Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mintyvintage

Raw Means Refined - Scandinavian Industrial

I think your kitchen glass is my favourite bit. Love the frames. Also the breakfast counter with the stools inside the kitchen. :)

for your fruit fly issue. I found this online

Prevention
  • Fruit flies can be a real nuisance to remove once they have already infested your refrigerator and kitchen. It is important to do what you can to prevent the fruit flies from entering your home in the first place. Check the insulating stripping on your refrigerator. Wear and gaps in this stripping can be an easy entrance point for these pests, so repair or replace as needed. Store all fresh or cooked food in sealed containers to keep fruit flies from getting into the food. Check for water leaks from the fridge that could be attracting more flies.

Removal
  • If you already have fruit flies, llocate the food source for the fruit flies and remove it immediately. For example, if you find a rotten banana in the back of the crisper drawer, this is likely drawing them inside. Dispose of the banana, then clean the crisper drawer and surrounding area with hot water and disinfectant soap. Dry out any areas where excess moisture collects, as this can attract more fruit flies. Keep checking your fridge for more signs of fruit flies. If no more bugs appear within two weeks, it's likely you removed all of them.

• Sponsored Links

Tips
  • To keep fruit flies out of your fridge, keep some things in mind. For example, never let fresh produce rot on the counter or even in your refrigerator. Use produce as quickly as possible and dispose of any overripe fruit or vegetables in an outdoor receptacle such as a trash can or compost heap. Keep these outdoor receptacles as far away from your home as possible to deter bugs from entering your home in search of more food. Before storing food in your fridge, cover in foil or plastic wrap to create a barrier against fruit flies and other insects.

Warning
  • Fruit flies can lay hundreds of eggs at a time, according to the University of Kentucky, making treating them a difficult task. After the egg is laid, it only takes about a week for the new fly to hatch. If you have a fruit fly infestation, continue to treat the affected and surrounding areas regularly until there are no signs of the insects for at least two weeks.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/info_8275531_fruit-flies-fridge.html

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Great to know that the sound proofing is acceptable between MBR and bedroom 2! My husband's drum set is electric drums, so noise level is not as high compared to a proper drum set, most likely just hear 'ta ta ta ta ta' across the room if he is jamming to rock music. Hahahaa

Thanks for sharing on your lighting as well! Eased our worries on the LR brightness if we use track lights. :)

How is the carpentry workmanship? Any issues or major hiccups during the reno? Asking a bit more because we shortlisted the same ID company but with another designer. From your pictures, looks like they have done a great job and your choice of furniture really bring out the overall ambience of the house! :) :)

@millymuddles - thank you! =) my aircon ledge is actually linked to service yard, so the window at my MBR is purely for ventilation i guess (or whatever brilliant idea that hdb thought of). hahaha.

i supposed your CR refers to bedroom2? there is not much sound proofing difference between it being a wall vs it being a wardrobe in my opinion. if i shout across with both rooms' doors closed, it will be muffled but can still be heard. if the CR is drums room, then definitely you can hear it being played in the MBR, afterall drums are quite loud! haha.

for Living room, we have 2 track lights, one that runs across the long side with 5 bulbs, and a shorter one that runs across the shorter wall (sofa side) with 2 bulbs. usually we only switch on either one and it is bright enough for our comfort. of course the light source won't be centralised.

I like your MBR toilet...how much does it cost to make the wooden frame around the mirror?

PM-ed you.

May I know where did you get the containers for the condiments and jars for the pasta/garlic?

TIA!

The condiment bottles are from Yellow Zest (a kitchenware shop in Holland V Chip Bee Gardens)

the jars are from taobao.

Hi can I find out if there is a gap for the spoon and the cover for the sugar holder? Im thinking of getting the same one but it looks like there is a gap and ants will slip in.

Thanks for sharing!

oh, great point you raised as that never crossed my mind. i checked and there is indeed a small hole ard the spoon. we havent had any ants issue but just to play safe i have used some baking paper to line the top of the jar before closing it. might transfer the sugar to another jar if i notice any ants. for salt & pepper i guess its fine.

Would you give a review of your ariafina hood?

Not to pour cold water on you but the following is kstoh's review on their hood:

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/44531-fujioh-ariafina-betta-bt-900-cooker-hood/

hi! i have read this before.. some bits were abit technical for me, but anyway the review is of a different model (the one we have is FDS-900R). and i guess he is upset because of the misrepresentation given by the salesman.

so far based on personal consumption, the hood has served us well. we have been cooking every week since moving in, ranging from simple maggi mee, or pasta, frying eggs, frying noodles, and bacon. we dont have the problem of oily floor / tiles. the cooking smell is also limited to within the kitchen as long as i close my kitchen and service yard door, so i assume that the hood is working well. haha. if im cooking things like sambal chilli or something then maybe this might not be the best? i guess ultimately it is about individual's user experience.

here's the specs of the model i bought (found it online - i didnt buy it from here)

http://www.unitedfusion.com/products-kitchen-hood-ariafina-fds900r.php

i certainly hope this hood will last us a longgggg time!

I think your kitchen glass is my favourite bit. Love the frames. Also the breakfast counter with the stools inside the kitchen. :)

for your fruit fly issue. I found this online

Prevention
  • Fruit flies can be a real nuisance to remove once they have already infested your refrigerator and kitchen. It is important to do what you can to prevent the fruit flies from entering your home in the first place. Check the insulating stripping on your refrigerator. Wear and gaps in this stripping can be an easy entrance point for these pests, so repair or replace as needed. Store all fresh or cooked food in sealed containers to keep fruit flies from getting into the food. Check for water leaks from the fridge that could be attracting more flies.

Removal
  • If you already have fruit flies, llocate the food source for the fruit flies and remove it immediately. For example, if you find a rotten banana in the back of the crisper drawer, this is likely drawing them inside. Dispose of the banana, then clean the crisper drawer and surrounding area with hot water and disinfectant soap. Dry out any areas where excess moisture collects, as this can attract more fruit flies. Keep checking your fridge for more signs of fruit flies. If no more bugs appear within two weeks, it's likely you removed all of them.

• Sponsored Links

Tips
  • To keep fruit flies out of your fridge, keep some things in mind. For example, never let fresh produce rot on the counter or even in your refrigerator. Use produce as quickly as possible and dispose of any overripe fruit or vegetables in an outdoor receptacle such as a trash can or compost heap. Keep these outdoor receptacles as far away from your home as possible to deter bugs from entering your home in search of more food. Before storing food in your fridge, cover in foil or plastic wrap to create a barrier against fruit flies and other insects.

Warning
  • Fruit flies can lay hundreds of eggs at a time, according to the University of Kentucky, making treating them a difficult task. After the egg is laid, it only takes about a week for the new fly to hatch. If you have a fruit fly infestation, continue to treat the affected and surrounding areas regularly until there are no signs of the insects for at least two weeks.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/info_8275531_fruit-flies-fridge.html

thanks for the info! we saw this article as well and went on this manic to remove the fruits and veg that might be the cause. so far we have noticed that there are still stray flies (1-2 ard the fridge and freezer). we will be monitoring the situation and hopefully they will be gone forever. Else will have to call the fridge guys to check if there is any leak or or gaps.

i also saw someone suggest that a glass of red wine will attract them to all congreate and then we can get rid of them (might try with some white wine since i dont have red). haha.

am excited to see ur 'dungeon' studyroom forming. the muddy purple really was not very nice. i like the repainted color!

• Like 1

Great to know that the sound proofing is acceptable between MBR and bedroom 2! My husband's drum set is electric drums, so noise level is not as high compared to a proper drum set, most likely just hear 'ta ta ta ta ta' across the room if he is jamming to rock music. Hahahaa

Thanks for sharing on your lighting as well! Eased our worries on the LR brightness if we use track lights. :)

How is the carpentry workmanship? Any issues or major hiccups during the reno? Asking a bit more because we shortlisted the same ID company but with another designer. From your pictures, looks like they have done a great job and your choice of furniture really bring out the overall ambience of the house! :) :)

no problem! i must say hdb walls are quite thin. sometimes i hear sounds of my neighbours above dragging their furniture or something. haha! the sound of the water pipes can be quite annoying too, when there is a gush of water running thru.

we are quite satisfied with the ID's carpentry actually. that was least of our concerns as they have their own in-house carpenters and everything was done so quickly. haha. so far everything works well. if i might advise, it would be to opt for soft closing for the kitchen cabinets. the pi-piang sound doesnt resonate well with me now. i bought this round plastic sticker bit to stick at the corners to soften the slamming sound.

infact our reno finished within 5 weeks, pretty fast! ;)

Will i recommend my ID?

Overall we are satisfied with his work. the reno itself was 90% smooth with no major hiccups. he met our expectations in terms of how the design turned out (did not exceed expectations but i put it down to not enough budget from us), and most importantly, he worked very well within our budget. he managed to provide all the things we had requested for (ie. platform bed, built in cabinets, overlay toilets, etc) and at the same time squeezed in the cast iron door and half wall at the kitchen (which we only asked for a simple glass door). as such we felt like our budget was well utilised and our house feels pretty complete.

We believe he is someone who is not just talk-only, no action. in many areas he has helped us to resolve problems quietly, pushed for better solutions and sometimes suggesting things that might eat into his profit-margin (Such as extra tiling for the MBR toilet box-up, lowering the box-up to hide the aircon trunks etc).

Perhaps because he is young, he still has the drive and passion for desogn, unlike some older IDs who sometimes give textbook style templates. and it is easier for us to communicate as well. if we complain about certain things not being done on time or properly during the reno process, he will call us immediately to resolve. we even whatsapp him in the late night and he will still respond frequently.

he also helped us with things outside his main scope, like intro and liaise with electrician, aircon man, curtains vendor etc. sometimes accompanying us to choose furniture, lights and sanitaryware. and we are thankful that he is often on-site to ensure that his workers follow the design accurately.

of course there were times when we were upset and angry, when he didnt manage our expectations well, and sometimes installation was delayed here and there. but we see these as part & parcel of reno process. afterall it can't be all smooth.

We leave it to you whether you are interested to use this ID or not, as different people could have different experience with him, depending on your brief and the suitability of his ideas.

We are happy with our choice, and that's really lucky for us!

=)

• Like 1

mintyvintage, how much is ur dining table? dimension? all the chairs from 2nd charm?

hi mummychua, the table cost $1200. 150 L x 80 D x 76 H - measurements in CM

i think if its 200 L it will be ard $1500.

the 'dirty' metal chairs (Orange and turquoise) are fr second charm. the other 2 from taobao

yes the lumio was abit pricey, and its for more fun than practical but too cute to resist. :D

ahhaha good point on the shoe cabinet, thats because we have more ladies' shoes than men's shoes. so my husband's shoes are stored in the higher cabinets (where he can reach and i can't), and i take up all the lower ones. we also have space below the show cabinet for a rug to place his daily work shoes. largely the shoe cabinet was built for me!!

thanks =) thats not all the shoes being featured oops.

i dn think our house is super magazine worthy but if someone approaches us, why not? :P

can get some copies and put in my magazine rack haha!

hello, it is from taobao.

Nice house you have there! Can you share the link for the ladder from taobao?

If i could do it again..... (or for future house! :P)

i want to do what i term as 'contemporary country' design, with shades of white, black, some wood, some blues.

not too french, not too rustic or vintage. etc

think we will need a balcony.

3_img.jpg

e528e36c256532ef5d197ebad27197a2.jpg

a1e5feea278882cffda07804173d8872.jpg

28ae094073ba70dca017082eac43ceeb.jpg

CF019808_TIF-19808-225x300.jpg

2_Bathroom-Contemporary-Country-Narrativ

something like these will be nice =)

Edited by mintyvintage

If i could do it again..... (or for future house! :P)

i want to do what i term as 'contemporary country' design, with shades of white, black, some wood, some blues.

not too french, not too rustic or vintage. etc

think we will need a balcony.

3_img.jpg

e528e36c256532ef5d197ebad27197a2.jpg

a1e5feea278882cffda07804173d8872.jpg

28ae094073ba70dca017082eac43ceeb.jpg

CF019808_TIF-19808-225x300.jpg

2_Bathroom-Contemporary-Country-Narrativ

something like these will be nice =)

Hahaha! I think someone is addicted to home reno.... so fast thinking of the next house? Lol. Do what my friend did! During housewarmings, ask everyone who says your house is beautiful if they want to buy it off you.

And your photos didn't load.