Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
andotang

2 Room Bto Themeless With Philips Hue Lighting

Things that I throw away.

Beside the veneer bedroom door, I also throw away the followings.

The shower head and mixer. At first I decided to keep and use until spoil then change, then just after some cleaning around the house using this showerhead, the water cannot even shoot straight, the holes on the showerhead got blocked or water shoot slanting. Worst of all the water pressure is very bad, no strength, the mixer seems to have some kind of filter in it to control water flow. So I remove this and also arranged to replace the 2 tiles behind because got holes after removed.

DThrow1.jpg

I throw away this toilet bowl, wanted to get something with a cleaner finishing as I don't like bolts showing and also bacteria will stuck there and looks yellowish and dirty after few years. If I didn't overlay, I probably will just live with it until spoil, I change because I overlay, need to remove so might as well change for the better. After I removed this and then I realised one very important thing in my house, water pressure, so bloody strong that I accidentally wet myself. It is those mixer and valve given by HDB which makes the water pressure low so you save water for them. They have some kind of water saving filter in all their taps or valve. Now I am glad that I throw away all their showerhead and mixer.

DThrow2.jpg

I need countertop space for my vanity and will be doing a semi recessed wash basin with granite top and front profile, thus this have to go.

DThrow3.jpg

Overlayed my flooring, height increased. Have to remove this kitchen side bi-fold door.

DThrow4.jpg

Same to the bedroom side, also have to throw. I also extend the wall by 30mm on both entrance to make the door smaller then no need bi-fold.

Dthrow5.jpg

This plastic drain cover on bedroom side also have to throw since overlayed and cannot use back due to different height.

DThrow6.jpg

Kitchen side also throw. All donated to my neighbour who told me her plastic cover begin to chip off already, and this plastic is very bad design as a lot of hair stuck to it.

DThrow7.jpg

This hanger was a tough decision. Everyone advice me to keep it. So I weight down the pros and cons. No harm keeping it there, but I feel very cramp if that thing is over my head all the time. When my kitchen cabinet is up and washing machine is in, the only way to use this thing is standing right below it and stretch your arm upwards to hang your clothing as you got no space to stand beside it. I am more comfortable to hang on a waist level hanger and not something like this at our head level. If I keep and remove later, there will be 4 bolts sticking out from the ceiling which will be ugly because I saw my neighbour remove it and left 4 bolts. So in the end, I don't want to keep something so hard to use and make my kitchen so cramp, it also limit the space you have for your kitchen lighting. Forget to mention the mechanism to lower this rack feels very lousy, only worked at a particular angle. I managed to plan alternative ways to dry my laundry so I told ID to remove it, including removing the 4 bolts sticking out.

DThrow8.jpg

And so I throw away so many things, if given a choice, I would have op out all the above item when booking my flat, unfortunately I can't as I bought a balance flat, the previous owner did all the decision. Well, at least I am glad he op in for the flooring, white tiles is perfect for my hue theme and saved me a few thousand of cash to do other things.
Edited by andotang
replace all missing pic, somehow the blog mess up all my posted pic

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

luckily i dont have the plastic drain cover... if not sure kena lots of hair >_<"

Think the new BTO toilet dun have the plastic drain cover rite?

Bunniboi, I am not sure. It may be BTO to BTO design differently. From andotang's floorplan, it is also not stated. I can only see from my unit's pictures that I dont have the plastic drain cover.

Bunniboi, I am not sure. It may be BTO to BTO design differently. From andotang's floorplan, it is also not stated. I can only see from my unit's pictures that I dont have the plastic drain cover.

Oic....Chum si.... well...just have to wait till i get to see my unit ba. =D

My Space Planning.

After thinking long and hard I came out with this space planning. I decided I will not need a sofa and coffee table as most of my time will be spend on the computer, therefore no feature wall or tv console too. Will be getting a Sitoca table for my computer which will last me a long long time as they are very good quality. Will be getting a tall dining table so I can save space and hide the chair under the table. As for the toilet, door size will be reduce from 1meter to 700mm for both doors. I also found a metal work company who can custom fabricate this iron grating for the drain in my toilet, as such I proceeded to start my renovation.

Custom grating from a metal work company at a reasonably acceptable price.

ESpaceplanning3.jpg

My own space planning.

ESpaceplanning1.jpg

Planned all my lighting point too.

ESpaceplanning2.jpg

My ID will do all renovation except Evorich HERF Platform in bedroom and Blum Urban Kitchen which I have signed up myself during their promotion event. It is less then 19K which exclude the above 2 expensive item. Can be cheaper by a lot but because I gotten 2 new doors, granite top for kichen and toilet and a sliding shower screen make the price high. Putting high hopes that all my investment is worth it.
Edited by andotang

I'm thinking along the same lines as you. A coffee table serves no purpose other than take up precious space in the living/dining room. If one is getting entertainment mainly from the PC, then TV and console may not be necessary.

Will your refrigerator, washing machine and dryer be built into your blum kitchen cabinet?

Nice planning! I also dont intend to have feature wall, tv console and coffee table. may not have sofa even if my platform bay window is possible.

andotang, what is your reno budget?

I'm thinking along the same lines as you. A coffee table serves no purpose other than take up precious space in the living/dining room. If one is getting entertainment mainly from the PC, then TV and console may not be necessary.

Will your refrigerator, washing machine and dryer be built into your blum kitchen cabinet?

There is a space reserved for the refrigerator, no other place in the kitchen can put it unless I want to put in the living room to get more worktop space. I do have a small blum cabinet above the fridge. I will have my 2 in 1 washer/dryer under the granite worktop, no need a separate dryer to waste space.

Nice planning! I also dont intend to have feature wall, tv console and coffee table. may not have sofa even if my platform bay window is possible.

andotang, what is your reno budget?

The platform in my room will double up as gathering area if I have family members come over. I did a slanting bedhead so it is very comfortable just sitting on my platform. I am getting 2 x single mattress, so I just need to stack them up and can free up floor space. I currently sleeping on queen bed and there is no way to squeeze any floor area with the bed frame, that's why I choose not to have bedframe now.

As for budget, I don't know whether I can post any pricing here. But I spend quite a lot on items like haiku fan, hydroflux hot cold dispenser, hue bulb, 2.5k platform, 5k blum kitchen excluding granite top. Already 12.5k like this, fridge and washing machine and aircon another 5k. Renovation from ID less then 19K, so if I add up including all furniture and electrical it is over 40K. However to give you an idea, the renovation alone without furniture or electrical appliances should be between 10 to 20k if you just do the basic necessary item. I would advice you to start planning your furniture and electrical list prior to getting your keys. This way you know how much budget you can set aside for renovation after those furniture/electrical list.

Home Networking

I have a total of 3 telephone point (Bedroom, Living Room, Bomb Shelter) and 1 RJ45 Network point at TV console area which is the default point for all HDB flat. I don't want to put my router in living room where my computer will be as I want to replace all 3 telephone point with RJ45. I also don't want the router which produce so much heat to sit right next to me when using my computer. So I have to put this router in the DB box, well it will get hot in the DB box but I have no other choice.

FNetowrking1.jpg

This default port from the DB BOX linked to the TV console area which I will be connecting to my computer. I then called up BTO Networking as recommended by fellow renotalkers to come change all 3 telephone point to RJ45. Took his package deal and paid less then 100 bucks. Don't let the ID change for you as they will charge a lot more.

FNetowrking2.jpg

Now you get a faceplate with 3 more RJ45 plug. I have yet to plug in my router so when I do, all the 4 RJ45 will go into the router, making every telephone point now become a LAN point for internet access. Then whichever point I decided to use the Digital Voice for my home phone, I just plug that into my router's voice port.

FNetowrking3.jpg

The only complaint I have is the heat that is coming from router I wonder if it will make the DB box overheated. As there is still storage space which I will be making some shelves to it, this area is gonna be very hot and dry. I also face a problem as I want to put 2 computers on my table but only have 1 LAN point, all cables are hidden and there is no way I can have another LAN point there unless I use a network switch which I hate because it uses another power plug, so one of the computer on the same table have to use wireless. Yet to decide whether to switch or to wireless, shall see when my computer table arrive.

Edited by andotang

Have you considered changing the wooden doors to mesh doors? This will allow heat to escape from the closet and signals from router won't be blocked. The mesh should hide whatever is inside the closet sufficiently.

Have you considered changing the wooden doors to mesh doors? This will allow heat to escape from the closet and signals from router won't be blocked. The mesh should hide whatever is inside the closet sufficiently.

Thank you for this good suggestion. Will see how hot first before I dump in money to change the door.

Tiles Selection.

I need to choose a tiles to overlay my toilet and also to see which granite to use for my kitchen and vanity top. So I went to Soon Bee Huat near IMM to browse around. Was really impressed with the collection and huge area. My preference for toilet tiles is light color, textured and anti slip. Walked a few round still cannot find anything special that attracts me. Until I saw this mock up shower area, I immediately fall in love with this raised shower platform. Contacted my ID and she said can be done on my toilet at very affordable price. So now I have to choose 2 kind of tiles.

GTiles1.jpg

I left Soon Bee Huat and went to Hafary at Tradehub 21. Also didn't see anything special until I chance upon this one. Very dry feel like stepping on sandpaper. Not really the kind of color and pattern I like but the texture is really good. No need to apply anti slip treatment which need maintenance.

GTiles2.jpg

With nothing better that I can find, I decided to go with this tile and this color.

GTiles3.jpg

As for the shower platform tiles, I saw this grey tiles and cannot resist wanting it. Love the texture and color.

GTiles4.jpg

But later give up because the width is too small and will have too much grout line which is not good since water is splashing on it. So in the end I choose this one.

GTiles5.jpg

Also decided to use Black Galaxy granite for my toilet and Imperial Black for kitchen.

Here is a preview of my shower platform, work is still in progress and I will have a proper post when it is done.

GTiles6.jpg

Edited by andotang

Tiles Selection.

I need to choose a tiles to overlay my toilet and also to see which granite to use for my kitchen and vanity top. So I went to Soon Bee Huat near IMM to browse around. Was really impressed with the collection and huge area. My preference for toilet tiles is light color, textured and anti slip. Walked a few round still cannot find anything special that attracts me. Until I saw this mock up shower area, I immediately fall in love with this raised shower platform. Contacted my ID and she said can be done on my toilet at very affordable price. So now I have to choose 2 kind of tiles.

I left Soon Bee Huat and went to Hafary at Tradehub 21. Also didn't see anything special until I chance upon this one. Very dry feel like stepping on sandpaper. Not really the kind of color and pattern I like but the texture is really good. No need to apply anti slip treatment which need maintenance.

With nothing better that I can find, I decided to go with this tile and this color.

As for the shower platform tiles, I saw this grey tiles and cannot resist wanting it. Love the texture and color.

But later give up because the width is too small and will have too much grout line which is not good since water is splashing on it. So in the end I choose this one.

Also decided to use Black Galaxy granite for my toilet and Imperial Black for kitchen.
Here is a preview of my shower platform, work is still in progress and I will have a proper post when it is done.

Wow....very nice...love your toilet tiles combi...