Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Mickey M

Somewhere Over The Rainbow In Jurong West~~

You may or maynot regret later stage.. as the room size already very small ... yet you expand bigger for living hall. Making the room even smaller...

If you going to sell the house ... only youngster will appreciate the renovation but not for normal buyers.

Very nice concept... hope you house is showcase in the magazine or on tv later stage.~!

Cheers~!

Morning Goobii,

To finalise and decide on such a design, it takes time and careful planning. In any reno planning, I believe the most impt stage is activity planning and how much time u spend in dividual living space. This will determine how much space u need in each living area.

For example, there are instances where the family is big but the living room area is not big enough to put sofa seats for everyone. Some have to sit on the floor. In general, for a family of 6 members (consider large family these days), the total sofa area should be abt 12 ft (abt 360cm) in total so that everyone can sit comfortably. Another example is what kind of activity each family member does in their own room. Mostly 'light' activities like sleeping only? Or 'heavy' activities like watching TV? This will determine the room configuration. There are many many other factors to consider also. Like what kind of things u intend to display in the living rooms/bedrooms, light cooking or heavy cooking, etc. Too many factors to think, consider and come to a conclusion. For most, I guess it all boils down to IDs/contractors coming out with a drawing and that is it. Mostly see the drawing is nice and accepted it. Sufficient thinking on the owners' part might be lacking.

Anyway, in my case, I will not have any TV in the rooms at all. Cos the rooms are meant for resting/sleeping and other light activities. None of us have the habit of reading in the room too. If u see my floorplan, I have a main living hall and a mini living room. I have cater 2 TVs which is sufficient. Living rooms are the areas where we spend most of our awaking time at. Most activities are done here, be it reading or spending hrs watching tv/playing games or surfing net. There is a desktop working area which can't really tell from the floorplan. So a decent living space is essential for the whole living rooms. We like to have plants in the hm. So we need an area within the hm space for potted plants too. That is where the 'created' balcony is for. For the bedrooms, I have a minimum of 6 fts for customised wardrobes for each room which is sufficient for us. And there is no problem in putting a queen size bed in the 2 smaller rooms. We have layouts for the rooms to ensure there are sufficient space for what we need in the rooms actually. And a smaller area creates a more intimate environment and that is what we are going for. Too many big items in bedrooms will create a 'noisy' environment which in general, is not so suitable for resting.

And this hdb we are not going to sell in the long run cos we are not able to meet the criteria to buy a hdb anymore. In any case, we will have a hdb to fall back on. I do admit that only youngsters will probably appreciate it not only becos of the layout but the theme we are going for.

After all, It is really a matter of preference and personal needs. Hee. :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi guys,

Sorry for the lack of updates!

Lightings! Here goes:

1. Main living hall

Swarovski crystal lights for the main centre part of the round false ceiling!

DSCF2601.jpg

The outer ring will be using rope lights to create a round covelight effect. Round it off with some downlights for this living space. The focus will be on the swarovski lights. Hee.

2. Mini living room

Hard to tell from this pic but the shape is something like a mushroom head. The shape introduce a 'fun' factor la. Hee.

DSCF2611.jpg

3. Kitchen

As we have an open concept kitchen, ID feel it is more appropriate to have a more elaborate lighting to match it. So we chose this. The shape matches our kitchen wall tiles too.

DSCF2613.jpg

Area will have some downlights too. For the lightings on top of the dining area, we will use downlights too, but layout will be abit unconventional. Will take photo after it is done up.

5. MBR Toilet

DSCF2612.jpg

Our pumpkin shaped lamp.

6. Common Toilet and Storeroom

Will be getting a globe shaped ceiling lamp from IKEA. Can't find the pic of the lamp from IKEA website. We just love round stuffs. :D

7. 'Garden' or 'balcony' area

DSCF2610.jpg

A simple lamp. :)

Next few months will be eating bread liao. :P

Edited by Mickey M

Hi Mickey M, I love the Swarovski crystal lights for your round false ceiling! May I ask how many bulbs for the false ceiling and how much does it cost you?

Hi. For the system (2 types of installation method) I bought, the default cost for 36 bulbs is abt $3k (exact cost is $2.9k something something, don't have the invoice with me at the moment). The default set comes with 2 kind of crystals. The other shapes of crystals have to buy separately. I bought 36 bulbs for my round false ceiling.

Edited by Mickey M

Thanks for the info!

So sad~ Its way over my budget.. :wacko: I will definitely consider if its <$1.5K. Din know its so expensive..

They are swarovski crystals, that explain the cost. Hmm, maybe u can consider getting a 6 or 12 stars for ur own cosy bedroom or place it at a smaller area? It is much cheaper. Or u can choose to use egyptian crystals, also cheaper. At my ID's design house, he have both kind of crystals on display at 2 different areas. Other than the lights from swarovski crystals are nicer and the crystals probably abit more sparkle, it is really more or less the same. Hmm, if u really like. maybe u can consider egyptian crystals. Hope this helps. :)

hi mickey,

where did you get your lightings from, other than the IKEA one and the crystal one?

LV

Hi Lord,

Other than IKEA, I got most of my lights from Lightology. The other shop is Home of Lights. Both are located at Balestier.

mickey m, i love the swarovski crystals lightings but it is way above my budget... :(

good choice of lightings!! :D

Thanks gal. Actually from day one, we already told our ID we want to have the crystal lights - my wifey just love it so... no choice. Ha. Other than that, my lights are pretty simple one. Like for the bedrooms, one of the room will be empty for now. So chosen a decent cheap one. And one of the room is left for parents. They prefer something more 'glass' look. Choosing lights are really tiring! U haven't choose ur lights since reno not starting on 23rd rite? Hehe, it is really tiring when u go shop shop. Hee.

Thanks gal. Actually from day one, we already told our ID we want to have the crystal lights - my wifey just love it so... no choice. Ha. Other than that, my lights are pretty simple one. Like for the bedrooms, one of the room will be empty for now. So chosen a decent cheap one. And one of the room is left for parents. They prefer something more 'glass' look. Choosing lights are really tiring! U haven't choose ur lights since reno not starting on 23rd rite? Hehe, it is really tiring when u go shop shop. Hee.

haha.. good hubby! :D

yes.. we went to my sis's fren lighting shop once.. our necks become so sore.. hahaa...

yup, reno hvn't start... hv to choose aircon first.. can only do it on next sat...

haha.. good hubby! :D

yes.. we went to my sis's fren lighting shop once.. our necks become so sore.. hahaa...

yup, reno hvn't start... hv to choose aircon first.. can only do it on next sat...

Good hubby la... Actually, I saved some cost elsewhere to buy the crystals lights for her. :P

U got lighting lobang, gd! I bet u can get a gd gd price for your lightings.

I see many electrical stores on christmas sales now. I bought my aircon from Gain City. If I waited till now, at least can take part in their 'twist & Win' promo. For aircon, I believe usually the first thing to consider is whether u are a heavy or light user. If u are not those who on air con every nite, inverter is not a must actually. Secondly, the brand. And in my case, whether u mind how the split unit looks like or not. Ha. :)

Good hubby la... Actually, I saved some cost elsewhere to buy the crystals lights for her. :P

U got lighting lobang, gd! I bet u can get a gd gd price for your lightings.

I see many electrical stores on christmas sales now. I bought my aircon from Gain City. If I waited till now, at least can take part in their 'twist & Win' promo. For aircon, I believe usually the first thing to consider is whether u are a heavy or light user. If u are not those who on air con every nite, inverter is not a must actually. Secondly, the brand. And in my case, whether u mind how the split unit looks like or not. Ha. :)

hehe.. thanks for the advice.

we are def not heavy user for aircon.. likely to get non inverter ones.. :P