Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
karen77sg

Any Of Yr Hubbies Work Very Late Every Day?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
I will like to earn $$ and have time to spend $$.

I dun want to go travel when my back is aching, and can't walk for long hrs.

So it is a balance for me.

Agree!! :seeya:

I will like to earn $$ and have time to spend $$.

I dun want to go travel when my back is aching, and can't walk for long hrs.

Unfortunately, in investment banking, there is very little room for middle ground. If you want to earn $$, you must be prepared to slog like mad... 14 hours work-day is considered very good.... 18 to 20 hours work-day is more the norm. If you aren't willing to put in long hours, IB won't want you. Remember what Jackson Tai said recently? He was suggesting that work-life balance in Singapore is given too much focus, and that young people should make use of the opportunities to learn as much as they can while they still have the grey matter.

It is tempting to look at the high bonuses and feel envious. Don't be. Frank Wong has said that this is part of the 'career risk' that one has to take. You may be well paid in one year, but in the next, you may be asked to go. It wasn't that long ago that we read in the papers about investment bankers who used to earn five figure monthly salaries having to give tuition because they were told to go.

Unfortunately, in investment banking, there is very little room for middle ground. If you want to earn $$, you must be prepared to slog like mad... 14 hours work-day is considered very good.... 18 to 20 hours work-day is more the norm. If you aren't willing to put in long hours, IB won't want you. Remember what Jackson Tai said recently? He was suggesting that work-life balance in Singapore is given too much focus, and that young people should make use of the opportunities to learn as much as they can while they still have the grey matter.

It is tempting to look at the high bonuses and feel envious. Don't be. Frank Wong has said that this is part of the 'career risk' that one has to take. You may be well paid in one year, but in the next, you may be asked to go. It wasn't that long ago that we read in the papers about investment bankers who used to earn five figure monthly salaries having to give tuition because they were told to go.

Good points made. Every career has it pros and cons..

I dunno abt DBS but where I am.. work life balance isn't really a focus although they want it to be.. lol..

I dunno abt DBS but where I am.. work life balance isn't really a focus although they want it to be.. lol..

dbs also same 'work life balance isn't really a focus although they want it to be'.. i was with hs previously and I find that they are really a good employer aiming to have good work life balance for its staff.. sad to say, i 'jian ming' la, know dbs not good employer still go back to them (was my first job)..

Hi I'm new to this forum. Have been reading up on the reno threads a lot but have not contributed anything there yet. I'm still searching for an ID for my new place.

My hubby works late everyday. When we were living overseas, he is much more relaxed and we spend lots more time together. Still he did lots of traveling so I'm alone most of the time anyway.

Here I don't see him till 11ish at night, sometimes later. He goes into the office on Saturdays anyway but we usually have dinner on Sats and Sundays he's free - unless there's some work thing again. I trust my husband totally and he trusts me too, I"m after all a "lonely housewife".

Was reading up the 100% vs 80-20% posts. All I can say is right now we trust each other completely, I've never looked at his pager and mobile in the past 12 years we've been together nor do we check each other's email accounts and other stuff. For me it is easy to trust him, he's not done anything to make me feel suspicious and likewise for me.

I think so long as one is comfortable with their approach, attitude and philosophy towards their marriage and the approach works for them eg. give them peace of mind; all is good.

For me, I give my all, no reservations at all. If he ever does anything to disappoint me, there is nothing I can do. I can't imagine living a life where I nurture a degree of suspicion and distrust about my husband. I think it's accumulative. Both of us have not done things or have lifestyles that encourage affairs. There are always better looking and more sucessful people out there. So long as we do not put ourselves in situations where we become vulnerable to temptations, we're cool.

I think I am straying away from the main topic, so yes mine works late and sometimes he's often away for days. I can't wait to start work because the aimless wandering around orchard and shopping is killing my wallet!

Edited by loves

Hi I'm new to this forum. Have been reading up on the reno threads a lot but have not contributed anything there yet. I'm still searching for an ID for my new place.

My hubby works late everyday. When we were living overseas, he is much more relaxed and we spend lots more time together. Still he did lots of traveling so I'm alone most of the time anyway.

Here I don't see him till 11ish at night, sometimes later. He goes into the office on Saturdays anyway but we usually have dinner on Sats and Sundays he's free - unless there's some work thing again. I trust my husband totally and he trusts me too, I"m after all a "lonely housewife".

Was reading up the 100% vs 80-20% posts. All I can say is right now we trust each other completely, I've never looked at his pager and mobile in the past 12 years we've been together nor do we check each other's email accounts and other stuff. For me it is easy to trust him, he's not done anything to make me feel suspicious and likewise for me.

I think so long as one is comfortable with their approach, attitude and philosophy towards their marriage and the approach works for them eg. give them peace of mind; all is good.

For me, I give my all, no reservations at all. If he ever does anything to disappoint me, there is nothing I can do. I can't imagine living a life where I nurture a degree of suspicion and distrust about my husband. I think it's accumulative. Both of us have not done things or have lifestyles that encourage affairs. There are always better looking and more sucessful people out there. So long as we do not put ourselves in situations where we become vulnerable to temptations, we're cool.

I think I am straying away from the main topic, so yes mine works late and sometimes he's often away for days. I can't wait to start work because the aimless wandering around orchard and shopping is killing my wallet!

Its good to keep yrself occupied! At the same time, u can learn more and earn some money for

yrself too...

Sometimes yes, cos his meeting with the other countries start at his end of the official working hours. Sometimes i can't understand why the other party set it so late??? It seems that being gobally, Singaporean are more likely to abide by their timing than ours.

Sometimes yes, cos his meeting with the other countries start at his end of the official working hours. Sometimes i can't understand why the other party set it so late??? It seems that being gobally, Singaporean are more likely to abide by their timing than ours.

If you have conference calls with people from London and New York, you will find that there is no such time as a good time for all parties. Between New York and Singapore, one will have to have it in the early morning and the other at night. To have London in there, we can only have morning meetings for New York and night meetings for Singapore (the other way doesn't work because it would be middle of the night for London).

If you have conference calls with people from London and New York, you will find that there is no such time as a good time for all parties. Between New York and Singapore, one will have to have it in the early morning and the other at night. To have London in there, we can only have morning meetings for New York and night meetings for Singapore (the other way doesn't work because it would be middle of the night for London).

Yar. Agreed fully. So how to increased population with such working environment???

Talking about work, money and time for yourself and to spend the money.

I guess it depends on the size and org structure and pay policy and what standard they adopt, like the Hay's standard, etc.

I worked for an Investment back before....BxxxxxCxxxxxx pay very well, but no time to spend....personally take a pay cut of about 40% and landed in current job...still pay 100k+ per year...but got more time for myself and now my only daughter, but recently....needs to travel quite a bit.

When you are young and striving to build up your financial, buy house, get girlfriend, then wife, etc, etc you will focus on money.....as you age more, you look for work life balance and when you are old you look for job security....just a different phase of life and needs.

Sorry I am not saying to have gf and wife means needs alot of money or imply the woman go for money, just that nothing is free...want to hold hand must spend some money...like good dinner, movies, transport, gifts sometimes, etc etc....

But hey money is not everything, but you need money to have something.

Cheers