Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi all,

My bto is very near to completion (ard end dec).

Am in the middle of selecting IDs for my reno.

Would like to check what's the quotation like for those who had done their reno. Please help to advice on the items below. Thanks a lot.. :)

1) Cement screed flooring (bedrm + living)

2) 6ft wardrobe

3) 9ft kitchen bottom cabinet

Sample floorplan layout

Screenshot_20171031-143033.jpg.4c9bb87234be5f234f5462e77db36599.jpg

3d rendering of kitchen cabinet

20171031_143217.png.9a0118d45ee8bc9555883db9c0cc6ea1.png

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hello Ankle! long time no see! :D

1) Cement screed flooring (bedrm + living) - FOC from HDB

2) 6ft wardrobe - $230/ft with soft closing casement door and internal polygon (note: sliding door will be slightly more expensive)

3) 9ft kitchen bottom cabinet - not sure cos mine is packaged

Hi mm,

It's been a while! :D

How's the quality of cement screed fron hdb?

Coz some of the ids had advice me not to appeal for hdb screed because of quality and thickness. But the quotation they gave me was ranged between 1.3k to 3k... so wanted to get some feedback first before making a decision. :huh:

For 2 rooms bto cement screed bedroom & living room my con charge me $1.2k. ID will charge more. I did not let HDB do cos heard many complained about poor quality.

1 hour ago, Ankle said:

Hi mm,

It's been a while! :D

How's the quality of cement screed fron hdb?

Coz some of the ids had advice me not to appeal for hdb screed because of quality and thickness. But the quotation they gave me was ranged between 1.3k to 3k... so wanted to get some feedback first before making a decision. :huh:

I got no one to compare with but I think it is definitely not as good as the contractor u engaged. As for topping up, Mine was just nice and top up is not necessary. But I think the quality is ok, of cos there are certain corners where after laying the vinyl, u can feel some hollowness when u knock on the vinyl but it does not affect my daily life. FOC so I cant complain. 

8 minutes ago, coolbunny said:

For 2 rooms bto cement screed bedroom & living room my con charge me $1.2k. ID will charge more. I did not let HDB do cos heard many complained about poor quality.

And also the waiting time can be very long. I waited for 6 weeks before checking with them (cos I was not hurry to reno). They took about another week to schedule the work.

14 hours ago, Ankle said:

Hi all,

My bto is very near to completion (ard end dec).

Am in the middle of selecting IDs for my reno.

Would like to check what's the quotation like for those who had done their reno. Please help to advice on the items below. Thanks a lot.. :)

1) Cement screed flooring (bedrm + living)

2) 6ft wardrobe

3) 9ft kitchen bottom cabinet

Sample floorplan layout

Screenshot_20171031-143033.jpg.4c9bb87234be5f234f5462e77db36599.jpg

3d rendering of kitchen cabinet

20171031_143217.png.9a0118d45ee8bc9555883db9c0cc6ea1.png

Ah....ID selection. I find this part one of the more draining parts in Renovation.
Its like going for job interview, only you are the boss and you are selecting who to do your project :D

As for renovation costs itself, i am currently still doing my renovation. (its about to end soon tho)
Quotation on paper was 25k. During renovation add about 5k+ more for extra stuffs like Haulage, Electrical, etc.
For me just renovation only, not counting furniture or electrical appliances comes up to about 30k+ in reality.
Personally I feel my renovation is very expensive considering mine is only a 35sqm.

btw nice 3D pics! Are u using Planner 5D too?
Do you have the link for us to do a 3D virtual tour?

Also, i noticed you don't have a dining table?
Also, do take note if HDB provided you a Proposed Layout, because that is very important
as it will show where you can put your sink, toiletbowl, etc etc.

If you are able to plan your renovation around HDB's proposed layout (eg: ToiletBowl, Sink etc),
you wouldn't have much issue needing to do repiping and such.

Edited by ryanyth

6 hours ago, vinzho said:

Hihi . 

May I know what is Cement screed flooring

Thank you

Cement screed is a layer of cement laid down on floor before tiles / parquet can be laid.

For people who never opt to get hdb do the tiling, the floor will be bare concrete. And thus cement screed will need to be done if u need to lay tiles or parquet wood on them.
It used to be that cement screed done by hdb for free. However as of now this service is no longer available unless you appeal for it. (At least for my estate)

Some people rather not let hdb do because sometimes hdb standard of cement screeding is not very even compared to outside contractor,
but of course will cost alot more. Something like upwards of $1k+ like what they described.

If u opted for hdb flooring and components, than this cement screed is not applicable for u since everything is already done by hdb.

Edited by ryanyth

17 hours ago, coolbunny said:

Hi Bunny,

Sorry too many bunnies, i've lost track of who's who... :wacko:

Thanks for the feedback. Definitely help in my decision making. :)

17 hours ago, mmoh said:

I got no one to compare with but I think it is definitely not as good as the contractor u engaged. As for topping up, Mine was just nice and top up is not necessary. But I think the quality is ok, of cos there are certain corners where after laying the vinyl, u can feel some hollowness when u knock on the vinyl but it does not affect my daily life. FOC so I cant complain. 

And also the waiting time can be very long. I waited for 6 weeks before checking with them (cos I was not hurry to reno). They took about another week to schedule the work.

Icic... one of the ids told me sometimes hdb cement screed is not flat and it could be patch. But however, if they do that, it'll caused some bubbles in between and eventually the floor will crack after some yrs. Not sure whether this is true or my id is just trying to scare me into engaging their service. :blink:

17 hours ago, ryanyth said:

Hey nice 3D pics!
Are u using Planner 5D too?
Do you have the link for us to do a 3D virtual tour?

Also, i noticed you don't have a dining table?
Also, do take note if HDB provided you a Proposed Layout, because that is very important
as it will show where you can put your sink, toiletbowl, etc etc.

If you are able to plan your renovation around HDB's proposed layout (eg: ToiletBowl, Sink etc),
you wouldn't have much issue needing to do repiping and such.

Hi ryan,

Yes, am using planner 5d! Didn't aware the app can do virtual tour of 3d plan. Here's the link

https://planner5d.com/view?key=952b7624e2e193d5ae0190640b250473

The L-shape table would be my dining + work area. And the armchair as well. I like to eat while watching tv. :D

But since i couldn't find any L-shape table that fits the required measurement, i'll have to custom made. 

I'll have to do some re-piping in bathroom area coz the sink is nearer to kitchen and shower fixture is opp toilet bowl in the orginal hdb proposed layout. I would preferred moving the shower area nearer to kitchen even if i could not do wet/dry.

Also, i've requested to patch the bedrm entrance and both bathroom entrances to narrow down the width from original 1m to 80cm. Coz i've wanted to create more wall space to fit in 6ft wardrobe and piano + shoes cabinet. 

Also, am going to cement screed some part of the kitchen wall as proposed by one of my ids to create raw industrial look. 

As you can see, due to the amt of carpentry and works, some of my ids quoted me very high. The total amt of quotation ranged from 20k to 35k excluding electric works. So wanted to do some research on the market price first before comitting to an id. 

Forgot to add,

As for flooring, am intending to go for evorich herf but the ids gave diff price range from 1.7k to 3.1k. So i've contacted evorich directly and requested for a quotation. Will be heading down to their showroom directly to discuss further.

Edited by Ankle

2 hours ago, Ankle said:

Icic... one of the ids told me sometimes hdb cement screed is not flat and it could be patch. But however, if they do that, it'll caused some bubbles in between and eventually the floor will crack after some yrs. Not sure whether this is true or my id is just trying to scare me into engaging their service. :blink:

hmm... guess u will be laying vinyl? Not sure about parquet / wood, but for vinyl, it is rubber and bendable. my vinyl contractor said after few months, the vinyl will bend slightly in accordance to the cement surface, but then I still can feel the hollowness in certain corners after 1 year.

1 hour ago, Ankle said:

As for flooring, am intending to go for evorich herf but the ids gave diff price range from 1.7k to 3.1k. So i've contacted evorich directly and requested for a quotation. Will be heading down to their showroom directly to discuss further.

compare using unit price is more accurate than lump sum. cos area should be the same for all suppliers.

2 hours ago, Ankle said:

Hi ryan,

Yes, am using planner 5d! Didn't aware the app can do virtual tour of 3d plan. Here's the link

https://planner5d.com/view?key=952b7624e2e193d5ae0190640b250473

Cool, a musician! :D
Somethings i noted in the 3D plan:
1) That area where u intend to put TV, the length may be very small.
Mine was only 1.3m max. Yours might be bigger, You might want to check your floorplan.
If its small, the size of your TV also can't be very big. Thats not an issue of course if you are ok with small TV.

2) I didn't see any lightings being added, and you might want to add some.
Lightings can really add to the mood and atmosphere of your living space

The L-shape table would be my dining + work area. And the armchair as well. I like to eat while watching tv. :D
Ah i c. I thought you're gonna put your printer or other computer related items there.
Interesting to see it being double up as dining table also. :D

But since i couldn't find any L-shape table that fits the required measurement, i'll have to custom made. 

I'll have to do some re-piping in bathroom area coz the sink is nearer to kitchen and shower fixture is opp toilet bowl in the orginal hdb proposed layout. I would preferred moving the shower area nearer to kitchen even if i could not do wet/dry.
I didn't do repiping for my renovation, so I can't comment whether if it will be possible or not.
One thing I do know is IDs or Contractors are EXTREMELY hesitant to do any modifications to Bathrooms because they scare water proofing kena. Even doing Tiling they will show special care. You might want to take that into consideration that you MAY or may not be able to do the repiping you want.

Also, i've requested to patch the bedrm entrance and both bathroom entrances to narrow down the width from original 1m to 80cm. Coz i've wanted to create more wall space to fit in 6ft wardrobe and piano + shoes cabinet. 
Instead of dedicating space in your bedroom for that wardrobe? May i recommend you use your BombShelter as Walk-In Wardrobe instead? I'm going this route myself. I'll let ya'll know if its ok or not lol. Hey if its feasible, you can free up more space in your bedroom and put a bigger queen size bed to enjoy :D

Also, am going to cement screed some part of the kitchen wall as proposed by one of my ids to create raw industrial look. 

Cement screed part of wall to have raw industrial look is interesting, but i've read that it needs to be sealed very well,
otherwise it may develop cracks over a couple of years. You might want to take note of this too.

As you can see, due to the amt of carpentry and works, some of my ids quoted me very high. The total amt of quotation ranged from 20k to 35k excluding electric works. So wanted to do some research on the market price first before comitting to an id. 

From how my renovation experience goes. You will need to factor in about extra 5K on top of whatever is quoted on paper.
(this amount includes electrical, hacking, haulage etc) Of course this amount goes higher or lower depending on your ID.
Your kitchen looks pretty standard and shouldn't cost too much. If you are able to locate a L-shape table off the shelf instead of doing customize carpentry, you will be able to save even more.

Forgot to add,

My apologies, i didn't need to do any flooring other than overlay of tiles so i'm afraid i can't help you here.

Edited by ryanyth

2 hours ago, mmoh said:

hmm... guess u will be laying vinyl? Not sure about parquet / wood, but for vinyl, it is rubber and bendable. my vinyl contractor said after few months, the vinyl will bend slightly in accordance to the cement surface, but then I still can feel the hollowness in certain corners after 1 year.

compare using unit price is more accurate than lump sum. cos area should be the same for all suppliers.

My id told me that usually for vinyl flooring, you'll need to lay a layer of some thin material to avoid the hollowness.

Am just puzzled that why different ids could quote me so differently for the same area and using the material from same supplier. That's why i've decided to contact the supplier myself and hope to save some cost then.

Hey ryan,

For the tv wall length, it should be 1.5m according to my bto floorplan. Just enuff to fit a 55inch tv. :D

Didn't add the lightings in the planner 5d coz i lazy to do that and my lightings will be ceiling fan attached with simple cold led lights. Probably throw in some light bulbs to make certain area brighter. Am not really particular over ambience lightings.

I'm really lazy, didn't think i would want to walk so far to change cloth. Would rather had super single size bed which is already an upgrade of my current single size bed. Also, had invested in a red color mini massage chair to be placed in bedroom. My new house is going to be a haven and i've told my friends they'll probably hardly see me after i've moved... :P

My ids had warned me abt the cracks regarding cement screeding wall but i think it's fine since it's only hairline cracks and it'll add characteristic to the industrial theme. 

As for the re-piping, had already went thru a round of discussion with the IDs regarding this. Can only make some concrete decision after key collection.

P/s: wouldn't exactly label myself as a musician. Piano playing is just something i've picked up in my twenties but seldom touch it nowadays. Just that the piano in my current house had to move wif me to my new house. :P

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ankle said:

My id told me that usually for vinyl flooring, you'll need to lay a layer of some thin material to avoid the hollowness.

Am just puzzled that why different ids could quote me so differently for the same area and using the material from same supplier. That's why i've decided to contact the supplier myself and hope to save some cost then.

hmm.... I dont have additional layer between the vinyl and cement screed. Not sure for @coolbunny