Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
froggy

My Second Home At Fernvale Vista

the difference is in the material used and technique in making them.

the expensive blades (eg. zwilling and wusthof) uses high carbon steel. advantages of high carbon steel: they are hard enough to hold the edge, yet flexible and soft enough to hone and sharpen. in simpler terms, they require sharpening less frequently (probably once a year) because they are not easily blunt. nevetheless, you'll only need to hone it (depending on usage) once a day or on alternate days. with regard to construction technique, most of the expensive blades (especially german ones) are forged, not stamped. forged knives are heavier and traditionally, better (in terms of hardness) than stamped knives. however, with the advent of technology, there are some exceptions to the stamped/forged argument: the expensive japanese knives (like shun and global) uses very high carbon steel and are stamped, not forged - advantages: harder, thinner/finer blades, hold their edge much longer and generally, lighter.

the cheaper blades (eg. those you get from provision shops) uses stainless steel. their quality will largely depend on the quality of the stainless steel used (caution: cheap and good seldom come together, especially where metal is concern). they are most definitely stamped, and not forged - hence, their thin and flat appearance. these blades are more mallable (softer), easily blunt and will require sharpening often.

Hi Floppy

is it true that to cut things thin, we need to use a thin blade knife, like those japanese ones?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
So you are the one that bought it.. haha..

why ha? you also eyeing it? Benny told me that piece is very hot - dunno real or trying to make me feel that I have bought something really good??

Froggy,

The difference in price between the different series depends on whether they are one-piece construction or 2-piece with a joint at the handle. Some have longer handle for bigger hands, some are heavier than the others, some have different weight balance. I prefer a heavier knife (which makes cutting easier) but the wifey would struggle with it. So it all depends on personal preference, you have to hold the knife and see whether it fits comfortably in your hand and whether you are ok with the weight. I'm using the Henckel Professional S series and it's one of the most popular worldwide. Try not to get those knives with metal handle, it's very slippery to hold esp when your hand is greasy or wet.

what does weight balance mean? The salesman at OG showed me a series of Henckel, and balanced the blade on his finger. But so what if it can balance? I mean, how does balacing help in cutting etc?

what does weight balance mean? The salesman at OG showed me a series of Henckel, and balanced the blade on his finger. But so what if it can balance? I mean, how does balacing help in cutting etc?

If it's well-balanced, you won't feel tired in holding the knife and it makes it easier to do the cutting.

Hi Floppy

is it true that to cut things thin, we need to use a thin blade knife, like those japanese ones?

err... no.

to cut things thin, you need 'kang hu'.

Angmoh uses chef knives, and we asians probably grew up with a Santoku-style type of knife. Both of them have different style of cutting, you use a rocking motion with a chef knife as oppose to a chopping style for Santoku.

So if we are talking about Henckel knives, most of them are chef knives. They have Santoku knives too but that's another topic. Using a chef knife require you to use the tip of the knife as a pivot point and then slice in a rocking motion. You actually use the weight of the handle to help you in the rocking motion. Too heavy and you will struggle with it, too light and you will have to use more strength so weight balance refers to how easy or difficult it is to do the rocking motion when you hold the knife. Bottom line is, you have to be comfortable holding and using the knife.

Here's a good video on how to use a chef knife. The chef is using a Henckel Professional S chef knife.

Edited by JandG

If it's well-balanced, you won't feel tired in holding the knife and it makes it easier to do the cutting.

err... no.

to cut things thin, you need 'kang hu'.

Angmoh uses chef knives, and we asians probably grew up with a Santoku-style type of knife. Both of them have different style of cutting, you use a rocking motion with a chef knife as oppose to a chopping style for Santoku.

So if we are talking about Henckel knives, most of them are chef knives. They have Santoku knives too but that's another topic. Using a chef knife require you to use the tip of the knife as a pivot point and then slice in a rocking motion. You actually use the weight of the handle to help you in the rocking motion. Too heavy and you will struggle with it, too light and you will have to use more strength so weight balance refers to how easy or difficult it is to do the rocking motion when you hold the knife. Bottom line is, you have to be comfortable holding and using the knife.

Here's a good video on how to use a chef knife. The chef is using a Henckel Professional S chef knife.

wow, looks like we have many resident knife experts here in RT - thanks everyone!

no, we went in the afternoon. You getting things from them too?

I walked the almost the entire stretch of Jalan Besar and is most impressed by their patience to explain and service-oriented attitude. And non-pushy too.

If you notice, the display piece at the top (kitchen sinks) is gone - I took it lor. Apparently the last piece, and the supplier does not bring it in anymore, so I chop it many months ago.

argh!! so u r e one who took it!! haha.. :)

Quite a bit has been done to the house too ...

kitchen tile / cabinet base / sink support

DSC08436.jpg

shower screen kerb - want to cry - shower screen so small! think once go inside must minimise movement, otherwise sure to knock on glass :~

DSC08427.jpg

hi can check what kind of door all of you use for toilet? Visited June's house (same block as me - hey, thanks, June!) and agreed with her that casement door is too tight for ease of entry/exit to toilet.

now also headache where to hang the towel rail etc??

have anyone used those 3M toilet products? Thought of using those since no need to drill and no worries about changing position etc but not sure if they can take the weight over long term?

Big Kitchen! envious! :rolleyes:

Ya, put shower kerb in common toilet makes it real small. in the end, we din put. let it be a wet area since not alot of ppl would use the bath.

I use wooden door, but i think no good for door, since my shower no shower kerb.. ahhahahah ;)

hi JandG

thanks for the link - lots of useful stuff there!

Big Kitchen! envious! :rolleyes:

Ya, put shower kerb in common toilet makes it real small. in the end, we din put. let it be a wet area since not alot of ppl would use the bath.

I use wooden door, but i think no good for door, since my shower no shower kerb.. ahhahahah ;)

think after going through many alternatives - be it wooden, bifold, PD door , each has its own + and -. In the end, we will settle for glass door - more glass in the house!

how come you and Banned say the same thing?

Becos the week before we went to GR link together bearlyn's wife was looking at the 400+ sink.. but bearlyn say too ex.. look for cheaper alternative.. saw another one.. den Jasmine say taken by someone else liao lor.. den he is very sad.. cos his wife wan to buy the 400+ sink liao.. hahaha..

Tue, 20 July 2010

Met Edmund again today, and highlighted the tight space in toilets if using casement door.

We visited the swingandslide company last night at Balestier, and were taken aback that a door can cost as much as $599! And we did not like the bifold door.

So in the end, we decided to use all swing glass doors - for rooms and toilets - to give a consistent look.

While in OG, we also saw a black glass/clear glass mirror beside the escalator - looks good - so we also decided to adopt this for our dining wall.

So looks like ours will be a "glass" house! Hope it will turn out nice - bc no ID so we just pick ideas from here and there.

Becos the week before we went to GR link together bearlyn's wife was looking at the 400+ sink.. but bearlyn say too ex.. look for cheaper alternative.. saw another one.. den Jasmine say taken by someone else liao lor.. den he is very sad.. cos his wife wan to buy the 400+ sink liao.. hahaha..

my sink.. My sink no more.. Haha..