Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Ely1

The Best Journey Always Leads Us Home

Ely,

No worries, will station here camping, waiting! ;)

N the spurge may-dream had, can see she is really really happy despite the price. :P

Imagine sitting at a corner admiring it! ;)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

N the spurge may-dream had, can see she is really really happy despite the price. :P

Imagine sitting at a corner admiring it! ;)

haha.... Footprint knows me well. Art pieces are like that... one that resonant with your heart, you have to have it!

Sofa can always be bought and all looks and feel abt the same. But art piece is once in a lifetime. You might not be able to find another piece that you will like as much and it cannot be duplicated. So art is priceless compare to sofa set.

Also sofa is for guests, art piece is for myself. I rather spend on myself than guests that only come once a while.

That's true, May Dream. As for me - EVERYTHING is for myself LOL! Even the couch and every art piece on the walls. Home is ours, guests can come and either admire/enjoy them, be completely indifferent, or maybe even critical or repulsed. No biggie. We're not seeking to build a home to please others, right? :)

That's why I'm not so enthused about getting a sofa bed for very, very rare overnight guests (perhaps only my Swede friend coming for my wedding). I know I smile everytime I walk along the corridor with the metal art on it :) That's really priceless! Mine is nowhere near $1.2k though - without shipping, I won the bid at US$80 so got lucky (gallery price at US$1,695). Sometimes when I'm really keen on something on eBay, I stalk and bid on it for months before getting it at a price I want to pay. A lot of it is timing, and you get lucky when the USA listings end at Singapore afternoon - evening time - Americans asleep and cannot outbid you! :P

- Ely

One thing abt me, seldom sit on sofa.... I rather sit on my bed... Haha.... Or the chairs in my bedroom. Maybe living room too exposed! Facing corridor.... So sofa not new or matching, I can live with it. If I don't have that painting, I think I will regret it for a long long time.

We don't want to have regrets in life, right? That's my motto! Don't do anything u will regret.... Which I did a few and don't like to make same mistake again.

I tried to search online but can't find anything close. You come see this sat and see whether you agree with my feeling. :)

haha.... Footprint knows me well. Art pieces are like that... one that resonant with your heart, you have to have it!

n i think y i feel not so outstanding ...

the spotlight not shining direct on it.

think when see from ur bedroom, the outcome will be nicer coz the laminated will blend in nicer. :P

n i think y i feel not so outstanding ...

the spotlight not shining direct on it.

think when see from ur bedroom, the outcome will be nicer coz the laminated will blend in nicer. :P

I already adjust the spotlight leh. Maybe I go home adjust it again. Haha.... See whether it will make it look more outstanding.

Or maybe Supersimon photos took away the effect cos his photos were really colorful on my white wall. Haha....

By the time you visit in June should be all done!

I'll gladly extend the invitation to all RT-ers interested to come take a look. :) Mid-June, I'd expect - snacks, drinks and blu-ray movies on the house! :lol: It's a little far for most, but I'll provide transport from MRT station okay? :P Definitely no popiah party as my island is not big enough. :( Mine is probably more suited for canapes~ :(

- Ely

Would be nice to come and meet some others as well as the two of you but that is probably just about when my wife is giving birth.

Apart from the cinema night, we will have to invite all honoured RT guests to the babies first month / house warming which we will hold as one. Will have to pop over to yours some other time. Still up for help getting your hifi setup ?

RB

Would be nice to come and meet some others as well as the two of you but that is probably just about when my wife is giving birth.

Apart from the cinema night, we will have to invite all honoured RT guests to the babies first month / house warming which we will hold as one. Will have to pop over to yours some other time. Still up for help getting your hifi setup ?

RB

Congrats, RB!! I am sure your baby will be very beautiful. Boy or girl? You need lots of space for them to run around. :)

Thanks for your invite! Just let us know the date so we can go see your 100" projector tv.

Congrats, RB!! I am sure your baby will be very beautiful. Boy or girl? You need lots of space for them to run around. :)

Thanks for your invite! Just let us know the date so we can go see your 100" projector tv.

Thanks May.

Another boy....... 3 in total when he comes. We have been having fun trying to agree on names but at least my wife has not suggested Amadeus like she did last time.....

A couple of people have popped over during the reno and a couple briefly after. Would be nice to put some names to faces..... after all if you read my blog, you know what I look(ed) like, maybe to avoid me on the street considering one discussion about PRs and housing ;).

RB

hey congrats~ it's almost done! :) spent lots of time catching up on all the posts i've missed in the past few weeks~ :jawdrop:

really looking forward to see your place~! :yamseng:

Apart from the cinema night, we will have to invite all honoured RT guests to the babies first month / house warming which we will hold as one. Will have to pop over to yours some other time. Still up for

help getting your hifi setup ?

RB

For sure!! KEC is coming by at 3, not sure how everything is going to turn out. Will let you know :) thank you, RB :)

Edited by Ely1

Thanks May.

Another boy....... 3 in total when he comes. We have been having fun trying to agree on names but at least my wife has not suggested Amadeus like she did last time.....

A couple of people have popped over during the reno and a couple briefly after. Would be nice to put some names to faces..... after all if you read my blog, you know what I look(ed) like, maybe to avoid me on the street considering one discussion about PRs and housing ;).

RB

Yup I know how u look like, as well as your wife and kids. Of course not your "new born". Haha.... I am not against PRs buying if they have family here. They need housing! It's those that buy to rent out that i think depriving many.

Ops.... Cannot use ely blog to discuss this. Will wait for the time to go your baby full month party then. :)

Yup I know how u look like, as well as your wife and kids. Of course not your "new born". Haha.... I am not against PRs buying if they have family here. They need housing! It's those that buy to rent out that i think depriving many.

Sure and I was not directing the fun and games comment about that thead at you in any way :D.

Ops.... Cannot use ely blog to discuss this. Will wait for the time to go your baby full month party then. :)

Or the thread already running or both :P.

RB

Currently doubting my own choices/tastes... ><

Maybe because my ID didn't show much enthusiasm for the purchases. And also, perhaps, I basically designed the whole place myself. The ID simply followed my instructions and gave very good sound technical advice, and I'm so grateful for someone who manages and oversees the entire project because I'm terrible with contractors due to my limited Mandarin, and lack the necessary know-how. In my case, we didn't pick an ID who would dictate the design and furnishings - I wanted a barebone apartment to do up by myself. When it comes to the whole design scheme, it is practically 99% mine so it is nerve-wrecking. Serious self-doubt mode now. :(

Also wondering how many of you have gone over your initial budget? I'm just wondering if everyone is as impulsive as us, or are we normal first-time homeowners who get too naturally carried away?

- Ely

Hi Ely,

Been following your blog from page 1 till now since this morning. It's been a fun read, not to say informative and helpful.

I am also a new home-owner like you, and me and my partner are as impulsive as you and often got carried away with our purchases.

After reading through like 14 pages of your blog (will continue to finish reading them after I reply to this post), I find that me and my partner have too much in common with you. Our interests, our likes, and our behaviour - are very similar (except that I do not have such deep pockets like you)!

For the reno of my house, my ID were also merely just following my instructions. Me and my partner have strong opinions of what we wanted and the ID did not have the chance to display his creativity because we had already what we wanted in mind! RIght down to customised cabinets and cabinets, I would draw out what I wanted, take photos of what I saw and asked my ID to customise to my needs. Bascially, both you and I should have got ourselves a contractor instead of an ID because we what we wanted in our minds!

Me and my partner would spend our weekends shopping for household items and furniture, as we found it to be a very enjoyable experience. However it does put a serious strain on our wallets as we did not spend wisely - we buy on impulse and on the asethetic feel of the item (love metallic, and chrome items - brabentia bins, wmf kitchen accessories are our fav, have a soft spot for nice lightings and designer furniture too), ignoring the fact that we have basically no use for the item!

We have overspent on our budget, and left with quite a number of items that couldn't fit into our house, ranging from wall clocks, wallpaper, kitchen accessories, lights, floor lamps etc. Thats really a big waste of money.

Frankly speaking, I think all first-time homeowners are 99% like us, so no worries!!!

I have been wanting to write a blog about my house-hunting and home-building journey, but can't find the time to do so.

Meanwhile I will just follow your blog and will look forward to your new updates!

If you are organising a house-warming or house visit, please do invite me! Can't wait to see your house!

RB

Had a weird time trying to reply via iPhone earlier, so I'm reiterating:

It would be great to put a face to all the names I now find so familiar on RT! We have BBQ pits on the compound but not sure if people would rather be in the comfort of the home. Maybe a Subway fest?

KEC came by as promised and set everything up - still need lots of practice juggling the remote controls and menus but watched quite a bit of The Dark Knight and it was fantastic!! The bass shook the entire room, especially during the opening scene of the glass shattering. Quite an experience. Still yet to install the SCV and X-Box. You and your lovely wife are welcome anytime though. :)

We'd love to come for the baby's first month. Thanks for the generous invite!

- Ely