Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
spikedoll

Em For A Lazy Couple And A Dog

This is by far my favourite-test EM layout. Look at all the square rooms, without *any* funny corners or protrusions. I viewed this configuration of unit before, and loved the airy feeling, as you step into the unit, you have the balcony in front of you, and if you turn right, you look straight down the hall at another set of windows. And you have four normal sized rooms, each bigger than what you get in new-build BTO flats, which the ground floor one can be used for aged parents or a maid (since you're lazy).

The only such unit that came up during my time searching was in Serangoon Central, and hence asking silly money, which I couldn't afford...

Edited by cleong

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi Spikedoll, congrats once again.... this time for starting ur own t-blog.

Your EM layout in Bishan is very nice.... Is it somewhere near to St 22? I ve viewed many units in Bishan before but the COV was enough to put me off. I love you layout, particularly the room on level 1 which can be converted to a guest room. The open kitchen concept is indeed a good one which makes ur place look even bigger. Btw, what is the area of your EM?

I also like the 2nd balcony / foyer.:good:

Hi Kang Dang bro

yes it's at st 22..opposite is Clover by the park / Bishan Park where we can walk our dog. According to the owner, he bought the small recess area. It's actually very small so I guess nothing much can be done there..maybe high shoe cabinet or something (if FSM permit)..will show pics after 1st appointment coz now still not rightful owner so not very nice to post here ..keke

Congrats on your new place. Love corner units. I have seen this layout before, can't rem from where tho.

Based on living in an EM for a year-ish...

1. Main entrance balcony --> convert to 'genkan' so I can just kick off my shoes instead of having to pick them up n place on shoe rack. Mabbe get a small stool (not enough space for bench?) to sit and wear shoes.

2. Living room --> Use a bit of space for shoe cabinet (space depends on how many pairs of shoes to cater for... or possibly put shoe rack in entrance balcony)

3. Living room stays as living room

4. Balcony stays as double height balcony (where will fur-kid sleep btw?)

5. Dining/study --> part convert to dry kitchen/bar (area outside study), part keep as dining, keep room as guest/study room but possibly from dining room depending on layout

6. Storeroom --> create one using either study or dining room space

7. Kitchen --> open concept, and make sure stove is not under either toilet bowl upstairs.

8. Utility (dryer/washer/ironing/pails/mops) --> create from kitchen

9. BR2&3 --> hack, combine into MBR and WIW

10. WC2 --> use as MBR toilet

11. WC1 --> use as 2nd toilet

12. MBR --> keep empty as future kid/s room

Above of course really depends on external view (e.g. face another block or unblocked), sun direction & personal needs.

All subject to approval from FSM. :rolleyes:

Notable things I've learnt from staying in my place:

- Hate to keep shoes, so genkan is a must (am super lazy lar)

- Storage very very important. Silly store under stairs is not enough.

- Utility area needs to be bigger to cater for washer/dryer, ironing board, pails, mops, brooms, etc else the mess spills to the guest WC/outside which is unsightly. :(

- Guest room very impt (ppl automatically assume you have space since you stay in a relatively larger space without understanding that all that space has been converted for other uses) :bangwall:

Looking forward to the before and after pics. :yamseng:

Thanks so much for ideas..ya we definitely going keep the balcony..btw what is genkan? me very suaku

ya utility area is a must for WM,dryer and those barang barang to keep them out of sight in open concept kitchen.

Love your place which is clean, spacious,clutter free...btw just curious..does your place still look the same after a year? kekeke

How u maintain it?

Hi Kang Dang bro

yes it's at st 22..opposite is Clover by the park / Bishan Park where we can walk our dog. According to the owner, he bought the small recess area. It's actually very small so I guess nothing much can be done there..maybe high shoe cabinet or something (if FSM permit)..will show pics after 1st appointment coz now still not rightful owner so not very nice to post here ..keke

Lol... No wonder your EM layout seems so familiar. I actually like your site coz the land is on higher ground compared to those on the salvation army side. A year ago, an EM which we like very much there was going for 850k but our pockets were not deep enough, so we gave up. U made a good choice :)

850k a year ago? Then asking COV must be 200k or more? Were many units selling at that range then?

One thing I like is the market, shops and kopitiam just right next to our blk. ( for lazy people like us). One thing I dislike is the parking. Lack of parking lots and mscp not nearby coz our current MSCP is just right below and linked to our blk. Convenient especially on rainy days and when we have alot stuff to carry.

850k a year ago? Then asking COV must be 200k or more? Were many units selling at that range then?

One thing I like is the market, shops and kopitiam just right next to our blk. ( for lazy people like us). One thing I dislike is the parking. Lack of parking lots and mscp not nearby coz our current MSCP is just right below and linked to our blk. Convenient especially on rainy days and when we have alot stuff to carry.

The prices were crazy then. EM ranges from 700k to 850k. Some buyers even lock in the price before valuation report was up. Valuation in Bishan area was hovering around 650K to 700k a year ago. I also notice many of the buyers were landed property downgraders n therefore were cash rich....can't match these people on terms of COV affordability.... So we gave up!

Edited by potatoes

Thanks so much for ideas..ya we definitely going keep the balcony..btw what is genkan? me very suaku

ya utility area is a must for WM,dryer and those barang barang to keep them out of sight in open concept kitchen.

Love your place which is clean, spacious,clutter free...btw just curious..does your place still look the same after a year? kekeke

How u maintain it?

I learnt abt genkan from kirinshibori's t-blog on RT. It's a japanese foyer.

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=48242&view=findpost&p=705481

Very practical idea.

After a year, my place still looks clean, spacious, clutter free... only after a massive clean up exercise. LOL.

I don't have kids, so the only ones who messes up the place is me (& hubby).

I agree with u, Spikedoll that Adidaem place always looks very spacious, neat and clutter free, even after 1 yr plus. I struggle every weekend to do housekeeping n packing. How much can be done with 2 teenage kids? I tried to set routines and set duties for them.

Storage space is very impt to hide many of these stuff. I created a hidden store near the balcony to keep bulky items. Hope u have this mind when u r renovating.

This is by far my favourite-test EM layout. Look at all the square rooms, without *any* funny corners or protrusions. I viewed this configuration of unit before, and loved the airy feeling, as you step into the unit, you have the balcony in front of you, and if you turn right, you look straight down the hall at another set of windows. And you have four normal sized rooms, each bigger than what you get in new-build BTO flats, which the ground floor one can be used for aged parents or a maid (since you're lazy).

The only such unit that came up during my time searching was in Serangoon Central, and hence asking silly money, which I couldn't afford...

The first time we viewed such layout was in Cck.. The agent told mine last offer 80k rejected.. Then few days later the agent said 90k rejected.. Somemore only 2nd floor facing MSCP. Then we saw same layout in tampines. Our offer rejected again and again. The unit is still selling now, asking for 150k COV and owner demands 2 mths extension. We gave up. notice bishan has quite many such layout.

I agree with u, Spikedoll that Adidaem place always looks very spacious, neat and clutter free, even after 1 yr plus. I struggle every weekend to do housekeeping n packing. How much can be done with 2 teenage kids? I tried to set routines and set duties for them.

Storage space is very impt to hide many of these stuff. I created a hidden store near the balcony to keep bulky items. Hope u have this mind when u r renovating.

I think with kids it's unavoidable haha.. Same goes to me who has a dog.my dog likes to bring all her toys out and play. End up the toys are all over the place. I vaccum and mop daily coz I'm quite a cleanliness freak. I'm not lazy in this area haha. Ah Lao said I use alot water

Uhhh, thanks but my place is usually a mess lar. :P

We only do the massive clean up when people come over. The spaciousness comes with the whiteness and open space, so thankfully no change for that.

Oh ya, and my kitchen has too many gadgets now... Sous Vide machine, vacuum sealer, ice cream maker... all over the counters so lesson learnt is that we really shd have planned for gadgets space.

Also still hate the pail and mops in the guest loo (not that we use it often but still...) so a decent sized utility area is really important too.

Well we try to confine most of our mess to the study and LEGO room, but still struggle with daily mess. So yeah, Potatoes is right, storage is really really important.