Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
LHWH

Finally! A Place To Call Our House

Hi Binzz,

Our resale flat is 10 years old and previously the house was already on exposed piping so HDB licensed contractors have to keep it that way, in case of pipe burst or leaks it is easier to fix (without hacking). When we complained our contractor just sent us the link on HDB website stating why this is so...you better check with your contractor and confirm everything. Ours just happened and the pity is now we have a nice toilet but exposed pipes- which we will be painting white. I think you need to get your contractor to tell you how these pipes are run so you can visualise, for us we overlooked this and thus the shocker. Too late to complain now work is done. He is fixing the wall bracket today to cover that copper part behind the tap but basically, we have to live with that exposed tap :(

Hi Eastlovin

That lovely dog of ours is a Corgi...she is my wife's best purchase (according to the wife, corgi gets more praises than her branded bags). I was never a furry animal lover but even this dog has wiggled herself into my heart. :sport-smiley-018:

Edited by LHWH

• Like 1

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

LHWH, yes, I will do that. The resale flat that we bought is 15 years old, waiting for my ID to revert back. I will note down and speak to the plumber before we start work. At this moment, i am lurking around still, no action as we will only get our keys end July. :)

Looking forward to the rest of your carpentary, I am sure all will be good, since the carpenter is experienced and from him stopping work and wait for the electrician to complete his job, he should be a man who values his workmanship.

• Like 1

Hi. For the fan wiring, since it is short length, ask your contractor to help conceal by 'digging' into the ceiling a bit to lay the wire? Thereafter, just plaster and paint over.

Hi Sapporo, you can start reno if seller has already vacated the house and then just sign an indemnity form from hdb that you are renovating before the 2nd appointment ...this means if anything cock up you take responsibility and the sellers are not responsible.

Thank you LHWH. Hope everything is going well for you!

LHWH- is it not possible for your contractor to change that one cracked tile for you? If not, thankfully it's at a corner and should not be too noticeable!

Hi just to share in picture what I meant. My electrician just did this today to conceal some tv cables and wiring for my fans. He has to dig into the wall. The pic on the cable is not completed yet. Maybe u can try to ask your contractor.

468C4E61-6586-4CA6-B7E3-B775A32A00EE.jpg

0E567310-4E92-4E6E-B3BA-C196A6AA3A4C.jpg

Hi Rose, Thanks for the Pics!

I showed my contractor and alas, he said ours is resale, cannot dig into HDB wall and conceal trunking ( similar to the pipes), he did say that our bedroom table lamps wiring was concealed behind by his partition board so it is what it is.

Feeling a bit scared now since we chose a very strong color for our kitchen wall- lakemont blue ( dulux) and yesterday's spotcheck showed that the paint is very sea blue-ish rather than navy. Another annoying thing is the carpenter lost our paper with laminate selection for kitchen cabinets and we have t choose again this weekend, so funny rightchasing payment and yet after a month he tells us no more laminate. Jokers.

Anyway, our house should be ready by August first week. really looking forward :)

LHWH, old hdb doesnt allow concealment of wiring, water and gas pipes. i was very disappointed when i 1st know abt this after i got my unit. to self console, i keep telling myself that i will get use to it. but for ur mixer connector, i think there should have a nicer connector, without seeing the copper part, everything stainless steel.

No prob, since we happen to be doing the same thing at the same time.

Anyway back to my current 20 yo flat. We are quite used to seeing such trunking and piping too. Long accepted it is part of the look. All the best with the Reno, I also hope to complete in Aug.

I think you should speak to your ID/contractor on replacing that tile (Which is doable I feel)

If really cannot, you got to use white plaste / silicon to cover it and smooth it out evenly.

LHWH- is it not possible for your contractor to change that one cracked tile for you? If not, thankfully it's at a corner and should not be too noticeable!

Hi eastlovin, we asked him about it and he said to replace the tile is impossible since it's cracked he can plaster and paint over. Will post pictures after he does this.

n4fi.jpg

Pic 40: Plumbing job damaged the tiles and contractor has no solutions. Any idea how to fixed this?

No solution? Simply just replace the tile then. Unless of course that is an old tile which cannot be found anymore.

Mine was chipped due to drilling. My ID is replacing for me.

IMG-20140710-WA0012.jpg

Hi Rose, Thanks for the Pics!

I showed my contractor and alas, he said ours is resale, cannot dig into HDB wall and conceal trunking ( similar to the pipes), he did say that our bedroom table lamps wiring was concealed behind by his partition board so it is what it is.

Feeling a bit scared now since we chose a very strong color for our kitchen wall- lakemont blue ( dulux) and yesterday's spotcheck showed that the paint is very sea blue-ish rather than navy. Another annoying thing is the carpenter lost our paper with laminate selection for kitchen cabinets and we have t choose again this weekend, so funny rightchasing payment and yet after a month he tells us no more laminate. Jokers.

Anyway, our house should be ready by August first week. really looking forward :)

Don't worry about the paint! The color might "darken" after a month or so...

Initially, my living room color looks very "bright" but after a month of "settling" in, the color has dimmed down a lot.

Give it some time before contemplating to change the color.

Anyway, you will be placing fridge and other furniture in the kitchen and my guess is that, you won't be seeing a lot of the "blue" once your furniture/appliances are in! :)

Edited by Troublemaker

Piping cannot be conceal, I agreed but wiring cannot be concealed.......seriously I doubt so. Regardless of BTO or resale.

It is just a matter of want or dont want to do. Concealing involves simple drilling, patching and painting.

Kinda much more work compare to trunking. I guess someone took the easy way out here in your case.