Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
coldflamez

Finally! Our Cosy Sty...

pics' size looks alright to me though.

and the condition looks great even though its an old house it seems! :P

Have adjusted and grouped some of the pics for easy viewing.. The condition was not too bad, just old i guess...

Here is the last set of photos of the original house. All the rooms are squarish, so not much problem there. Will be knocking down the wall between bedroom 1 and 2 to create a bigger master room. Will also create a opening directly to the bathroom from the enlarged bedroom.

bedrooms.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

On the same day that we signed the quotation with our contractor, Alan, he drove us immediately to Soon Bee Huat (SBH) Showroom at Toh Guan Road for us to choose our tiles! We were a bit pleasantly surprised by how efficient he was. He told us that once we selected the tiles, he could immediately apply for the HDB permit and start the hacking work once it was approved.

Over at the SBH, the variety was really good and the best part was that there was a giantic showroom on the whole of the second floor to show how the tiles could be used.. Liked it a lot as it gave us a clearer picture of the full effect of using certain tiles...

After spending a few hours there, we finally decided on the homogeneous tiles below:

Tiles.jpg

The greyish tile in the left picture was supposed to be used for the living and kitchen, and the dark blue tile for the utility room as we wanted to go for something unique... The wooden-like tiles were to be used for our bathroom, toilet and vanity area. But we had a change of mind a few days after selecting the tile and decided in the end to use glossy white tiles for the living room, and the grey one for both kitchen and utility. Luckily, our contractor allowed us to change the dark blue tiles. That's a gd point that we liked abt him, he was quite flexible and accommodated us when we had a change of ideas, provided that the work has not been done already. :)

Ok, just adding the after-hacking pics before i zzz.... Progress was quite fast, all these hacking and clearing of debris in 1 day.

HackedLiving.jpg

HackedKitchen.jpg

Edited by coldflamez

Here is the revised layout. Will be hacking between 2 bedrooms to create a big bedroom and also will be creating a opening to the bathroom. As this is an old flat, there is only 1 separate bathroom and 1 separate toilet... But it's fine for me as i grew up in a similar layout.

RevisedLayout.jpg

Hi coldflamez,

Welcome!! I noticed from your revised layout that you are going to have a big mbr. I like big rooms. Hee.. But there's also 2 doors drawn on the layout. Are you going to seal up 1 of the door to the new big mbr?

For me, I would seal up 1 of the doors and alter the door position of the other room to maximize the room space. :)

Hi coldflamez,

Welcome!! I noticed from your revised layout that you are going to have a big mbr. I like big rooms. Hee.. But there's also 2 doors drawn on the layout. Are you going to seal up 1 of the door to the new big mbr?

For me, I would seal up 1 of the doors and alter the door position of the other room to maximize the room space. :)

We have thought of sealing one of the doors but decided not to as that will reduce ventilation... We like the location precisely because it is quite windy, so decided to just live with the 2 doors loh...

how much did you spend on your reno?

Think we spent around 23k in total, including laminate flooring which was done by another contractor. This was the second lowest quote that we got. The lowest quote we got was actually from a neighbourhood shop in yishun (by around 1 or 2k), but we didn't have as much confidence in that contractor. We had more confidence in Alan as he did some reno work for my wife's company before, so we knew that his standard was quite good. If we had gone with an ID, think it would have easily costed us extra 5k for the same items done...

Think we spent around 23k in total, including laminate flooring which was done by another contractor. This was the second lowest quote that we got. The lowest quote we got was actually from a neighbourhood shop in yishun (by around 1 or 2k), but we didn't have as much confidence in that contractor. We had more confidence in Alan as he did some reno work for my wife's company before, so we knew that his standard was quite good. If we had gone with an ID, think it would have easily costed us extra 5k for the same items done...

Congrats on your new home~! :) wow seems like your contractor is quite efficient le, would you pm me his contact? Currently very blur with reno... dunno how to start!

Thanks!! :)

Congrats on your new home~! :) wow seems like your contractor is quite efficient le, would you pm me his contact? Currently very blur with reno... dunno how to start!

Thanks!! :)

Sure, pm sent to you and also to Velv. :)

Think i should hurry up to post more pictures of the final product, haha....

We have thought of sealing one of the doors but decided not to as that will reduce ventilation... We like the location precisely because it is quite windy, so decided to just live with the 2 doors loh...

I think the 2 doors of the MBR will look more harmonized if you switch the way they are opened. The left door should be hinged to the left and the right door to the right. Imagine it to be a grand opening door to a castle.

23k is a good deal. did you do a lot of carpentry? look forward to see your completed reno pics... :D

Hi.. congrats on ur new home.. i jus got key yesterday.. look like u spend vy resonable price ? may i noe ur flar is how many sqm ? may i have ur contact of ur contractor ? really appreciate ur reply.. i have one quote fr one design Id is 30k :( . my flat is 4 rm flat.. budget vy tight lei..

I think the 2 doors of the MBR will look more harmonized if you switch the way they are opened. The left door should be hinged to the left and the right door to the right. Imagine it to be a grand opening door to a castle.

That's a good idea! But too bad we cant position it that way because there is a pillar in between the doors... So both doors will open in towards the pillar instead..

23k is a good deal. did you do a lot of carpentry? look forward to see your completed reno pics... :D

Yup, we think so too. :D

Other than the kitchen cabinet, we did a platform for the bed, a built in wardrobe, a low cupboard and another cupboard/settee besides the bed... Think easier to understand from the pic itself, haha...