Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mysweetlittlethings

Our Sweet Little Wajek House

For reconstruction, did the architect highlight to you that you have to strictly comply with all regulations eg setback for front (7.5m)and back(2n), new bomb shelter located somewhere in the middle of yr living room etc.

We are yet to go into details with the architect yet - I guess after TOPO :)

Meanwhile, He has requested us to obtain the following documents from our lawyer - road interpretation, sewerage & drainage (legal requisition reply).

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

For reconstruction, my experience, during the initial design development stage, you must have a good architect and structural engineer. These 2 must really be on the ball, to come out with approved drawings for submission. If they show sign of delay, that's it, yr permit to commencement got to wait for long long time.

• Like 1

For reconstruction, my experience, during the initial design development stage, you must have a good architect and structural engineer. These 2 must really be on the ball, to come out with approved drawings for submission. If they show sign of delay, that's it, yr permit to commencement got to wait for long long time.

Hope that everything will be 顺顺利利!

Now pending quotation from surveyor :)

Cheers,

Met with Architect & ID on site yesterday :)

At least we are moving forward - HAPPY!

We will first be required to bring in the land surveyor to do topography on site - one day required (guess we will be doing it after key collection)

Architect has advised us to go for reconstruction as:

1. More cost efficient

2. Termites spotted on site

3. we need to elevate the ground near entrance

We will most likely for the next 4 months to tackle on designs + submission / approval + sourcing for builders

HOORAY!!!

I am not surprised that the architect asked for topo survey. From the photos, the boundary fences appeared to sit on an elevated ground so not sure whether the fences were put up by owner or LTA, or if the fences encroached. Also the step-down that you can see at the backyard access?

Based on the kind of design you want for the house, it is doubtless that a reconstruction is called for. But whether a reconstruction is cost efficient, for me I think that the key question that needs answered firstly, are you able to top up the lease?

Without the lease top-up, assuming that the reconstruction runs into $1.0 mil, so that gives us $2.6-$2.7 mil over about 38 years. That is a straight-line depeciation of about $68,000 per year, still OK when you see this amount as rental replacement. Of course, the lease top-up does not come FOC.

Enjoy!

Edited by Lauer

Hope that everything will be 顺顺利利!

Now pending quotation from surveyor :)

Cheers,

Hi,

congrats on your purchase.

Let me say something. If you rebuild, from an investment point of view, you will only get 5% gross rental yield if you eventually move out after a few years. If your neighbor decides to rebuild as well, I am confident your yield will increase to 7-8%. Landed housing don't command good rental returns.

38yrs of balance leasehold is very short, are u applying to top up lease before rebuilding?

Wow! U guys are really experts - I am definitely not gd, hubby tackles that portion. Hee! Hee! I will settle interior :)

We will still keep it single storey, thus we doubt that the cost would hit a million.

Heard from a property valuer that there are properties in that area with lease top-up recently, which is gd news for us :) but we will not be doing it now.

Lease top-up is calculated based on the market price, so we will probably wait. :)

Looking forward to receiving quotations from Architect & ID :)

Hopefully it's within our budget.

What should I take note in the architect's quotation?

Understand some quotation comes in 2 parts: design & submission stage; construction stage. Check quotation whether include project management scope, whether include calling tender and award scope; if not, you may engage a QS to do contractual documentation and subsequent assessment of progress claim. Of course, this mean pay more $. Some arch also include ID scope, but charge fee seperately; and some specify : only do design and you probably won't see them on site at all to help monitor; unless u specify include project mgmt, I know of some (on the ball) even specify weekly or bi-wkly site meeting, in order for close monitoring. Also check arch fee payment terms, some very high front loading, meaning pay bulk of the fee first, to me is risky. If fall out with him and need to change arch, cant get back $, and need pay another high fee again to re- engage another one. Some include structural scope, meaning they are responsible to engage the structural PE. good and bad. If he can't perform or drag your project, both professional scope are affected and construction will delay, you can wait 2-3 years for completion and move in. Know of some owner engage structural PE themselves to control payment. Some arch charge lump sum, some based on % construction cost. Good and bad. For %, If got high VO due to changes, mean higher fee. For lump sum, take care of everything till get final completion cert also can do. Also got case when arch and structural dwgs don't tally, also got problem. And we also have not mentioned about M&E scope, who design and prepare submission....for electrical, aircon and plumbing. Many things to consider ... Have not touch on contractor yet.

Understand some quotation comes in 2 parts: design & submission stage; construction stage. Check quotation whether include project management scope, whether include calling tender and award scope; if not, you may engage a QS to do contractual documentation and subsequent assessment of progress claim. Of course, this mean pay more $. Some arch also include ID scope, but charge fee seperately; and some specify : only do design and you probably won't see them on site at all to help monitor; unless u specify include project mgmt, I know of some (on the ball) even specify weekly or bi-wkly site meeting, in order for close monitoring. Also check arch fee payment terms, some very high front loading, meaning pay bulk of the fee first, to me is risky. If fall out with him and need to change arch, cant get back $, and need pay another high fee again to re- engage another one. Some include structural scope, meaning they are responsible to engage the structural PE. good and bad. If he can't perform or drag your project, both professional scope are affected and construction will delay, you can wait 2-3 years for completion and move in. Know of some owner engage structural PE themselves to control payment. Some arch charge lump sum, some based on % construction cost. Good and bad. For %, If got high VO due to changes, mean higher fee. For lump sum, take care of everything till get final completion cert also can do. Also got case when arch and structural dwgs don't tally, also got problem. And we also have not mentioned about M&E scope, who design and prepare submission....for electrical, aircon and plumbing. Many things to consider ... Have not touch on contractor yet.

Wow! Wow! Tks for the info!!!

Really not as straightforward as HDB..........

Jia you jia you jia you!!!!

Wow! Wow! Tks for the info!!!

Really not as straightforward as HDB..........

Jia you jia you jia you!!!!

Hope I have not scared you ok? Not my intention. Just wish to give some factual pointers for you to consider.

Wow! U guys are really experts - I am definitely not gd, hubby tackles that portion. Hee! Hee! I will settle interior :)

We will still keep it single storey, thus we doubt that the cost would hit a million.

Heard from a property valuer that there are properties in that area with lease top-up recently, which is gd news for us :) but we will not be doing it now.

Lease top-up is calculated based on the market price, so we will probably wait. :)

Rebuilding into a single storey? Hmmm, getting more interesting...

Two years ago, it was very hard to find online information regarding landed reconstruction. Some of the sources available then remained relevant today, I think:

- Leechaorui posts in Renotalk forum,

- Facebook "Our Living Spaces",

- Pantieileen blog posts, which you can find the link from her posts in Renotalk forum.

And of course Jumbopanther t-blog posts which contain some very good information on the construction process.

Cheers!

Edited by Lauer

Rebuilding into a single storey? Hmmm, getting more interesting...

Two years ago, it was very hard to find online informationn regarding landed reconstruction. Some of the sources available then remained relevant today, I think:

- Leechaorui posts in Renotalk forum,

- Facebook "Our Living Spaces",

- Pantieileen blog posts, which you can find the link from her posts in Renotalk forum.

And of course Jumbopanther t-blog posts which contain some very good information on the construction process.

Cheers!

Hi,

Tks again for the great info!

Ha! Probably cos we are getting tired + old, thus climbing up the stairs for the past 7 years ESP with the groceries for the past 2 yrs is kinda a dread. ha! ha!

Single storey with high ceiling so that we can build a mezzanine :)

Hi,

Tks again for the great info!

Ha! Probably cos we are getting tired + old, thus climbing up the stairs for the past 7 years ESP with the groceries for the past 2 yrs is kinda a dread. ha! ha!

Single storey with high ceiling so that we can build a mezzanine :)

Mezzanine? Lovely idea...

Here is a song, McCartney said it is a sad song, about not attaining the end of the road he was heading. But somehow it gave me inspiration to continue on when facing a hurdle. Hope that you get the same in your journey.

Here it goes...

Enjoy!

Hi all,

Have just received a lump sum quote from the architect - S$12K.

Scope includes:

- prepare & submit plans to URA, BCA, other technical departments etc & obtain all clearances

- periodic inspection of work till completion

- co-ordinate with other consultants to ensure compliance of relevant regulations

- application of TOP / Certificate of Statutory Completion

- call for tender (Main Contractor)

Is quote reasonable?

Pls advise.

Tks in advance!