Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
LHWH

Finally! A Place To Call Our House

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

xfnq.jpg

Pic 27: kitchen sinkztluk.jpg

Pic 28: tap to go along with kitchen sink

I got the same sink. How much u pay for the sink? Going to under mount?

Question! Our main door is a fire door with the auto close mechanism. It's really horrible and I always need to step on a ledge to lick the door. Imagine coming home with groceries and having to do this plus have a dog running out. My contractor says this is hdb door and to change to another fire door is very expensive but he does not know the price.... Anyone can advise?

Also I know some doors if you push hard enough it will lock itself and not close... Either we change the whole door or we change that mechanism. Has anyone done it?

Question! Our main door is a fire door with the auto close mechanism. It's really horrible and I always need to step on a ledge to lick the door. Imagine coming home with groceries and having to do this plus have a dog running out. My contractor says this is hdb door and to change to another fire door is very expensive but he does not know the price.... Anyone can advise?

Also I know some doors if you push hard enough it will lock itself and not close... Either we change the whole door or we change that mechanism. Has anyone done it?

There some other mechanisms that can serve your needs. Such as the magnet type but you need to drill on the wall.

And also to remove the existing one (or you can keep it). Not sure about the cost.

Else you can simply remove the auto close mechanism.

Changing the door is not a feasible option.

Fire rated 2 ply door (one big one small) is average 1.5K. Can be cheaper if you look around hard enough.

Lastly, the few dollars option is to get a rubber wedge but watch it, the dog may starting chewing it.

My fire rated door was originally closing at a really fast pace, to the point that it slams into the smaller side door. That was my main issue with it. By trial and error, I managed to adjust the settings in the small box where the door mechanism is anchored to. It now closes at a much slower pace and also has a dampening effect as it is about to close. This gives me more than sufficient time to get my stuff in without having to worry about the door. Of course, I do have a manual door stopper to shove under if required but rarely used. You could try to adjust the closing rate like I did else just request your contractor to install a magnetic door stopper for you. Should be an easy job for him.

Thanks all for your help.

Now a new issue, our contractor showed us a quote the final one on Saturday and in the quote it was not mentioned this L shape cupboard we wanted to put in. He verbally told us the cost of that is 1k and if we are on buget we should not include it, we can do this later when we have the money. So we told him to tell the carpenter we will not be doing that L shape cupboard.

Today he asked us to give him 50% of payment so by now it will be 80% paid to him and so far only tiles and carpentry are underway. And he said the carpenter has ordered the stuff for that L shape cupboard so we have to pay? Is this correct at all?

We already said no, and it was not in the quote and he advised us not to do it and now he said we last min change stuff he don't know how to do things? I don't think this is good attitude and we are like being coerced.

And he keeps insisting on the 50% payment. And unwilling to commit to completion date , just vaguely saying it is by August. We want it done by 28th July.

Edited by LHWH

For the L shaped cupboard had your contractor show u and confirm the layout? If not just insist you do not want it.

What is your payment term? Usually 80% is when carpentry is starting to be install at ur home already

hi tommy, the contractor didn't show me or confirm layout I was the one who drew it to him as an idea and Saturday he told me that idea would cost me 1k so I said no lets cancel.

Yes carpenter is inside the house now and he has completed the WIW. but electrical work and paint is not done. So you think its okay to pay 80% now? Usually when will the last payment be? After rectification?

Edited by LHWH

My payment term is

10% confirmation of this contract -

40% commencement of work -

40% Upon load up of carpentry work -

10% within 7 days after completion of work -

Usually once carpentry start will have to pay abt 80-90% of the total depending on the quotation and how you negotiate the payment. How much is your total figure? Mine is a 5-room resale too, had yet to get the keys. Your quotation seems to be very cheap, mine come up to 49K without WIW, plumbing and electrician. Selected my ID as i seen his work and the workmanship is good and he got very good designs.

Hi Binzz

Good to know that his demands are reasonable. We shall proceed with the 50% then. To be honest, I don't see which part of my house is worth 38k ( total cost of renovation) we already did away with many stuff like feature wall in room and top shelves in kitchen. The cost of carpentry is just too high! I have to change the bars and handles of the windows, hack down a wall, do tiling work for kitchen, 2 X toilet . 38k does not include our vinyl flooring and air con- which cost another 6k in total. We spent another 2k on taobao for lights and dressing table and small knick knacks and 5 k on electrical stuff like washing machine , tv, soundbar etc. Our basin and toilet stuff was another 1.5k.

You know when he first meet us without the study table addition he quoted us SGD27k I was over the moon! Now it has become 38k! :dunno::deal:

Money just keeps flying and it's so unsettling that he keeps increasing the amount. I just want this to be over and completed so I can be done with the one issue and just truly enjoy our house.

Definitely will need to add on more stuff, but that's for next year's budget :)

Edited by LHWH

That is the "catch" of doing renovation, especially if one cannot stick to the plan or knowing what you want.

The frequent changing and adding is not going to help either, it will simply complicate the so call sign contract with many grey areas.

Likewise, I dont know what is my final cost but then I do have an estimated amount given to me.

End of the day, just base on the quoted for the variations.

For payment wise, there is no hard and fast rule even contract is signed.

If one is comfortable to pay 50% then do it, else bring it up and settle for 40% and agree for balance later.

Dont worry, be it 40% or 50%, IDs and contractors are more then willing to take the cheque.

mine 6mm tempered glass with spray coating on 1 side cost $560 (2.75m x 0.65m) about $2.92 psf

mine kitchen cabinet is $120 per foor run

for carpentry can roughly compare price here http://www.carpentry.sg/pricing

Mine is only $400 after haggling my ID :good:

LHWH - Can you please PM me your contractor' name/ company