Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

In our search for the mattress, we managed to finally eat this (or rather I finally managed to eat this!)

8604645205_55aea8665d_n.jpg

Kay Lee Roast Meat Joint by Makanology, on Flickr

Succulent fatty char siew with some charred bits, roast pork & roast duck with awfully nice crispy skin. Not cheap, 3 types of roast for 2 persons with 2 rice & drinks @ $25 but the fatty part & crispy skin is worth it.

Check it out when you head to Amasco, Odyssey, Cheap Mattress Centre & Hock Siong: all in the same area. Oh we spotted Lush there too.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I realize Mr E & I are 'soft-hearted' folks who prefer warm, sincere service even if the price or item may not be the best for us. Yesterday and today, we patronized 2 family-run shops and decided to buy from them instead of the usual Courts etc. And we didn't even checked other shops to ensure that we have gotten the best deal! Support the SMEs! (Downside: they don't accept credit cards so can't earn cash rebates, aiyah!)

Edited by Makanology

Bought most of our electrical appliances from Unilite and our mattress from Cheap Mattress Centre @ Macpherson. Impulse buys to some extent especially we haven't even received our keys :D I think we are one of the most kiasu couples around LOL

Now only left TV, sound bar, Ikea stuff for the living room & store room, sanitary wares, bed, drawers, bookshelf, lighting & switches!

Edited by Makanology

Bought most of our electrical appliances from Unilite and our mattress from Cheap Mattress Centre @ Macpherson. Impulse buys to some extent especially we haven't even received our keys :D I think we are one of the most kiasu couples around LOL

Now only left TV, sound bar, Ikea stuff for the living room & store room, sanitary wares, bed, drawers, bookshelf, lighting & switches!

Wa, you so fast bought all your electrical appliances liao! So did u bought smeg fridge? :sport-smiley-018:

ha not kiasu la..i know that kind of excitement feeling that you have and wanted to buy for yr own house..

good deals can grab..if the stores allow to keep for you till may june that's gd..

yr tv dun buy so early..cos prices kept dropping...try keep electrical items to buy perhaps like 3 weeks before yr flat is ready, the price difference is really huge..

example i was sourcing for a samsung fridge that was around dec 2012..price was like $1399

i bought the same brand of fridge in March 2013..price dropped to $999!

Yes agree with you, TV price sure will drop... Now have to be giraffe and tune up radar to sense for the next IT Fair.

For our other electrical items, we are using 冷门 brands so doubt there will be much discounts for our hob, hood, microwave, washing machine & fridge.

Edited by Makanology

I realize Mr E & I are 'soft-hearted' folks who prefer warm, sincere service even if the price or item may not be the best for us. Yesterday and today, we patronized 2 family-run shops and decided to buy from them instead of the usual Courts etc. And we didn't even checked other shops to ensure that we have gotten the best deal! Support the SMEs! (Downside: they don't accept credit cards so can't earn cash rebates, aiyah!)

My mummy doesn't like to buy from Courts! She actually feels like it's more expensive (er...I dunno if it's more of a feeling thing or she really did make comparisons). Anyway, we have been living in the west for 20-30 years, my mum always go to 400+/500+ markets in Jurong West for her electrical appliances. Recently, we changed one double socket and one 3-gang switch, supply & install was $45. Consider reasonable?

Saw 2 mattress warehouse sales going on this weekend - Slumberland & Dunlopillo. Are such sales worthwhile? Can they keep stock for 2 months?

We have set aside $1k for our mattress; hope this is enough for a decent mattress. Defintely not looking at a spring one as our current one is giving us bad back problems just after 2 years (maybe it is a cheap one?) exploring foam or latex ones but I am completely clueless! Any recommendations?

So what kind of mattress did you buy in the end? I also have back problems and have to sleep on very firm mattress. I've always though spring ones will give more support than foam/latex...though haven't researched much into this yet. Focusing on finding an ID/contractor now! :P

So what kind of mattress did you buy in the end? I also have back problems and have to sleep on very firm mattress. I've always though spring ones will give more support than foam/latex...though haven't researched much into this yet. Focusing on finding an ID/contractor now! :P

Haiz we ended up with a Dunlopillo individual pocketed spring mattress with some pillow top as padding. We talked to the shop owner and realized it is not that spring is not good for our backs. We have after all been sleeping on a hand-me-down basic mattress and 一分钱,一分货! so we decided to give spring mattress another chance.

Actually it is more of the feel. We lied down on different mattresses that were within our budget and compared, tried lying down flat & sideways and with different pillows so yeah, took few hours to confirm.

My mummy doesn't like to buy from Courts! She actually feels like it's more expensive (er...I dunno if it's more of a feeling thing or she really did make comparisons). Anyway, we have been living in the west for 20-30 years, my mum always go to 400+/500+ markets in Jurong West for her electrical appliances. Recently, we changed one double socket and one 3-gang switch, supply & install was $45. Consider reasonable?

Actually your mom is right about Courts! Initially we wanted to buy all our electrical stuff & mattress from Courts cos of the installment plans. Then realized Courts mark up quite a bit and that's where they can offer such financial services. Depending on brands & models, think the mark-up can range 20-30%. So it makes sense to buy from those neighborhood electrical stores :)

I am terrible with electrical pricing but Mr E says your double socket & 3-gang switch (supply & installation) seems reasonable!

For tv price you may want to take reference from hardwarezone forum where the purchased price and other info will be posted.

YES this is a very good idea! Thanks :)

Actually your mom is right about Courts! Initially we wanted to buy all our electrical stuff & mattress from Courts cos of the installment plans. Then realized Courts mark up quite a bit and that's where they can offer such financial services. Depending on brands & models, think the mark-up can range 20-30%. So it makes sense to buy from those neighborhood electrical stores :)

I am terrible with electrical pricing but Mr E says your double socket & 3-gang switch (supply & installation) seems reasonable!

Yup! Can only say she has been a great supporter of SMEs in the JW markets. :D The electrician was from JW market as well, mum suggested to use them to rewire my new house too. Just that not sure if should get own electrician or let ID/contractor use their electrician. Think coordination wise, may be easier if they use their people...? Though one ID I met told me to get my own electrician cuz frankly speaking, we would be paying double commission to use their electrician...

Haiz we ended up with a Dunlopillo individual pocketed spring mattress with some pillow top as padding. We talked to the shop owner and realized it is not that spring is not good for our backs. We have after all been sleeping on a hand-me-down basic mattress and 一分钱,一分货! so we decided to give spring mattress another chance.

Actually it is more of the feel. We lied down on different mattresses that were within our budget and compared, tried lying down flat & sideways and with different pillows so yeah, took few hours to confirm.

Good luck! Should be fine bah since you two took the time to really try out the bed :) Shall visit cheap mattress centre for mine too!

• Like 1

Have been kinda busy at work (company undergoing rebranding), preparation for our ROM and renovation. Wish I have more hours daily to do more!

Renovation is so tiring, physically & mentally! Initially we have wanted to go to JB to hunt for stuff so never managed to find the time at all. And our craftbricks are still at our cousin's place so will have to find time to bring them back bit by bit.

Another cousin who got really enthusiastic with our renovation bought us this:

8607791271_a9442e0d52_n.jpg

Bakelite switches by Makanology, on Flickr

Trouble is, they are made in china and we are skeptical if they will be sturdy. We have 20 pcs and will keep some for our own use.