2000 - $2300.00

but roof is roof, windows is windows, you need to pay for windows to be installed. :D

prepare around $3k+ for the above.

more things to add -

1) your tiles at balcony - if need to re tile it gonna cost around $700(floor+wall)

2) floor height, if need to raise the floor at balcony to the same height as living room another $300-$400

me gave up at the end cos i cant afford it...

no need say thanks lah - when i new here, pple help me also, me just returning the goodwill back to new members.

I did ask for a few quotes for roofs - all around $2000 - $2300.00

but roof is roof, windows is windows, you need to pay for windows to be installed. :)

prepare around $3k+ for the above.

more things to add -

1) your tiles at balcony - if need to re tile it gonna cost around $700(floor+wall)

2) floor height, if need to raise the floor at balcony to the same height as living room another $300-$400

me gave up at the end cos i cant afford it...

Yah must save money till end of the year. Hope this year got good bonus. 8|

Intending to do a build up to counter react the birds and grill issues. So my year end plan after bonus is to

1 Dismantle the upper grill

2 Build a straignt wooden roof

3 Build blue tint silding windows in the balcony

4 Build full height blue intinted sliding sliding windows from roof top to celing

$$$$$

:P