Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
froggy

My Second Home At Fernvale Vista

u can find the lights in my T-blog. i dun hv downlights. all ceiling lights, 3 of them are hanging lights.

ok ok, just checked yr blog.

what colour bulb did you use for the hanging lights?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
hi floppy

so funny froggy and floppy .. :o

what is an advancing colour? anyway, no la, don't think i want an orange bedroom - too bright (you are right, will keep me up all night), but brown is alittle dark too. Any suggestions of bedroom colours that are cosy, soothing yet not to loud, not to gloomy? esp for a small room?

check also, do you all paint your room walls and ceiling one colour? Thought of using a different ceiling colour, or maybe a room with walls of 2 different colours.

last, what goes with orange, other than beige? For kitchen, If I maintain the orange (or red) for glass backing, and want the 2 colour cabinets like what gals mama suggested, what can go well? Mine is a black galaxy worktop.

yah, i notice the names when i read your blog too :D

in basic colour theory, warm colours, ie. red, orange, yellow, are advancing colours. in painting/design, they are seen as the more 'active' elements (advancing towards you). when used in interior design, these colours arouse and stimulate the viewer (hence, the comment about keeping you awake). they 'advanced', literally, encroaching on your space, thus making a small room smaller (but great when used in a big room, as they can give a cosy feel).

with regard to ceiling, white is the safest colour to go. otherwise, go with pale variants of receding colours, ie. blue, green. being the direct opposite of the above, receding colours (cool colours) move away from you, making your roof seems taller (hence, reducing the effect of the roof crashing down on you or 'the weight on your shoulders' feeling).

for a room with 4 walls, you can pick 1 wall as the accent wall (usually the wall behind your headboard or the one with a focal point). you can either pick a darker shade of the colours on the 3 walls, or reflect a colour in the room (perhaps the green of the vase for eg.), or pick a complementary colour of the dominant colour in the room. this should also solve the problem of brown being too dark. you can use it as the accent, with lighter shades to brighten up the room. btw, the colour you pick for the room really depends on the choice of your furniture/design.

the complementary colour for orange is actually blue. they will go well with each other.

the analogous colours for orange are red and yellow. being adjacent colours, they tend to blend into one another. good if you prefer subtlety and not the in-your-face kind of look.

Edited by floppy

ok ok, just checked yr blog.

what colour bulb did you use for the hanging lights?

living room is LED in warm white and the dining one is LED in cool white. MBR is energy saving warm white.

Congrats Froggy, on your collection of your keys.

Fernvale Vista certainly sounds familar :)

Finally located the Edmund's client at Fernvale.

I must apologise for Edmund, he was held up at my place last Sunday, sorry to keep you waiting.

After browsing your t-blog, I'm happy to find out that we share several common "want-to-buy" things :)

First, we officially signed on the dotted line with the contractor ... and he is none other than ... Edmund .. of .. ADecor! But that also signifies the start of our pocket burning ... !!

I've decided to engaged Edmund for this services as well, found him to be ernest. More importantly my fiancee I and felt comfortable with him. Just recieved a quotation from him not too long, thought not the cheapest amongst the rest, he did throw in some stuffs which i initially thought of getting on my own

Hi 15may

actually if you are not doing alot of drawers, it is not really that costly to do blum. Their hinges are only around $2 each. The drawers are more costly. For eg, a set of full extension tandem runner system (ie use only blum runners, but you get carpenter to fabricate the drawer) costs $45 (30kg) or $62 (50kg). multiply that by the number of drawers you want to have. So unless you are going to have all drawers, then price is not that much difference, imho.

I believe Edmund woul have shared about this Korean softclose mechanism?

It is available from excel, costs some $20 per runner, which is quite a savings from Blum.

we went to harvey norman today and the salesman said the same. infact, the salesman said a 40" is enough liao, 46' is already a little too big to be comfortable. So now he seems convinced that a 55" is too big, but I am hoping to bring him to accpet a 40" ...

May I share this website on viewing distance,

It may be a better guide to select your desire television screen size

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewing...calculator.html

and calculator to convert from inches to metres

Personally I'm eyeing on a 40" Sumsung series 7

Audio House maybe a good place to hunt for TVs, you may try your luck there ;)

Did you manage to secure the storage divan for your bed and the Electrolux Oven? hehe.

I'm eyeing on the above items as well. :P

Edited by dexufto

Hi Froggy,

We have brought 46" for living room and 42" for MBR. Think my glasses are getting thicker and thicker. You can try to see other heaters like ariston or Jovan too. We went to Mega to buy our tvs.. like their service. :)

Your Hb ok le... only want 55" tv. does he have specs for the tv as well? for my husband, he even went to the extend of looking at the contrast colour - saying something like the "black is not black enough"!! there's difference in 50 Hz and 100 Hz. on the image quality... we saw a 42" LG LCD at 200 Hz at 1399 at Mega. Quite a good buy you can go see see. actually in the market there are quite a few 42" tv of less 1000. but i feel mus also see specs ba.

yah, i notice the names when i read your blog too :D

in basic colour theory, warm colours, ie. red, orange, yellow, are advancing colours. in painting/design, they are seen as the more 'active' elements (advancing towards you). when used in interior design, these colours arouse and stimulate the viewer (hence, the comment about keeping you awake). they 'advanced', literally, encroaching on your space, thus making a small room smaller (but great when used in a big room, as they can give a cosy feel).

with regard to ceiling, white is the safest colour to go. otherwise, go with pale variants of receding colours, ie. blue, green. being the direct opposite of the above, receding colours (cool colours) move away from you, making your roof seems taller (hence, reducing the effect of the roof crashing down on you or 'the weight on your shoulders' feeling).

for a room with 4 walls, you can pick 1 wall as the accent wall (usually the wall behind your headboard or the one with a focal point). you can either pick a darker shade of the colours on the 3 walls, or reflect a colour in the room (perhaps the green of the vase for eg.), or pick a complementary colour of the dominant colour in the room. this should also solve the problem of brown being too dark. you can use it as the accent, with lighter shades to brighten up the room. btw, the colour you pick for the room really depends on the choice of your furniture/design.

the complementary colour for orange is actually blue. they will go well with each other.

the analogous colours for orange are red and yellow. being adjacent colours, they tend to blend into one another. good if you prefer subtlety and not the in-your-face kind of look.

wah, floppy, very chim leh .. but i will try to understand

ok, so for ceiling, best to do white or light colour. But if, say, we have false ceiling and cove light, ie ceiling is 2 heights, is there a way to make the "higher" ceiling look even taller and further away? ie is it a good idea to use 2 colours for the ceiling? If I use a lighter colour for the "lower ceiling" and a darker tone for the "higher ceiling", does it achieve that effect? Or vice versa?

sorry, I tried, but am totally lost amidst your explanation about wall colours in mbr. Do you mean to pick a colour for "headboard wall",then the other 3 walls of a darker tone of that first colour?

In this case, then means the headboard wall colour got to be light, otherwise the whole room will be really dark, isn't it?

oh, I thought it should be choose laminate colour first, then paint colour, and lastly bed frame colour?

living room is LED in warm white and the dining one is LED in cool white. MBR is energy saving warm white.

thanks. this reno process is very interesting - learn alot of new things. I used to think light is either white (like those flourescent tube), yellow (those round bulb) or the coloured ones. Did not know got so many types of white light .. :D

thanks. this reno process is very interesting - learn alot of new things. I used to think light is either white (like those flourescent tube), yellow (those round bulb) or the coloured ones. Did not know got so many types of white light .. :D

'

Me too! i had a list from ID of how many Warm White, Cool white and yellow light to buy! :rolleyes:

Congrats Froggy, on your collection of your keys.

Fernvale Vista certainly sounds familar :)

Finally located the Edmund's client at Fernvale.

I must apologise for Edmund, he was held up at my place last Sunday, sorry to keep you waiting.

Oh, wow, ya he did call to delay, so you are the culprit ah ... he he ... welcome! welcome! Where is your new place?

After browsing your t-blog, I'm happy to find out that we share several common "want-to-buy" things :)

oh, so what are you looking for? so far, i have cofirmed quite a few items already, so can share for easy price comparison. One of the most tiring exercise I find is going round shops to check pricing, so RT does make things easier!

I've decided to engaged Edmund for this services as well, found him to be ernest. More importantly my fiancee I and felt comfortable with him. Just recieved a quotation from him not too long, thought not the cheapest amongst the rest, he did throw in some stuffs which i initially thought of getting on my own

wor, can share what kind of stuffs he give? I also want lei

I believe Edmund woul have shared about this Korean softclose mechanism?

It is available from excel, costs some $20 per runner, which is quite a savings from Blum.

yes he did, but i still prefer blum. don't know if this is the right decision, we'll see ..

May I share this website on viewing distance,

It may be a better guide to select your desire television screen size

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewing...calculator.html

and calculator to convert from inches to metres

thanks,

Personally I'm eyeing on a 40" Sumsung series 7

Audio House maybe a good place to hunt for TVs, you may try your luck there

that's a 3D? Not cheap leh, now that he is convinced 55" is too big for our hall, he is diverting his attention to a 3D! And the two girls are on his side. But I think it's a wish only, just too $$ to afford at the moment, will prob settle for a 46" series 5

Did you manage to secure the storage divan for your bed and the Electrolux Oven? hehe.

I'm eyeing on the above items as well. :P

yup, these 2 items confirmed. which electrolux you eyeing on?

Hi Froggy,

We have brought 46" for living room and 42" for MBR. Think my glasses are getting thicker and thicker. You can try to see other heaters like ariston or Jovan too. We went to Mega to buy our tvs.. like their service. :)

Your Hb ok le... only want 55" tv. does he have specs for the tv as well? for my husband, he even went to the extend of looking at the contrast colour - saying something like the "black is not black enough"!! there's difference in 50 Hz and 100 Hz. on the image quality... we saw a 42" LG LCD at 200 Hz at 1399 at Mega. Quite a good buy you can go see see. actually in the market there are quite a few 42" tv of less 1000. but i feel mus also see specs ba.

are these the sumsung LED? which series? Due to budget constraints, think we can only settle for one tv at the moment, since he wanted LED. Actually I don't mind LG, since it's technology is up and coming, but hubby prefers sumsung - he thinks better colour - but to me, all tv are the same, can watch can liao :D

btw can share how much you pay for the 2 tvs? We still haven't booked, hoping for price to drop some more

Wed, 7 july 2010

more bookings had been made the last few days, but forgot to take photos, will post once available

1. kitchen tile - originally wanted to cut cost, just lay the extended portion with the kitchen tile originally provided, but Edmund was afraid that he cannot get the same colour, so best to get entirely new ones. Besides we did not really like the tiles, so well got to spend on this, plus hacking etc

2. marble - yes, finally decided on this too - it's a beige based one. Much as we wanted the 60x60, we can only afford 30x60. Hope it turns out well too.

3. aircon - also confirmed getting Mit 3 inverter plus single split. The single with 18k BTU, according to them, more than enough. Can check what BTU is your hall unit?

And one lesson i have learnt over and over - do not confirm any furniture until all trunking, power points etc fixed, then measure again to get the real dimension. Luckily we did not place any order for my girls' wardrobe, because they will probably not fit into the space due to aircon trunking. Also make sure you check all the beams etc, becase some wardrobes are higher and again, may not fit.

Right now,we are also going through the lighting plan for the house. looks like we are going to need 25 downlights! Help help - i need to find a place that sells the cheapest downlights now!

Wed, 7 july 2010

more bookings had been made the last few days, but forgot to take photos, will post once available

1. kitchen tile - originally wanted to cut cost, just lay the extended portion with the kitchen tile originally provided, but Edmund was afraid that he cannot get the same colour, so best to get entirely new ones. Besides we did not really like the tiles, so well got to spend on this, plus hacking etc

2. marble - yes, finally decided on this too - it's a beige based one. Much as we wanted the 60x60, we can only afford 30x60. Hope it turns out well too.

3. aircon - also confirmed getting Mit 3 inverter plus single split. The single with 18k BTU, according to them, more than enough. Can check what BTU is your hall unit?

And one lesson i have learnt over and over - do not confirm any furniture until all trunking, power points etc fixed, then measure again to get the real dimension. Luckily we did not place any order for my girls' wardrobe, because they will probably not fit into the space due to aircon trunking. Also make sure you check all the beams etc, becase some wardrobes are higher and again, may not fit.

Right now,we are also going through the lighting plan for the house. looks like we are going to need 25 downlights! Help help - i need to find a place that sells the cheapest downlights now!

so u getting ur aircon mit sys 3 inverter. so i presume ur single split is non inverter? 18k is e recommended btu i heard from most a/c sales guy, so it's ok. mine is sys 4 inverter, 3x9k for 3 rms n 1x24k for hall, but if i turn on more than 2 fancoils inclusive of the 1 in living rm, the btu will drop too since it's shared, so it's e same.. can use, feel cool, then ok la. lol.. :D

furnitures like sofa, dining table shd not b a problem ba? wardrobe ah, ya true, trunking need to consider or else will b a v big headache..

25 dn lights?! tat's a lot!!

wow, 25 downlights! tat's a lot!

Wow 25 seems like alot.

Can to share your how many downlights for each room? 11-6-4-4?

Oh, wow, ya he did call to delay, so you are the culprit ah ... he he ... welcome! welcome! Where is your new place?

oh, so what are you looking for? so far, i have cofirmed quite a few items already, so can share for easy price comparison. One of the most tiring exercise I find is going round shops to check pricing, so RT does make things easier!

wor, can share what kind of stuffs he give? I also want lei

yes he did, but i still prefer blum. don't know if this is the right decision, we'll see ..

that's a 3D? Not cheap leh, now that he is convinced 55" is too big for our hall, he is diverting his attention to a 3D! And the two girls are on his side. But I think it's a wish only, just too $$ to afford at the moment, will prob settle for a 46" series 5

yup, these 2 items confirmed. which electrolux you eyeing on?

Yes, I'm the culprit. Guilty as charged.

My place is a 3-room apt at Toa Payoh, check out my sig. :)

Items such as Oven; was considering between Electolux against Ariston. Brandit & Bosch seemed to be the hot pick but rather costly IMHO. My rational was to keep it below $899, a basic oven, 3-layered glass door (child safety) to serve our needs; not that we're going to use it everyday prob max once or twice a month.

I narrowed down to electrolux 53000 (off my budget), however I remembered seeing it letting go at $899 ONCE at courts.. I'm still bargain hunting.. heh. else will likely be a 31001.

Are you satisified with your oven purchase? :)

Likelywise, same rational for the soft-close system; Blum is nice to have but it's gonna rip a hole in my wallet. I'm cool with Excel, it's functional and served its purpose. One thing that Blum has tt others don't is their corner unit and sink unit as well as the inner drawer. Do you need the pricelist?

Yes, series 7 and above is a 3D, the more appealing and higher range ones are the new release 8000s and 9000s.

Just saw that Havey Norman has a citibank promo, UA-40C7000WM + 3D Bluray+ starter kit@ $4298, free $500 voucher (think can instant wavier) & 22" LCD TV. In a nutshell, you get an additional tv for $3798 40" LED set.

http://www.harveynorman.com.sg/promotions/promotions.php

My fiancee wants a WIW, hence I was watching out for those 'pole-system' wardrobe. The best quote i get would costs some $1400. Edmund's able to do one for $1k. So, it's a bonus for me :)

As for the storage bed divan, I learnt that it will cost about $999 to get the one in your pic, it would definitely cost less with a mattress, but we are eyeing on Sealy. How much did you pay for yours?

Did you get it from absoulute bedding btw?

Edited by dexufto