Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
El Nino_Al Nito

El Nino's Anfield

Haven leh. where is that search engine ah.. :P

I haven go see formica also. I go see liao then i decide.

hehe, i went for EDL cos of the patterns they have available. if u go their showroom at sungei kadut, can ask for samples and their catalogue also got the price list of all their laminates. :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

RENO PROCESS - Kitchen Counter Tops

Granite top for my cooking zone

IMG_0634.jpg

Using Indian Black Galaxy Granite Top.

Corian top for my wet/preparation zone

IMG_0656.jpg

Using Corian Antartica Solid Top.

^^ Samy jie, u macam batman. We SOS, u so onz give answers liao. Wahahaha...:bleah:

Hey El Nino,

Sam is the 'undisputed' champion here, hahaha.

By the way, have you sought approval for the World Cup party from thy wifey?

Cheers.

Zelly zelly: More teasers to come! I very shy to put up the almost completed jobs coz havent clean yet. :D

Samy jie: U able to response at night also. U are really like batman wor...or shd i say batgal? :unsure:

Doing painting touch up and 2nd round cleaning next week! HO and World Cup so close! Arghhh...i think im gna succumb and sign up for the World Cup! :P

I cant make out from your sneak peek. Why cant you shoot the entire piece? I thought the rosy ones look nice though.

Cheers.

:lol:...u are sharp! Indeed, im using EDL new edging laminates! Maybe im the first 2 coz i went to their showroom in March.

i love the contrasting look it gives. So sleek and clean cut hor. :dribble:

i think its more costly then normal but i managed to convince Mr Yeak to give me at normal price. :sport-smiley-004:

ur cabinets are white as well?

What in the world is EDL?

i didnt check out Formica so cant say leh...but if u wna kiasu abit, 2mm is very safe for glossy laminates. in terms of avoiding waviness la. i didnt see any 2mm for EDL tho.

Hmm...have u initiated resident search engine yet? :P

sorry, search engine is limited in knowledge on this. :D

i took some EDL, some Jennings and some Greenlam's laminates. all almost the same lah. Formica is the most expensive lor so if u hv the budget u can go for it, if not the rest are also jus fine. i dun rmb 2mm for EDL but maybe i forgot. it's better to check with their catalogue. I did rmb seeing 1.8mm...IIRC.

but according to some old birds in RT, the thicker the laminates the less chance of waviness....

England: EDL is the brand for laminates.

Edited by samgalz

RENO PROCESS - Kitchen Counter Tops

Granite top for my cooking zone

IMG_0634.jpg

Using Indian Black Galaxy Granite Top.

Corian top for my wet/preparation zone

IMG_0656.jpg

Using Corian Antartica Solid Top.

Oh man, this kitchen top is nice.

i took some EDL, some Jennings and some Greenlam's laminates. all almost the same lah. Formica is the most expensive lor so if u hv the budget u can go for it, if not the rest are also jus fine. i dun rmb 2mm for EDL but maybe i forgot. it's better to check with their catalogue. I did rmb seeing 1.8mm...IIRC.

but according to some old birds in RT, the thicker the laminates the less chance of waviness....

Only Formica have 2mm or thicker. But this is only for my tv console actually, as I wanted a black and white full gloss piece. My contractor said need thicker laminates or else he won't wan to attempt to do with Black or White solid gloss :bleah: at least he tell us lah...

My MBR we are using almost normal thickness of 0.8mm and we want to use those laminates with textured wood effects. I think i saw in one of my contractor's Laminate books. He also show us the cost of those non branded ones to show us the price difference of different laminates.

Hey champion, got it. Thanks.

Do you ask your ID for the specific brand of laminates? Or there's a specific brand that your ID is using for all reno projects? El Nino seems to tell the Yeak chief that the brand he wants for his kitchen cabinets. Which is the one that is commonly used? The conclusion is the thicker the laminates, the better it is able to prevent warping?

Have a good weekend!

Cheers.

Do you ask your ID for the specific brand of laminates? Or there's a specific brand that your ID is using for all reno projects? El Nino seems to tell the Yeak chief that the brand he wants for his kitchen cabinets. Which is the one that is commonly used? The conclusion is the thicker the laminates, the better it is able to prevent warping?

Have a good weekend!

Cheers.

I think only formaca (not sure spell correct or not) got 2mm. Yes the thicker , chances of warping is lesser.

But sometime also depend on the guy who install it.

Have a good weekend!

Cheers.

This is what was explained to me by my contractor. The usual thickness is 0.5 or 0.8mm. If the plywood board is not really tat smooth, when u glue the thin laminates, it will take contour of the plywood board. For non gloss laminates this is not so much of a concern cos the uneveness is hardly noticable, but for gloss pieces it is like looking into a mirror and the reflection will appear wavy. To reduce this effects, thicker laminates, >1mm are used. The thicker the less dependent on the even-ness of the plywood board surface. The down side is u have visible joint lines. This means u have to invest in edgings to give u a better finish(correct me if i am wrong).

As I want thicker high black and white gloss laminates and these 2 colors are the most unforgiving for warping effect, my contractor has suggested formica. Else for non gloss laminates he told me 0.8 good enough, and can use his no brand laminate book to find the designsi like. For many laminates brand they come in normal and post form (I only know can use for counter top or table).

Like wat Simon said, thicker laminates helps that much only, end of the day it really depends on the person who install it.

So far i read jennings and formica has abit of scratch resistance built into the laminates. I do not know about the rest though. My main carpentry will be on the tv console so we decided to invest more on it.

Hey

How about this for your 5.1 speakers (Focal Dome)

Focal-Dome-5-1-Speaker-Package-Red-.jpg

If u are seriously interested, that range is available in Asia Sound (Adelphi) but not sure they carry the red color range though...:)

I was told the sound is not bad as well....pricing?..use u bargaining charm

Edited by wcseow

Have a good weekend!

Cheers.

nope we did not. he passed us the books and we choose according to the ones we like. but more popular ones seems to be Jennings and EDL

GG: Wow! So red the focal domes! So suitable for my private Anfield room!!! :dribble:

Will scout for this for sure. Thanks!

England: Indeed, u can tell ur contractor ur preferred choice of laminates, tiles, surface top etc etc. Its ur call really since u are the one paying. For me, Mr Yeak gave some alternatives to widen my choices but due to RT and the internet, i had done plenty of research prior to all this and pretty much had my mind and heart set on specifics. Of course, to have better quality, u have to be willing to pay more dude. :)

And as detailed by SuperSimon, Zelly Zelly and Samy jie, thicker laminates are better as described but it also depends alot on the skills of the carpenter. But in case u do intend to pay extra, do note that thicker laminates are more suited for glossy laminates then those textured ones as these glossy laminates show up the waviness in more obvious ways then the textured ones.