Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Thanks for that!

I am getting another licensed gas service worker to check it out.

I don't trust the current one who said there is no leak after all the wet works and demolitions were completed

Which is why the reno carried on smoothly after.

Nothing new installed in the area of the concealed gas pipes - which is worrying because he probably missed the leak the first time around.

Found this link about gas safety on the Singapore Energry Market Authority website

http://www.ema.gov.sg/page/30/id:62/#take_immediate_action

Didnt know that piped gas service work can only be carried out by licensed gas service worker!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Ya better to get a licensed gas service worker to check it out.

You might want to install a gas leak detector for peace of mind?? google for " gas leak detector singapore "

Edited by sarah833

hey macuser, I encourage you to post the links which you bought from and not satisfied with.

at least others may benefit here!

Hi,

It wouldn't be useful posting the links as the sellers get their products from the same few manufacturers, hence they're most prob of similar quality. Though most things are made in China nowadays, there will be QC conducted by the "brand owners" e.g ikea, and material used for the originals are also controlled.

In my personal opinion it's a "heng suey" thing if one intends to buy from taobao. There'll definitely be some risks involved as the cost is low. Or maybe we're the few unfortunate ones.

Edited by macuser77

Actually there are a lot of OEM manufacturers in China for the "same" item/product which is the reason why the quality is heterogenous.

It's a bit of a shame you're not willing to share... Sharing is caring!

Hi,

It wouldn't be useful posting the links as the sellers get their products from the same few manufacturers, hence they're most prob of similar quality. Though most things are made in China nowadays, there will be QC conducted by the "brand owners" e.g ikea, and material used for the originals are also controlled.

In my personal opinion it's a "heng suey" thing if one intends to buy from taobao. There'll definitely be some risks involved as the cost is low. Or maybe we're the few unfortunate ones.

Yesterday was browsing through boconcept and found these nice concrete looking panels they used

Super like! was thinking could be used on the bedroom wall behind the bedframe

Just my luck, it's not for sale but sales guy was kind enough to offer to help me find out from their head office

photo1_zpsc7b1af7c.jpg

Hey vanessa, thanks for checking in

I finally got the full story from my main con and am feeling quite frustrated (as he is I'll bet)

So after all the demolition works, the gas service worker did a check to ensure there were no leaks before we can proceed with the reno since the gas pipes are all concealed

He gave the OK - no leaks then

Now after everything is up - there is a leak?!

If I compare what was done then and now - only the kitchen cabinets, hood and kitchen false ceiling are new

Yet none of these areas have leaks detected.

Clearly something is amiss - I'll bet that he did not do a proper job in checking for gas leak the first time around.

Anyway got another gas service worker to come and check

Might be later today or tomorrow, who knows. But am going to make the time to be there.

Greg...any update on your leak?

Hey vanessa, thanks for checking in

I finally got the full story from my main con and am feeling quite frustrated (as he is I'll bet)

So after all the demolition works, the gas service worker did a check to ensure there were no leaks before we can proceed with the reno since the gas pipes are all concealed

He gave the OK - no leaks then

Now after everything is up - there is a leak?!

If I compare what was done then and now - only the kitchen cabinets, hood and kitchen false ceiling are new

Yet none of these areas have leaks detected.

Clearly something is amiss - I'll bet that he did not do a proper job in checking for gas leak the first time around.

Anyway got another gas service worker to come and check

Might be later today or tomorrow, who knows. But am going to make the time to be there.

Did you try calling up the first company? kick up a stinker...maybe they will come in and do a thorough check as service recovery?

on a separate note...saw these and thought of you...need another light? LOL

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.5.w4002-871681326.42.NiwZXa&id=23320368852

Heh there are caravaggio lamps :) It's nice but I feel it's more suited for scandinavian interiors

The problem is that the usual guy that my main con engages.. At this point, I don't think it's lack of effort to find the gas leak

My main concern is the level of competence. Anyway they've started to expose the gas pipe bit by bit to find the source....

Did you try calling up the first company? kick up a stinker...maybe they will come in and do a thorough check as service recovery?

on a separate note...saw these and thought of you...need another light? LOL

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.5.w4002-871681326.42.NiwZXa&id=23320368852

Heh there are caravaggio lamps :) It's nice but I feel it's more suited for scandinavian interiors

The problem is that the usual guy that my main con engages.. At this point, I don't think it's lack of effort to find the gas leak

My main concern is the level of competence. Anyway they've started to expose the gas pipe bit by bit to find the source....

They are so pretty! I wish i had space for them...doubt it would fit into my theme though...LOL

Do you have timeline how long it is going to take?

I will be very tempted to change lighting in my place given some time. Heh. It's an easy way to change the look of an interior quickly.

How long this is gonna take is up in the air. I'll be away travelling for most of the week and will want to be there when they check for leak. So prob can only get round to it when I return.

Thankfully in no rush to move in.

Are you on track to move in soon? It's next week or something!

They are so pretty! I wish i had space for them...doubt it would fit into my theme though...LOL

Do you have timeline how long it is going to take?

I will be very tempted to change lighting in my place given some time. Heh. It's an easy way to change the look of an interior quickly.

How long this is gonna take is up in the air. I'll be away travelling for most of the week and will want to be there when they check for leak. So prob can only get round to it when I return.

Thankfully in no rush to move in.

Are you on track to move in soon? It's next week or something!

Yea think it is best that you are around...so that you can make sure it is really solved...safety!

Carpentry installation has started today. posted on my blog...quite exciting seeing all the pieces being moved into the house...it also looks **** cramped now la! Don't know if I will be on schedule...i think so far so good...fingers crossed, think i will have a better picture middle of this week if i am on schedule. If all goes according to plan...the day we move in is the day granite counter tops will be installed...then all that is left is the glass backsplash.

I was just telling my partner...we are very lucky we have a roof over our heads...if we had to do this in three months...we would be DEAD. The stress level would have been through the roof!

Updates! All the appliances and a lot of the furniture is in.

Really liking the wood grains on the sofa. Provides a nice contrast with all the greys

photo1_zpsee28a681.jpg

photo2_zps15eb72d3.jpg

Bed. Coincidentally, the fabric used for the headboard is pretty much the same as the one used for the sofa. Glad I found this one. Was having a very difficult time finding a suitable one which occupied as little space as possible.

photo_zpsf9e947fc.jpg

And my plasma TV is in! Waiting to be mounted tomorrow. Hee

photo3_zps7dfcd8fc.jpg

Hi Greg,

I just received my first taobao purchase from oldskool this evening, very happy with the quality of the products! Thanks for sharing the links and the write ups on how to 淘宝 you did a while ago !

Made a very conservative purchase of a set of 30cm x 30cm canvas of iconic landmarks in a few cities , and a jamie oliver chopping board from Vanessa's taobao link :

10018891784_190cc385da.jpg
IMG-20130930-WA0002 by Sarahbj3b, on Flickr

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.3.SHxvKB&id=17416438308

Edited by sarah833