Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
luv-to-bake

Built-in oven

Hello all,

Here's a long rant.

Im at a crossroad on oven and hood selection too. :unsure:

For convection ovens, was about to get Rinnai RBO-7MRX, priced at $746 at CityGas

showroom. Then decide to look around abit due to the RBO-7MRX not having a turnspit.

Yup, i love doing roasting and grilling. Wife is more inclined on the baking part.

Felt that its necessary to have a rotisserie and turnspit for roasting purposes.

But the Rinnai saleslady told me the RBO-7MRX roasts fine without the turnspit since

it apparently has a rotational tray i.e. like microwave type.

Is this true? They didnt have this oven on display hence couldnt test confirm whether

what she said was true.

Then i came across Ariston OS 89 IX OPENSPACE retailing at $1499 on Mayer website.

Spacious, rotisserie, has tangential ventilation etc. The only downside is the poor after

sales i keep reading about on Ariston. Lol.

On another note, what difference is the catalytic and pyrolytic cleaning functions?

Is it just higher heat difference? Coz the Ariston OS 99 IX OPENSPACE with pyrolytic cleaning

retails at $1899. Worth the extra $400?

And for all these multi cooking programmes ovens, wont using the same oven for

roasting, defrosting, baking etc leave any lingering smell that affects your next dish?

Rant over... :P

YNWA,

El Nino

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

kitchenmatters, check with you sth....

would it be ergonomical to place the oven directly below the stove? i wish to save space and place it directly below the stove but worry that if both stove and oven are being used at same time, would it be good? any advice?

btw, for catalytic and pyrolytic cleaning ovens, here's how the functions work:

Catalytic cleaning involves a coating, which is applied to the oven cavity. The catalytic liners work when the oven is heated to 220ºC – and residue is oxidised. There are limitations. They don’t clean the whole cavity, it’s dependent on where the liners are placed; the base is enamel and the door window is glass both of which still need to be cleaned using household cleaners.

Pyrolytic cleaning is the best method of cleaning as it cleans the entire oven including the base and door, requiring no other household cleaning products. It is 100% effective and extremely easy. It works by burning off grease and residue at high temperatures of around 500ºC. Because it uses heat it can reach into all corners, cleaning every nook and cranny in the oven. All you have to do is simply wipe away the ash and your oven is left looking brand new. There are other positive spin offs – better energy efficiency and reduced running costs when the oven is in use, you will get cooler touch doors (generally 4 panes of glass instead of 2) and the oven will have a better cooling fan.

If you are looking for a pyrolytic cleaning functioned oven, do check out french ovens like electrolux, brandt etc etc as 70+% of the built-in french ovens market is pyrolytic.

would it be ergonomical to place the oven directly below the stove? i wish to save space and place it directly below the stove but worry that if both stove and oven are being used at same time, would it be good? any advice?

hi,

some things i could logically think of for such orientation:

1) oven not at eye level, less convenient when need to monitor during baking/roasting

2) lower than eye level means bending down often when utilising the oven, maybe not convenient for old folks or those with back problems?

3) not feasible to use glass top hobs if u fancy those, coz constant high oven heat may cause the

glass to crack eventually, irregardless of what they claim got heat resistant etc etc paranoia on my

part here...hehe

just my POV... :)

YNWA,

El Nino

btw, for catalytic and pyrolytic cleaning ovens, here's how the functions work:

thanks for the clarification! needed that... :good:

from the sound of it, i still dun find this extra function much of a need but a want...

end up, after every use of the oven, surely the heat will melt away all food / sauces that are splatter within it..?

maybe for grilling/roasting can place a tray below to catch the dripping sauce?

after finish the cooking, we will also wash our dishes right? so its the same thing, once the oven is really cooled down, use a damp cloth to just wipe should suffice innit..?

Granted either catalytic or pyrolytic simplifies the cleaning potion albeit at a cost.... :unsure:

Just my POV... :D

YNWA,

El Nino

thanks for the clarification! needed that... :good:

from the sound of it, i still dun find this extra function much of a need but a want...

end up, after every use of the oven, surely the heat will melt away all food / sauces that are splatter within it..?

maybe for grilling/roasting can place a tray below to catch the dripping sauce?

after finish the cooking, we will also wash our dishes right? so its the same thing, once the oven is really cooled down, use a damp cloth to just wipe should suffice innit..?

Granted either catalytic or pyrolytic simplifies the cleaning potion albeit at a cost.... :unsure:

Just my POV... :D

YNWA,

El Nino

erm, i tik it's not tat simple for oven i suppose....quite different from dishes....where u use soapy water to wash them clean...

frm my experience, even if there's a roasting tray for u to allow the sauces to drip there, the sauces will inevitably splash onto the walls of the oven....sometimes, even if u just gently clean ur oven with a damp cloth, it's prob quite hard to clean it properly....some stubborn grime still gets stuck there...

if u use pyrolytic ovens which makes use of charcoal to oxidise the grime n all, eventually u just need to use a cloth to wipe all the 'burnt' off dirt n grime after the pyrolytic cleaning process...it's diff

erm, i tik it's not tat simple for oven i suppose....quite different from dishes....where u use soapy water to wash them clean...

frm my experience, even if there's a roasting tray for u to allow the sauces to drip there, the sauces will inevitably splash onto the walls of the oven....sometimes, even if u just gently clean ur oven with a damp cloth, it's prob quite hard to clean it properly....some stubborn grime still gets stuck there...

if u use pyrolytic ovens which makes use of charcoal to oxidise the grime n all, eventually u just need to use a cloth to wipe all the 'burnt' off dirt n grime after the pyrolytic cleaning process...it's diff

thanks...you laid a few good points there... :good:

so instead of getting the in-between catalytic, go for a pyrolytic one instead?

think catalytic shd suffice right since they serve the same cleaning purpose...

think i'll drop by Teka at UE...check out their combo ovens...

got a feeling they are wallet bursters tho... :P

YNWA,

El Nino

kitchenmatters, check with you sth....

Hi raceakaclouds ;

sorry for the late reply ;

what type of hob are you planning to purchase ? ( Stainless Steel or Glass ) If stainless steel is okie as i see most contractors will place a ply wood across and now most oven comes with ventilation .

But if you plan to purchase glass hob , is not so advisable as it may heat up the glass stove ( contract and expand )

kitchen matters :)

hi,

some things i could logically think of for such orientation:

1) oven not at eye level, less convenient when need to monitor during baking/roasting

2) lower than eye level means bending down often when utilising the oven, maybe not convenient for old folks or those with back problems?

3) not feasible to use glass top hobs if u fancy those, coz constant high oven heat may cause the

glass to crack eventually, irregardless of what they claim got heat resistant etc etc paranoia on my

part here...hehe

just my POV... :)

YNWA,

El Nino

Hi El Nino.

have you gt your appliance , heard tat nowadays thats so many promotion around :)

kitchen matters

Hi graceakaclouds,

I heard DIY Shop they sell some cleaner for the inner Oven ( under the brand 3 M )

kitchen matters

thanks...you laid a few good points there... :good:

so instead of getting the in-between catalytic, go for a pyrolytic one instead?

think catalytic shd suffice right since they serve the same cleaning purpose...

think i'll drop by Teka at UE...check out their combo ovens...

got a feeling they are wallet bursters tho... :P

YNWA,

El Nino

Look for medaline at teka , i heard her service is good.

KM

We are looking for an oven for our new house too. As renovation will starts in March, I think it's high time we start searching for an oven. As we don't cook most of the time, so this oven we need will be more for heating up food, and some grilling. Budget : less than $500. Any recommendation? Colour : Stainless steel so as to blend in with fridge and kitchen off-white cabinets. Thanks.

Hi El Nino.

have you gt your appliance , heard tat nowadays thats so many promotion around :)

kitchen matters

elo kitchen matters,

no, have not gotten any yet...still deciding and confused as ever...Lol

undecided on oven, hood and washer.....

hope to take advantage of the CNY promo period to buy

but reno will start late March, so dunno if now too early or not...

YNWA,

El Nino

elo kitchen matters,

no, have not gotten any yet...still deciding and confused as ever...Lol

undecided on oven, hood and washer.....

hope to take advantage of the CNY promo period to buy

but reno will start late March, so dunno if now too early or not...

YNWA,

El Nino

Hi El Nino ;

Reno start late March so most rno tks around 4-8 weeks to complete . Can try IT show which is coming soon , theres sure alot of promotion included LCD , fridge , kitchen appliance :)

KM :)

We are looking for an oven for our new house too. As renovation will starts in March, I think it's high time we start searching for an oven. As we don't cook most of the time, so this oven we need will be more for heating up food, and some grilling. Budget : less than $500. Any recommendation? Colour : Stainless steel so as to blend in with fridge and kitchen off-white cabinets. Thanks.

Hi Josvin,

Can consider table top combi type microwave and oven ? Or built In Oven ( 60cm - 45cm ) . 45cm mostly is Bosch and 60 cm there's Bosch , Ariston , Indesit , Elba , Rinnai , Teka , Tenkei .

As most oven comes with 5 to 9 or even more cooking programs . And actually most oven can heat up your food :) Just use the fan mode and set temp. at around 50 degree for a few minutes will do :)

And you need to plan to decided where should you install your oven ( body height or below a stove ) And chose those with ventalation as it protect your cabinet - once the oven heated up to a certain temp. it will blow out hot air .

For budget $500.00 ++ can consider Ariston , Indesit , Tenkei , Elba , EF .

BTW why not get a package ? Hob , Hood , Oven package which i think the price may be better :) as most brands have :)

KM