Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Blinds versus curtains

After weighing the pros and cons of curtains and blinds. I decided to have blinds as it is less maintenance and still able to hide the light away..

saw this blinds at my friend place and i think it looks very nice! anyone using something similar as well?

white%20blinds_zps8q2jec2x.jpg

white blinds

timber%20blinds_zpsym61ryju.jpg

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

The blinds are nice and very popular now for a good reason.no need to laundry and just need to wipe through !

But I have never seen it when it's all roll up and wonder if it is all bunched up and very thick looking ?

Edited by Luxexplorer

The blinds are nice and very popular now for a good reason.no need to laundry and just need to wipe though !

But I have never seen it when it's all roll up and wonder if it is all bunched up and very thick looking ?

it is not bulky.

shopping

Built in Oven

My first Oven. So many choices..

shortlisted these 2. anyone owns any of them can share your review please?

1) Super sleek and nice!

bosch%20oven1.jpg_zps7ckq7ilx.png

2) Not bad.. Silver and black.

ON promotion now.
bosch%20oven_zpswwhrycx8.png

Gas Hob versus Induction

Still struggling to accept the fact there is no direct Gas to my house. =(

Wanted to use Induction but due to the power load supply to the house It is impossible to install one plus it's so expensive.. =(

Hence have to use gas hob with LPG... :(

Shortlisted two gas hob from two different brands

1) Bosch

bosch%20hob_zps9bjc8qpt.png

2) Brandt

brandt-tg1483b-77cm-3-burners-gass-hob-b

both looks so nice.. pricing wise.not much difference.

Edited by twinklecloud

Roof

Polycarbonate-1-700x937_zpsn131b8hq.jpg

this is what we planned to do for our roof. We wanted a slight transparent but not totally blocked from the light.

Yesterday the Roof guy came to install and atlas! the aircon condenser were placed too low and hence they were not able to do anything.

So called up the aircon guy and hope he can rectify the issues by today.

Problem start arising.. feels so sad

Nice to catch up on your reno! Seems to be coming along quite well, so many small decisions to make! Glad that my suggestion of the sliding door for the MBR worked out! :)

For the electricals, like others have mentioned, it's useful to just tally up what gadgets you currently use. One good way is just to walk around your current place and count the number of sockets you're using, separated by rooms. For you, because you have kids as well, need to take into account their electrical needs when they grow up as well for the kids rooms (so need to allocate modem, computer, printer, desk lamp, speakers for kids rooms too?). For me, because I intend to change the layout of my rooms in the future, I also have to take into account that my sockets would need to spaced throughout the rooms so that in the future, if I move where my bed or my table is in the room, there's still a power socket nearby. So I am already planning for quite a high electrical cost, because for some rooms I will have more points that I would need at any one time. Same with TV points (so I intend to get two TV points in the living room, one on each opposing wall). Not sure whether that helps.

Just a quick look at your electrical estimates:

- any extra points for fans? I remember you mentioned you might have a wall-mounted fan for your kitchen? I would put at least one point at the dining area just for the fan since I'm not having a ceiling fan elsewhere from the living room.

- yard - no power point for the washing machine? Dryer?

- kitchen - this is one of those places I could count my devices. And roughly figure out how many would need to be plugged in concurrently (rice cooker, maybe air fryer, maybe water pot/kettle, microwave? mixer?)

- I had some powerpoints on my second floor hallway in case I needed to charge my Roomba there or put some lamps/fans there.

Love the wooden blinds (though we're likely to have curtains for ourselves) and actually prefer the white painted under-staircase look. Or whatever colour is your wall, match the colour. Easier to maintain, if dirty just paint over!

Loving the roof, hoping it would turn out well for you! Did you have to get some sort of permit to build it?

Nice to catch up on your reno! Seems to be coming along quite well, so many small decisions to make! Glad that my suggestion of the sliding door for the MBR worked out! :)

For the electricals, like others have mentioned, it's useful to just tally up what gadgets you currently use. One good way is just to walk around your current place and count the number of sockets you're using, separated by rooms. For you, because you have kids as well, need to take into account their electrical needs when they grow up as well for the kids rooms (so need to allocate modem, computer, printer, desk lamp, speakers for kids rooms too?). For me, because I intend to change the layout of my rooms in the future, I also have to take into account that my sockets would need to spaced throughout the rooms so that in the future, if I move where my bed or my table is in the room, there's still a power socket nearby. So I am already planning for quite a high electrical cost, because for some rooms I will have more points that I would need at any one time. Same with TV points (so I intend to get two TV points in the living room, one on each opposing wall). Not sure whether that helps.

Just a quick look at your electrical estimates:

- any extra points for fans? I remember you mentioned you might have a wall-mounted fan for your kitchen? I would put at least one point at the dining area just for the fan since I'm not having a ceiling fan elsewhere from the living room.

- yard - no power point for the washing machine? Dryer?

- kitchen - this is one of those places I could count my devices. And roughly figure out how many would need to be plugged in concurrently (rice cooker, maybe air fryer, maybe water pot/kettle, microwave? mixer?)

- I had some powerpoints on my second floor hallway in case I needed to charge my Roomba there or put some lamps/fans there.

Love the wooden blinds (though we're likely to have curtains for ourselves) and actually prefer the white painted under-staircase look. Or whatever colour is your wall, match the colour. Easier to maintain, if dirty just paint over!

Loving the roof, hoping it would turn out well for you! Did you have to get some sort of permit to build it?

hey ricepapergirl,

welcome back!! hehe.. thanks alot for the tips on the electrical points.. it's really alot of headache.. ended up we super KS and added in quite abit.. feels so much poorer now.. =(

thanks for your kind words on the roof and blinds

Aircon

Today the Aircon guy came and has to remove all the piping and redo the brackets for the aircon condenser so that the roof can be installed next week..

thumbs up to him and his team! *cross fingers* smooth smooth journey...

Furniture

Just wondering, how one can buy furniture and get the shop to hold them till the renovation is done?

We have been wanting to buy but afraid to that the shop wont be able to hold especially those sale items hence we decided to hold on till after we shifted in.

Anyone can advise?

Edited by twinklecloud

For electrical points, my advice is to:-

1) over cater - you will definitely find the points insufficient and start to add multi-point adapters, which may not be safe

2) ask for dual point sockets - most cost efficient compared to single point sockets

3) have some on the opposite wall - you will need them

For TV points, no comments if you are installing SCV points. But practically useless to instal the traditional rooftop antennae TV points, whether private or HDB. This network is scheduled to be decommissioned. Supposed to have been done last month already.

Edited by Ks Toh

Furniture

Just wondering, how one can buy furniture and get the shop to hold them till the renovation is done?

We have been wanting to buy but afraid to that the shop wont be able to hold especially those sale items hence we decided to hold on till after we shifted in.

Anyone can advise?

Check with the shop? I bought items from Seahorse and Nook & Cranny and they were willing to delay delivery for up to 2 months...

Hi twinklecloud!

Don't worry, there is no such thing as overcater for electrical points like Ks Toh said! You never knew what new gadgets will become super important in the future that you suddenly need power for. 5-10 years ago we didn't all have tablets and laptops and smart TVs in every room etc.

Agree with the TV point issue that Ks Toh mentioned, I was referring to cable TV point. If you buy a TV recently most of them should have digital antenna for free-to-air channels if you don't want to connect to cable or Mio TV or to Viewqwest etc.

For furniture, just ask the shop. We usually will just ask them for how long they can keep the furniture for us after purchase and have gotten varying duration, the longest we've heard is 3 months. Most places will hold for 1 to 2 months, but not too sure about sale items.