Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
froggy

My Second Home At Fernvale Vista

The rooms in our estate is actually very small.

IMO 2 downlights on 2 opposite sides should be sufficient.

The downlight in my judgement is based on those 2 bulb per downlight type.

If yours is just 1 bulb per downlight then maybe 8 isnt too much.

We can also check with 15fifteenmay after she has moved in. ;)

Saw my name ! :P

i using one normal light for the 2 rooms. seems bright enough. I take pic for you to see tonight

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

i using one normal light for the 2 rooms. seems bright enough. I take pic for you to see tonight

do you mean ceiling light?

ok will be awaiting yr pix

yup yup, cos usually e 1 in e hall will not b turn on unless there's a party / gathering, so usage wise is minimal. 8 dn lights per rm ah? e bed rm is not big, 8 dn lights dun u tink it's a bit.. too many? :unsure:

you are quite right. the 8 lights break down as 2 lights per side, ie there will be 4 light switches. So usually my guess is only need to turn on 4. But just put in the rest for a complete and balanced look. also just in case, bc if don't fix next time need cannot add already- because will be "giving" a room each to the 2 girls when they are ready, so not sure how furniture will be arranged by then . so kiasu abit now ...

i suppose price match for everything sold from the shop? :unsure:

went down to lighting.com today, and they confirm the lowest price guarantee policy. so looks safe to get fan from them?

thinking of the elfa sunflower fan for the hall, but tagged at a whopping $594 in lighting.com. Anyone come across than fan at a lower price? Thought try my luck with everjoint, but no luck, they don't carry.

btw their downlights around $25 to $27, but will look around for even lower ones since still got time. Anyone been to this place called Tradehub in boon lay? Anything good there?

chim? ok lah. you can read up on colour theory if you are keen as the ideals are well established and is design_module101 for all designer and art students. the colours' relationship are based on their respective position on the colour wheel.

if i have false ceiling and cove light, i will not use 2 colours for the ceiling, especially if the room concern is a small one. i want to create an impression that the ceiling is 'flushed', hence larger than it really is. using the same colour for both ceilings will help to do that. however, if you really insist on 2 colours, the higher' ceiling should have a lighter colour than the 'lower' one. then, the 'higher' ceiling will give the impression of raising further away from you (think of a dome or skylight, where the dome/skylight always feels lighter due to space and light).

with regard to the wall colours in the mbr, yes, that's what i mean.

there's no proper order involved, any solution is fine - if you know what you are doing. personally, i will go by this order:

1. identify the item i want to highlight or feature (could be the bed, the laminate or even the wall). in your case, you may have choosen the laminate.

2. choose the colours that go well with the highlight or feature (eg. laminate). identify the dominant colour of the feature and work out the complementary colours.

3. using the complementary colours as the guide, you can pick the wall colours, bed frame, colours, table lamps colours, etc easily.

ok thanks for explaning. Will bear that in mind when i choose paint colour

hall 5

mbr 4

rooms 8 each = 16

total 25

alot right? the 2 rooms are the killer, because no cove light so totally relying on the downlight. Actually I think no need so many, but 8 is because 2 per side. If only use 1 per side, sure not enough, if some walls 1 some walls 2, it may look uneven, so in the end we settle for 8 lor. You think it's overkill?

But I dont think we need to turn on all 8, maybe 4 will do, depending on which part of the room we are using. So the rest are for a complete look only

:jawdrop:

i feel that 8 down lights in a room is alot! think 4 will be gd...

went down to lighting.com today, and they confirm the lowest price guarantee policy. so looks safe to get fan from them?

thinking of the elfa sunflower fan for the hall, but tagged at a whopping $594 in lighting.com. Anyone come across than fan at a lower price? Thought try my luck with everjoint, but no luck, they don't carry.

btw their downlights around $25 to $27, but will look around for even lower ones since still got time. Anyone been to this place called Tradehub in boon lay? Anything good there?

their downlights so ex? i remember seeing some selling at $17-$20.

me also planning to use normal light for 2 rooms. If whole hse downlight, gonna cost a bomb...

you are quite right. the 8 lights break down as 2 lights per side, ie there will be 4 light switches. So usually my guess is only need to turn on 4. But just put in the rest for a complete and balanced look. also just in case, bc if don't fix next time need cannot add already- because will be "giving" a room each to the 2 girls when they are ready, so not sure how furniture will be arranged by then . so kiasu abit now ...

ya, after reno then decide to add in oso too late. spore style, kiasu a bit no harm. lol..

ok, maybe I can highlight why we choose to do downlight in room?

You see, my children's tables will be against the wall. so if I use ceiling light, then light source will be behind them when they work, right? To me, this is no good for their eyes. Also i worry if one ceiling light is enough to power the whole room??

since i want light to be coming from infront, the only option left is - 1) table light, or 2) downlight. Personally, as a child, I remember table lights being very near my eyes for comfort, so i choose option 2 lor.

and so, since i need downlights, I will need at least 2 per side (their table is side by side). But in case in future their table is going to be shifted to other walls, i also need to cater lights there, just in case.

so you see, that's how we end up with 8 downlights in 2 rooms :bangwall:

and that's why I am now hunting down shops with cheap downlights .. anyone with lobang, please share share ok :P

Square White Downlight

2 X Osram PLC 13w

2 x Atco Ballast(australia)

Price:$19.00

lightings.com.sg

or u may wanna check out A lighting Enterprise at 463 geylang rd

Samgalz bought her lighting there. Since u need so many, mayb they can give u a gd price?

You see, my children's tables will be against the wall. so if I use ceiling light, then light source will be behind them when they work, right? To me, this is no good for their eyes. Also i worry if one ceiling light is enough to power the whole room??

since i want light to be coming from infront, the only option left is - 1) table light, or 2) downlight. Personally, as a child, I remember table lights being very near my eyes for comfort, so i choose option 2 lor.

and so, since i need downlights, I will need at least 2 per side (their table is side by side). But in case in future their table is going to be shifted to other walls, i also need to cater lights there, just in case.

and that's why I am now hunting down shops with cheap downlights .. anyone with lobang, please share share ok :P

1 ceiling light is definitely enough for whole room. however, your concern for the child is valid as the ceiling light will cast a shadow if it is a light source behind them. having said that, downlight isn't the solution to your problem. a proper study lamp is still the best source of light for your intended purposes. not sure how old you are, but lamps in the older days (circa 1980s) can't be compared to the lights of today as technology has changed quite a fair bit. the discomfort you felt probably came from the glare of the lamps. a proper study lamp isn't glaring, is able to direct light at the right places and is better than a downlight or ceiling light in performing its role as a study lamp.

if you are willing to spend a bit more, you can consider the koncept lamp z bar.

konceptledlight.jpg

or this year's reddot design award winner, the studylite:

BPL_Studylight2.jpg

Edited by floppy

Square White Downlight

2 X Osram PLC 13w

2 x Atco Ballast(australia)

Price:$19.00

lightings.com.sg

or u may wanna check out A lighting Enterprise at 463 geylang rd

Samgalz bought her lighting there. Since u need so many, mayb they can give u a gd price?

i heard my name. :D

ya, froggy. i bought my lights from A lightings. u can check the lights and fans with them. they do carry fans and some are reasonable pricing.

One ceiling light is enough for the room, n worries on that. jus make sure for their rooms u hv to get cool white to make sure it's bright. warm white has yellow tint, not good for studies. my son's room i will also hv a table there for him. going to be up against the wall as well. will be getting study lamp for him cos regardless whether down or ceiling lights, a good study lamp is sure to be better. but hubby is saying likely my son is going to use the dining table for work....hahaha...

Froggy, we went in to JB to buy and it's 40 RM per downlight with bulbs. i agree that table lamp is better... :) for my guest rooms i only have 1 lamp with 3 blubs..

are these the sumsung LED? which series? Due to budget constraints, think we can only settle for one tv at the moment, since he wanted LED. Actually I don't mind LG, since it's technology is up and coming, but hubby prefers sumsung - he thinks better colour - but to me, all tv are the same, can watch can liao :D

btw can share how much you pay for the 2 tvs? We still haven't booked, hoping for price to drop some more

froggy,

i'm of the same thoughts as you!! all tv looks the same to me.. hahhaa

My sharp 46" is 1550, Hitachi 42" with dvd recordable is 1450. both 100 Hz.

My friend brought a 46" LG LED at 100 Hz with Blue ray player for 3K