Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sixer

Our Contemporary Attempt

A very big wave.gif to all the renotalkers. Joined this forum a couple of months back and have been lurking around since. Got no time to really sit down and start a blog until today... or maybe it's because we're lazy.. lol.. 8|

Floor plan:

floorplanonly.jpg

Realized that this layout is pretty common (some of the renotalkers have the same layout) but we love it. Squarish, little floor space wastage, spacious bedrooms which are not in funny places and has high potential for walk in wardrobes in the master bedroom. We are already the official owners for the house but will only start the renovation probably end of this month.

We should be engaging contractors as we know what we want to do. Approach and direction taken would be towards contemporary as we both like the clean sleek lines, smooth textures and polished metal feel. As this is our first house and first renovation, any advice and feedbacks are welcomed! The layout, after many rounds of changes and brainstorming, has already been finalized. Will upload it soon. The next step for us now is to confirm our contractor. Been to a few IDs and quite a number of contractors. The final 2 that we have shortlisted are superstar contractors from renotalk and i guess most of you know who they are :P Mr Yeak and Ah Soon. In our opinion:

Mr Yeak - Reasonable pricing, looks honest and reliable. Very impressed by his workmanship, especially by his tiling. Feels quite connected with him when we tell him what we want to do. Can tell that he knows what we want by his response and inputs.

Ah Soon - Very attractive pricing and looked very sincere and honest. Lots of room for improvement for his time management and workmanship. Close supervision and monitoring required during the renovation period. But for the price he offers, i think it's acceptable. Will provide us with more inputs on practicality then design.

1 vote for Mr Yeak from her and 1 vote for Ah Soon from me. After many many rounds of discussions, comparisons and compromises, we think that we most probably will go for Mr Yeak. Willing to pay more for better workmanship and lesser involvement (lesser headaches). Have not officially confirmed with him yet but think he's the one already. Just hope that his final qoute won't deviate too much from our budget, give us more discounts and we can start soon. :yeah:

Next up: Finalized layout and things to do

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

hi!! welcome!! Rondy's place is becoming an attraction haha...hubby was also impressed with rondy's place...

What you gonna do for your place? and what's the quotation like?

Mine start today!!!

Hihi!

missed out seeing u on saturday when we went Rondy's place.

love ur layout! so spacious :dribble:

oh.. you were at Rondy's place too? So i assume you went to hougang before that too? hee...

Congrats! Yeak is becoming the next superstar on RT now! :D

yeah. i wonder whether he knows that. lol

Your space beams with possibility. Can do a lot cos not much weird corners. Would love to see the completed works. :)

i promise i will try to upload more pics during the process and when it's done. thank you too for your warm hospitality last week. So i assume your renovation is seven seven eight eight liao?

hi!! welcome!! Rondy's place is becoming an attraction haha...hubby was also impressed with rondy's place...

What you gonna do for your place? and what's the quotation like?

Mine start today!!!

rondy has become the official spokesman for yeak already. :thumbs up:

Hi sixer!welcome to the blog,and thanks for your muffins!very nice especially the banana favour! :good:

Remember to post your house picture before renovation here.

don't mention it. thanks for your time as well! actually i have a few pics of the current condition but think will not post it cause it's too messy. will wait for the sellers to move out before i take some nice pics for you guys. ;)

Congrates on ur new home and for choosing Yeak as ur contractor! Heheheeh, I had no regrets choosing him so far. :P

My place handover more than a month liao. Last weekend, I emailed him regarding some stuff, and the next day, he dropped by to take a look and gave some advice! :good: after sales service. :)

oh.. you were at Rondy's place too? So i assume you went to hougang before that too? hee...

Nope only went rondy's place cos I havent call Yeak yet. How's the hougang one? also by Yeak?

Edited by newnyew

Hello...

I hv been reading renoTalk forums for quite sometime. Seen like Uncle Ah Soon & Mr Yeak are well recommended by a lot of u here. Mind to PM me their contacts for future ref.

Thank you... :D

Congrates on ur new home and for choosing Yeak as ur contractor! Heheheeh, I had no regrets choosing him so far. :P

My place handover more than a month liao. Last weekend, I emailed him regarding some stuff, and the next day, he dropped by to take a look and gave some advice! :good: after sales service. :)

yeah, heard about the great after sales service from rondy too :thumbs up:

Love ur squarish layout too :)

look fwd to see more pic soon :)

thx! will try to upload as much pics as possible as i dont like to talk much also. hahaha

your living room and other rooms is very big. definitely a lot of space for a WIW. congrats

thx! WIW is always a dream for her :wub:

Nope only went rondy's place cos I havent call Yeak yet. How's the hougang one? also by Yeak?

yep. done by him. that unit left painting and kitchen worktop so if you want better make an appointment with yeak quick before the hand over.

Hello...

I hv been reading renoTalk forums for quite sometime. Seen like Uncle Ah Soon & Mr Yeak are well recommended by a lot of u here. Mind to PM me their contacts for future ref.

Thank you... :D

PMed. Although i believe others will PM you too. This is a forum filled with friendly and nice people ;)

Our Finalized Layout

The unit was actually renovated by the previous owners about 7 years ago. Condition is consider ok but design is bit dated. Will be keeping the marble flooring in the living, dining and bedrooms. Windows and grills will also stay. There are built in wardrobes in all the rooms but will be removed except room 2 which we are still contemplating on whether to keep or replace.

Initial Plan:

layout1y.jpg

Layout was planned by us and drawn by an ID that we approach earlier. Some of the major things that we want to do:

• Hack wall between store rm and mbr for U-shape WIW
  • Hack 1/2 wall between rm 3 and living and replace with tempered glass. (Open concept study room)
  • Overhaul kitchen and 2 bathrooms
  • Relocate the door of mbr and rm 3 (fully utilize the space between the 2 rooms. wahaha)
  • Relocate store room to kitchen (don't need such a big kitchen)
  • Relocate entrance of common toilet. (shower area can be inside)
  • Feature wall + TV Console between balcony and living. (privacy is important to us)
  • Side table + dressing table + tv console in mbr
  • Low cabinet and worktop under tempered glass in study room
  • Shoe cabinet in balcony
  • U-shape kitchen cabinet

Finalized Plan (hopefully):

layout2.jpg

Again, after many rounds of discussions and occasionally some arguments, this is what we had agree upon:

• Hack wall between store rm and mbr for U-shape WIW
  • Hack 1/2 wall between rm 3 and living and replace with tempered glass. (Open concept study room) not practical in the long run.
  • Overhaul kitchen and 2 bathrooms
  • Relocate the door of mbr and rm 3 (fully utilize the space between the 2 rooms. wahaha) hacking of walls and door frames will damage the marble flooring. although patchable but will not look as nice.
  • Relocate store room to kitchen (don't need such a big kitchen)
  • Relocate entrance of common toilet. (shower area can be inside)
  • Feature wall + TV Console between balcony and living. (privacy is important to us)
  • Side table + dressing table + tv console in mbr side table reduce to 2 ft each and dressing move into WIW
  • Low cabinet and worktop under tempered glass in study room layout change to U shape cause no more open concept
  • Shoe cabinet in balcony extended to L shape to cover pipe + extra storage
  • U-shape kitchen cabinet layout change to L cause space beside fridge is too small to be useful anyway

Coming up: False ceiling and lighting plan