Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
marshmallow

The Marshmallow Land

okie, more photos.... now, the toilets :lol:

MBR toilet - before:

4992725554_c41d84f03d_z.jpg

yucks... dirty, ill maintained, and clogged WC... and the fat ugly pipes that are right in front of the windows and blocking part of it... strange design indeed :bangwall:

hubby's 1st reaction: ahhhhh there goes my resort-themed bathroom!!! :bangwall:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

MBR toilet - after ;) :

4992723644_88909a3688_z.jpg

well, not so much on the resort theme, but at least we like the colour scheme and of course, we love the rain shower!! :thumbs up:

4992724048_271bb76059_z.jpg

before we did site inspection, we had grand plans for our MBR... wanna make vanity top (something that i realllyyyy wanted), mirror cabinet, glass shower screen... however, due to the strange layout esp. the windows and pipes, all the above cannot be done... :~

in the end, we purchased the cabinet with basin on top. Also, have to settle with a plain mirror cos none of the mirror cabinets sold off-the-shelf can fit into the space available :(

Regret No.1: Did not ask Henry to custom-made a mirror cabinet for us :bangwall:

Edited by marshmallow

4992115455_72e7b85579_z.jpg

Clockwise from top left:

(1) Toilet bifold door - the same one that dmay didn't like last time... LOL :P

(2) Close up on rain shower.... ;)

(3) Ariston storage heater and the stupid fat pipes after painting... it looks SO MUCH better now :sport-smiley-004:

At first, we wanna paint the pipes beige so it will sort of blend in with the wall. However, think the painter got the colour wrong (again) and painted it while... but when we looked at it, we think maybe white is a better choice, so we stick with the "mistake"... :lol:

The Paint Story

Like what everyone else has done, before painting started, we met up with contractor to discuss the colours to be used, where to paint which colours etc. Henry marked and highlighted all info clearly on the floorplan and faxed the stuff to the painter.

At first, progress was good. Painter's skill was also not bad :thumbs up:

Painter at work:

4998242942_d52bbf111e_z.jpg

As per everyone's advice on Renotalk, we also went to check if the paint used was as per what was promised. We were glad to see that all the paints delivered were correct ;). Henry also said that if we discovered any problem, inform him immediately so that he can check on the painter. :)

When painting is almost completed, we noticed that the MBR "feature wall" with Lavender Mist paint was painted on the wrong wall of MBR. Marina blue walls in the studies were still not Marina Blue :o

So we called Henry and he asked the painter to do the rectification. However, when we went up to check next day, we saw that the floor protection were all cleared, signifying the end of painting.... BUT the rectification was stiill not done! :angry:

Of course we called Henry up again... He was puzzled cos the painter kept saying all job is completed. Later, upon checking again and again, Henry found that the painter TOTALLY FORGOT about the Marina Blue............... :bangwall:

We urged Henry to complete the painting soon cos our book shelves were coming in (the shelves occupies the wall with Marina Blue paint)....................

*To be continued*

Edited by marshmallow

Yup, yup~ I also have to give up my dream vanity top with beautiful cabinet... ... because of the limited size and the stupid pipes... :furious:

Where do you buy the the cabinet with basin on top? What's the size for the basin? I only have 450mm for the basin. If yours fits, I want to get the same one! :thumbs up:

Btw, I will contact Henry and he may be my contractor too.

MBR toilet - after ;) :

4992723644_88909a3688_z.jpg

well, not so much on the resort theme, but at least we like the colour scheme and of course, we love the rain shower!! :thumbs up:

4992724048_271bb76059_z.jpg

before we did site inspection, we had grand plans for our MBR... wanna make vanity top (something that i realllyyyy wanted), mirror cabinet, glass shower screen... however, due to the strange layout esp. the windows and pipes, all the above cannot be done... :~

in the end, we purchased the cabinet with basin on top. Also, have to settle with a plain mirror cos none of the mirror cabinets sold off-the-shelf can fit into the space available :(

Regret No.1: Did not ask Henry to custom-made a mirror cabinet for us :bangwall:

Hi

Nice job on the reno so far. I'm glad that you decided to keep the terrazzo flooring! It looks fantastic.

Thanks! Haha i guess now it's harder to find this kind of flooring liao... gonna extinct soon :P

Yup, yup~ I also have to give up my dream vanity top with beautiful cabinet... ... because of the limited size and the stupid pipes... :furious:

Where do you buy the the cabinet with basin on top? What's the size for the basin? I only have 450mm for the basin. If yours fits, I want to get the same one! :thumbs up:

Btw, I will contact Henry and he may be my contractor too.

Yo... i got it from Royal Franco at Jalan Besar (in fact, I got almost all the toilet/kitchen stuff from them). They have 2 choices of colour for this cabinet - dark brown or white.

When i measured my bathroom, I got the exact same dimension as you - 45cm for basin.... we got same weird toilet layout maybe? ;) in the end, this basin + cabinet i got is 46cm x 46cm... 1cm more only nia :lol:

btw, i read from the other thread that you got a 4A in Bishan? wow at first me and hubby looking at Bishan also cos we really love the neighbourhood! But it's really too far from our workplaces...... :bangwall:

Gotten any quotes from Henry already?

Hi All!

Had a mini gathering at my home during last week's long weekend... so FINALLY we dragged ourselves to get our home tidied up! :) still a bit messy, but at least now can take some photos for public viewing hee hee...

erm okie... think i was still on living room and study room in my last update... haha :P anyway, here are the photos.. with furniture~ :lol:

Living room + dining room:

4992722632_64b41782d0_z.jpg

Living room + dining room, viewed from the main door:

4992722796_5a710f5a97_z.jpg

:wub: love my Calypso! Initially we were so worried that the colour won't match the whole house, luckily it turned out just right~ :)

And you all can see... The shoe cabinet near the door (the one i was asking about where to place earlier on). Went to many, many places to look at shoe cabinets... somehow all those designs that i like are white, which doesn't fit into the whole theme :wacko:

end up bought this simple shoe cabinet from Shing Hup in Jurong West. The look matches the whole theme and price is reasonable... Those staying in Jurong West, no harm go and take a look - they do catalogue sale too :)

Hi,

The colour of the wall behind the TV looks very nice. Please advise what brand and colour of the paint that you used? Thanks.

Hi,

The colour of the wall behind the TV looks very nice. Please advise what brand and colour of the paint that you used? Thanks.

Yo, that colour is Bisque (AL22803), Dulux All.

Hope it helps~ :yamseng:

Hello marshmallow,

sorry if this comes abit late;

You can get those mirror cabinet from AOS

I customised mine for $440+ for a 90cm(h) x 90cm(w) x 16cm (depth).

Hello marshmallow,

sorry if this comes abit late;

You can get those mirror cabinet from AOS

I customised mine for $440+ for a 90cm(h) x 90cm(w) x 16cm (depth).

thanks dexufto! that time we were in a rush to move so didn't do much research on customisation, but sure your lobang will come useful when we decided to do one later - i most probably would do one so long as hubby doesn't violently object :P

Thanks~ :dancingqueen:

The Paint Story - Part II

(continued from here)

So, as i was saying... the painter totally forgot to rectify the errors:

5050453468_63a033afab_z.jpg

We urged Henry to complete the painting ASAP cos our book shelves were coming in (the shelves occupies the wall with Marina Blue paint). Just a day before book shelves delivery, a painter came... young chap from Malaysia :D But the problem is the paint wasn't here! This young painter kept calling his boss to bring the paint over....

about an hour later, the boss finally came, put down the paint and left. when we opened the paint can, we were SHOCKED to see a pink colour......................... :bleah:

what happened was, instead of this Marina Blue (AL21004) the painter boss should get:

5049892335_f7cc38e490_z.jpg

He got this - AL24001 - Barely Pink:

5050512064_f5387f1eb6_z.jpg

:bangwall::bangwall::bangwall:

and it really didn't help that it was a Saturday evening, when all paint shops were already CLOSED................... :o

Actually at the point when i saw the pink paint, i bursted out laughing - dunno why, somehow i thought it was really funny :lol: but the painter wasn't amused at all... he was so fed up that you could almost see the dark clouds and flames :furious: above his head~ LOL

in the end, the painter only managed to correct the MBR wall paint and do some minor touch-up. book shelves came before the blue wall was painted and were forced to put at somewhere else first.... but nevermind, cos Henry promised to send some "muscle men" :sport-smiley-003: to help me move the shelves in place... hahaha :lol:

Finally, when our bookshelves were delivered and being assembled at our home, the painter came. It was the painter's boss himself....

me: (surprised) "why you came personally to do the painting?"

Painter boss: "no more money to hire worker ma, that's why i gotta do it myself lor.........."

he painted the Marina Blue wall, but the colour didn't look even, so got him to come back 2 days later to repaint........ though the blue wall turned up ok in the end, frankly we felt his workers' skill was much better than him!

Edited by marshmallow

anyway, found out something when chatting with the young painter (while waiting for the paint to come).

while painting walls, they will normally get bigger cans of paint that is enough for use. After painting, it doesn't make sense to keep the leftover paint in such a big container. So they will get spare cans that are smaller to store the paint. However, very often these spare cans are the Maxilite paint cans becos this is the most commonly found spare cans from the painting companies.

In this case, then how do you know what paints are stored inside these sapre Maxilite paint cans? Usually the painters will:

1) Draw a dot on the cover of the spare can with the stored colour to indicate the actual stored paint (most common)

2) or take out the label from the original can and paste on the spare can.

3) or do all of the above.

None of us would want to be cheated by contractors to use the cheap Maxilite paint in place of the better quality ones we paid for, however, the paints sitting inside the Maxilite cans could actually be the correct paint (Dulux All, Nippon... whatsoever). We also should get our facts correct before confronting the contractor.

To ensure your contractor used the correct paints, it's easier and more accurate to check the cans before and during painting.

Noob Lesson 2: Don't get too worked up and immediately accused yourcontractor/painter for cheating with cheap paints when you see the Maxilite cans being left behind. Investigate and confirm if they are not simply spare cans to store paint, before firing your contractor/painter with your powerful AK47 :fire:

Yo... i got it from Royal Franco at Jalan Besar (in fact, I got almost all the toilet/kitchen stuff from them). They have 2 choices of colour for this cabinet - dark brown or white.

When i measured my bathroom, I got the exact same dimension as you - 45cm for basin.... we got same weird toilet layout maybe? ;) in the end, this basin + cabinet i got is 46cm x 46cm... 1cm more only nia :lol:

btw, i read from the other thread that you got a 4A in Bishan? wow at first me and hubby looking at Bishan also cos we really love the neighbourhood! But it's really too far from our workplaces...... :bangwall:

Gotten any quotes from Henry already?

Thanks for the info!~ We surely will go there to find out more. Really looks just nice to fit my bathroom.

Hehe~ We chose Bishan, because both my hubby and I need to travel island wide for works. Bishan is not that far for every corner the island.

Plan to call Henry tomorrow morning. ^_^