Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
spikedoll

Em For A Lazy Couple And A Dog

Time really flies...was in renotalk 5 years ago when we had our Punggol 5i flat from then walk-in-selection. Didn't do any reno then coz it was a repurchased unit that was only 2yrs old and 100% renovated and in very mint condition.200% move-in condition so can say we don't have any experience in reno ;)

fast forward to 5yrs MOP this september, we started to look around for EM. Reason for choosing EM - love the space, privacy of having bedrooms upstair...and coz of our dog :notti: more space for our lil terror to run about.

Initially we were looking at west because it's nearer to my parents but we didn't manage to find any suitable unit to our liking. Either that or our offers were rejected. Seller's agents tend to screen if we are private downgrader (they are perceived to have more buying power & cash rich to pay for the rocket high cov. Some agents even told my agent don't waste their time if we can't pay their asking COV (80~100k++) even for Jurong and non-prime locations. Obviously we are not willing to pay that high cov for these locations. Next we changed our location to east (Pasir Ris and Tampines)...made an offer to one unit but rejected again.

Anyway fast forward again..we finally decided on this unit in Bishan. Went for 2nd viewing and OTP on that fateful night.

Now waiting for 1st appointment in Dec and reno probably can only start after CNY.

Tried going through RT blogs but can't find same layout as mine. Anyway we have not confirm any contractor/ID yet. We already know what we want to do but welcome all ideas and advices.

As the title stated, we are lazy people..lazy to go around comparing and meeting so many ID.contractors. So appreciate if you guys can provide me good contacts...if you are me, what will you do to this layout? we are happy to hear from you guys. :notti::notti:

this is our layout..Gen 2 corner unit 151sqm. we will Hack first floor bedroom wall coz the existing dining + bedroom will become living room.

layout.jpg

Edited by spikedoll

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Congrates! :dancingqueen:

I'm starting my Reno next week. If the quality and workmanship are :thumbs up: I will recommend my ID to you.

Meanwhile happy shopping! :drunk:

Time really flies...was in renotalk 5 years ago when we had our Punggol 5i flat from then walk-in-selection. Didn't do any reno then coz it was a repurchased unit that was only 2yrs old and 100% renovated and in very mint condition.200% move-in condition so can say we don't have any experience in reno ;)

fast forward to 5yrs MOP this september, we started to look around for EM. Reason for choosing EM - love the space, privacy of having bedrooms upstair...and coz of our dog :notti: more space for our lil terror to run about.

Initially we were looking at west because it's nearer to my parents but we didn't manage to find any suitable unit to our liking. Either that or our offers were rejected. Seller's agents tend to screen if we are private downgrader (they are perceived to have more buying power & cash rich to pay for the rocket high cov. Some agents even told my agent don't waste their time if we can't pay their asking COV (80~100k++) even for Jurong and non-prime locations. Obviously we are not willing to pay that high cov for these locations. Next we changed our location to east (Pasir Ris and Tampines)...made an offer to one unit but rejected again.

Anyway fast forward again..we finally decided on this unit in Bishan. Went for 2nd viewing and OTP on that fateful night.

Now waiting for 1st appointment in Dec and reno probably can only start after CNY.

Tried going through RT blogs but can't find same layout as mine. Anyway we have not confirm any contractor/ID yet. We already know what we want to do but welcome all ideas and advices.

As the title stated, we are lazy people..lazy to go around comparing and meeting so many ID.contractors. So appreciate if you guys can provide me good contacts...if you are me, what will you do to this layout? we are happy to hear from you guys. :notti::notti:

this is our layout..Gen 2 corner unit 151sqm. we will Hack first floor bedroom wall coz the existing dining + bedroom will become living room.

layout.jpg

Wow congrats, your layout is very good compared with other EM model, cos you have 3 bedrooms plus 1 study/bedroom and your living and dining area look spacious. Your doggie can climb the stairs to do exercise keke. How much do you pay for your COV at Bishan prime area? Looking forward to more pictures!

Hi spikedoll,

Congrats! Your 1st apt and reno timing is about the same as mine. We are also talking to a few IDs at the moment.

Your layout is indeed unique. Just like a typical Gen 2 but with the entrance located at one corner of the living room instead of at the dining room right wall.

I can think of many possibilities with your layout. Swap the living and dining areas, hack the kitchen wall (open concept), wet kitchen at the balcony, dry kitchen at current location, or turn the balcony into laundry area/backyard garden. Your MBR bathroom entrance is at a good location (hidden from sight). More wall space for wardrobe.

Have fun with your plans!

layout.jpg

nice layout! :)

our animals were also a consideration when we started looking for an EM :D

Wow congrats, your layout is very good compared with other EM model, cos you have 3 bedrooms plus 1 study/bedroom and your living and dining area look spacious. Your doggie can climb the stairs to do exercise keke. How much do you pay for your COV at Bishan prime area? Looking forward to more pictures!

Hi Velarine

Thanks thanks. Haha my dog is abit slow in climbing stairs..need more practice for her. We will hack down the study/bedroom at first floor coz we plan to have our living room at that side. No plans for the original living room area yet but we like to keep the place as clutter-free as possible..do not like typical fancy TV feature wall and many furnitures that make the place look small.

we paid 6 digits for cov *sweat*

Hi spikedoll,

Congrats! Your 1st apt and reno timing is about the same as mine. We are also talking to a few IDs at the moment.

Your layout is indeed unique. Just like a typical Gen 2 but with the entrance located at one corner of the living room instead of at the dining room right wall.

I can think of many possibilities with your layout. Swap the living and dining areas, hack the kitchen wall (open concept), wet kitchen at the balcony, dry kitchen at current location, or turn the balcony into laundry area/backyard garden. Your MBR bathroom entrance is at a good location (hidden from sight). More wall space for wardrobe.

Have fun with your plans!

Hi benauhc

hope you find your ideal ID soon. Really headache to source for a good one isn't it? we have actually met a few IDs and contractor. Since we already know what we want so we might be getting contractor instead. During our meetups with IDs, most of the time we are the ones telling them what we want. They hardly give us ideas that we really like except for one or two who are really experienced but can tell their background is actually started as renovator/contractor then start their own ID biz. Or maybe we haven't met the right one yet coz we are too lazy to look around :P

my ah lao die die must keep the balcony. One ID suggested to extend our kitchen to balcony and block up the balcony entrance..my ah lao :furious: he said it's rare to have such double volume balcony which is one of unique feature of EM.

yes we will have open concept kitchen :notti:

seems like we have alot things to do..pocket also will burn big hole till 脱裤

nice layout! :)

our animals were also a consideration when we started looking for an EM :D

tell me about it...everything involves our dog...coz she's part of family as well :D

Congrats in buying ur em, wow I really love the ur em layout! How I wish mine was like that is like can have 3 rooms with toilets.. Envy!

I think we won't get to use much coz only two of us :rolleyes: I have this house rule that my ah lao can only use one toilet coz if he suka suka use all toilet for his biz means i need to wash all toilets.The common toilet at level 2 is very big L-shaped..wish that is MBR toilet though so can put more of daily-use barang barang in there.

Btw I'm stalking your blog and all EM blogs to get ideas :notti::notti: love to see the transformations !

Hi benauhc

hope you find your ideal ID soon. Really headache to source for a good one isn't it? we have actually met a few IDs and contractor. Since we already know what we want so we might be getting contractor instead. During our meetups with IDs, most of the time we are the ones telling them what we want. They hardly give us ideas that we really like except for one or two who are really experienced but can tell their background is actually started as renovator/contractor then start their own ID biz. Or maybe we haven't met the right one yet coz we are too lazy to look around :P

my ah lao die die must keep the balcony. One ID suggested to extend our kitchen to balcony and block up the balcony entrance..my ah lao :furious: he said it's rare to have such double volume balcony which is one of unique feature of EM.

yes we will have open concept kitchen :notti:

seems like we have alot things to do..pocket also will burn big hole till 脱裤

Hi Spikedoll, congrats once again.... this time for starting ur own t-blog.

Your EM layout in Bishan is very nice.... Is it somewhere near to St 22? I ve viewed many units in Bishan before but the COV was enough to put me off. I love you layout, particularly the room on level 1 which can be converted to a guest room. The open kitchen concept is indeed a good one which makes ur place look even bigger. Btw, what is the area of your EM?

I also like the 2nd balcony / foyer.:good:

layout.jpg

Congrats on your new place. Love corner units. I have seen this layout before, can't rem from where tho.

Based on living in an EM for a year-ish...

1. Main entrance balcony --> convert to 'genkan' so I can just kick off my shoes instead of having to pick them up n place on shoe rack. Mabbe get a small stool (not enough space for bench?) to sit and wear shoes.

2. Living room --> Use a bit of space for shoe cabinet (space depends on how many pairs of shoes to cater for... or possibly put shoe rack in entrance balcony)

3. Living room stays as living room

4. Balcony stays as double height balcony (where will fur-kid sleep btw?)

5. Dining/study --> part convert to dry kitchen/bar (area outside study), part keep as dining, keep room as guest/study room but possibly from dining room depending on layout

6. Storeroom --> create one using either study or dining room space

7. Kitchen --> open concept, and make sure stove is not under either toilet bowl upstairs.

8. Utility (dryer/washer/ironing/pails/mops) --> create from kitchen

9. BR2&3 --> hack, combine into MBR and WIW

10. WC2 --> use as MBR toilet

11. WC1 --> use as 2nd toilet

12. MBR --> keep empty as future kid/s room

Above of course really depends on external view (e.g. face another block or unblocked), sun direction & personal needs.

All subject to approval from FSM. :rolleyes:

Notable things I've learnt from staying in my place:

- Hate to keep shoes, so genkan is a must (am super lazy lar)

- Storage very very important. Silly store under stairs is not enough.

- Utility area needs to be bigger to cater for washer/dryer, ironing board, pails, mops, brooms, etc else the mess spills to the guest WC/outside which is unsightly. :(

- Guest room very impt (ppl automatically assume you have space since you stay in a relatively larger space without understanding that all that space has been converted for other uses) :bangwall:

Looking forward to the before and after pics. :yamseng:

Can't wait to see more pics from ur blog.. U may want to consider my contractor.. Though I don't know if his workmanship is gd but he claim that they use the same worker as chew.. One thing I like abt him is the service, very responsive and trying very hard to accommodate my budget by squeezing everything I want into my budget and give me discount for those that can't fit in..