Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
SuperMama

Going "scandi" On Budget

Hi supermama!

Lots of ppl seem to be using tabao and I went to the site to check stuff out. How did you search for items though?! My chinese really not very good so reading was impossible and google translate didn't really make sense sometimes.

Also, how did you know which tracks/LED lights to buy for your house? Did your ID tell you what length and type you needed? I'm worried about technicalities and getting the wrong ones that won't fit each other etc.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi...

Congrats on almost completing the reno to ur hse...

Would love to get the details of your ID as well as a copy of ur reno quotation too...?

TIA...

• Like 1

Hi supermama!

Lots of ppl seem to be using tabao and I went to the site to check stuff out. How did you search for items though?! My chinese really not very good so reading was impossible and google translate didn't really make sense sometimes.

Also, how did you know which tracks/LED lights to buy for your house? Did your ID tell you what length and type you needed? I'm worried about technicalities and getting the wrong ones that won't fit each other etc.

Hi Dwinsplace!

I researched a lot! My ID told me what type to buy and length of tracks. Then I read through RT and saw many bought from TB too. My Chinese is PTE LTD too so I pretty much relied on SG reviews. Someone shared the link and I ordered from the same seller so that made me more assured. True enough, quality is good.

Your ID has to be familiar with track lights though. The sellers usually sell the tracks and connecters as well. Otherwise, just bring the track light and pop by any lighting shop to find a suitable track. I missed out 3m tracks and got from Jln Besar. No worries!

However, it would be recommended to buy the track light with LED MR16 holder. If anything goes wrong, just change the MR16 lamp. For the ones I bought I have to replace the entire tracklight so I bought 50% spares.

Good luck!!

My family uses KDK too and I've had the wobble also. But it's been 10 years and it's still spinning happily! So no worries Supermama!

Thank you for reassuring me! It's pretty powerful I must say.

Hi Supermama everything is looking good your kdk fan at the living room slightly wobble is OK but only thing is during the quite night do make any (windy) sound create by the blade.

Edited by tarzanboy

Pending to buy (Shortlisted) - besides the bed frame...

STUDY ROOM

Desk - Solid Beech table topgerton-oddvald-table__0101976_PE246194_S

$99 chair from Stair Living to match CR4001BK_newsletter_image.jpg

Some EXPEDIT shelves... haven't decide on the configuration as I am thinking of squeezing in a daybed or sofa bed in the study.

expedit-bookcase__0092707_PE229406_S4.JP

expedit-shelving-unit__0092710_PE229408_

Any suggestions for a table lamp??? So tempted to see TB again............ :notti: but my Peeka order is already in transit to SG! Wee.

May i know, where can i purchase the desk??

Hi Dwinsplace!

I researched a lot! My ID told me what type to buy and length of tracks. Then I read through RT and saw many bought from TB too. My Chinese is PTE LTD too so I pretty much relied on SG reviews. Someone shared the link and I ordered from the same seller so that made me more assured. True enough, quality is good.

Your ID has to be familiar with track lights though. The sellers usually sell the tracks and connecters as well. Otherwise, just bring the track light and pop by any lighting shop to find a suitable track. I missed out 3m tracks and got from Jln Besar. No worries!

However, it would be recommended to buy the track light with LED MR16 holder. If anything goes wrong, just change the MR16 lamp. For the ones I bought I have to replace the entire tracklight so I bought 50% spares.

Good luck!!

Ah that means that the tracks are generally interchangeable? Just cheaper from china! Yeah the only way i can think of is to get the same as the RT users too! But I like to research so feel a bit handicapped. haha.

Thanks for the advice on the MR16. I definitely want LED lights cos it's more energy efficient. Is your light colour warm? Or are LEDs just LEDs without colour?

Hi Dwinsplace!

Good luck!!

can you pass me the link of your track lights? Inspired by your reno and wanna do something like yours =p. post here or pm me =)

Seems like your house is going full speed in reno. Good to hear Gil is a responsive person to work with!

So far, he delivers what he promises and fixed all issues to make sure I say ok. hahaha. Have you contacted him? He told me he's flooded with enquiries recently and went back to office last night to work. OOPS. *Hides*

May i know, where can i purchase the desk??

Ikea and it's $299 for SOLID WOOD!! But I think it is OOS! Procurement dept in Ikea is SLEEPING!!! Here you go. Can try buying the table top and legs separately. i am going to do just that. http://www.ikea.com/sg/en/catalog/products/S09870933/

Ah that means that the tracks are generally interchangeable? Just cheaper from china! Yeah the only way i can think of is to get the same as the RT users too! But I like to research so feel a bit handicapped. haha.

Thanks for the advice on the MR16. I definitely want LED lights cos it's more energy efficient. Is your light colour warm? Or are LEDs just LEDs without colour?

Yup, it's DIRT CHEAP from China. I paid a few bucks for the tracks and when I had to purchase 3m track (because it is nicer) from Jln Besar, my heart dropped when we were quoted $42 each. And it's 3m so they had to deliver for us. Another $45. Ouch. Overall I saved A LOT so ok la.. hahah consoling myself. :bleah:

The light is warm white, they come in daylight too but will not have that coziness feel.

Again, consider MR16 LEDs, more expensive but better option.

can you pass me the link of your track lights? Inspired by your reno and wanna do something like yours =p. post here or pm me =)

Info on Page 1 actually. here you go!

LED Tracklights (bought 7W white ones with warm light)

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.62.2bW0O4&id=17499602429

Edited by SuperMama

Supermama,

Sadly to say my house will only be ready ard Q3-Q4 2014. Not too sure if it is a gd idea to look for Gil so soon. Maybe in Jul to Aug'14 ba.

Cross finger that HDB will give me fast enough. Franc Franc is closing in May thus I will be there to scout for some item first.

Have to learn how to use taobao soon for more savings.

• Like 1

http://www.ikea.com/sg/en/catalog/products/S39016284/#/S59001984

this one also quite cool.

the problem is how to hide the wirings :S

Don't think Ikea at Tampines have stock for that. May have to go to Alexandra

Nice and it's cheap! But I have issues with white table top. I still want solid wood. Boohoo. If no choice, I will get this. Thanks!

Alternatively, thinking of getting this with the same trestles... just dunno how to place it in the study room. Nice or not? I feel it's a bit weird?

http://www.ikea.com/sg/en/catalog/products/50162245/

gerton-table-top__35723_PE126614_S4.jpg

oddvald-trestle__75832_PE194732_S4.jpg