Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Ely1

The Best Journey Always Leads Us Home

The more you don't show your pic, the more it seem like a mystery that we know it will be super fantastic. Come on! You spend nearly 100k, right? So how can it not be super georgeous?

One thing I've learnt is that money cannot buy taste :P Also, beauty is so subjective - there is a darling charm about eclectic apartments, a sophisticated feel about a warehouse loft, the homeliness of a country cottage, the sleekness of a minimalistic home, the relaxed atmosphere about a resort villa, an individuality with industrial bareness, the luxury of opulent grandeur. All very different types of homes but super gorgeous in their own way. It's what the home owners put into it that gives it that special feel even the best hotels cannot emulate.

No lah, not super fantastic. Just wanted a piece different from being all silver, since the couch is no longer going to be grey. I'll find another spot for the existing piece because too troublesome to list on eBay and sell~ A lot of my stuff is also DIY - buy something simple, add a few touches. That 100k is inclusive of complete overhaul renovation works though - I'm certain many have exceeded that. My spreadsheet even includes cordless kettles, to cushion covers and candle holders so I'm really calculating everything! :lol:

When you come, you can see for yourself - it's nothing extraordinary. Just very "me" :) A lot of regretful purchases too - my LED infinity mirror has WHITE lights though it was photographed to be yellow and cosy, so it doesn't blend well like I wanted it to. That's the problem with buying online and having too many ideas in the head.

The eager beaver in me already purchased 6 new cushion covers for the couch (will interchange with cushions for the bedroom when we change sheets) so it goes to show how badly impulsive I can be. A normal person would wait for the couch and contemplate thoughtfully what cushions would look best with it, but I hate "waiting" for perfection that I simply go mouse-crazy and then later on, want to hit myself with a spatula for being so stupid.

- Ely

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Ely, u go to ebay to get ur paintings too??

The metal art pieces are from eBay :) the 3 canvases were from Bali when we took a post-ROM-honeymoon without having any idea how our home would be - we didn't even start looking for IDs yet - just bought them then decided where to hang. Rest sourced from the Internet :) I also get handmade items from etsy.com like vintage birdcages, solar lamps etc.

You know there's a reason why the RT-ers joke about me being the Online Shopping Queen, yes? :P

- Ely

The metal art pieces are from eBay :) the 3 canvases were from Bali when we took a post-ROM-honeymoon without having any idea how our home would be - we didn't even start looking for IDs yet - just bought them then decided where to hang. Rest sourced from the Internet :) I also get handmade items from etsy.com like vintage birdcages, solar lamps etc.

You know there's a reason why the RT-ers joke about me being the Online Shopping Queen, yes? :P

- Ely

Yes yes, i certainly heard about the title despite the short time i spend here. Will definitely open my eyes to more of these art pieces whenever i am overseas liao. Also gonna scout on ebay now for new stuff. Still trying to get the hang of ebay.

Yes yes, i certainly heard about the title despite the short time i spend here. Will definitely open my eyes to more of these art pieces whenever i am overseas liao. Also gonna scout on ebay now for new stuff. Still trying to get the hang of ebay.

Oh no, my reputation precedes me. It's not all that accurate really - I think reglxt is a more avid shopper than I but it's been a while seen I've her here so I'm only borrowing the title by proxy. :P

Have fun with eBay - it can be very rewarding when you know you've gotten yourself a good deal! Let me know if you need any help navigating eBay, I'll be more than happy to add another member to the OSA (Online Shoppers Annoymous) support group.

- Ely

Yes, very stressful. I slept the ENTIRE day today. Super, super tired.

Was it the super plush pillowtop that won you over? ;) My next choice was the Serta but too lazy to go to Marina Square haha so just bought Dunlopillo. Their delivery is a nightmare though. Waited 12hrs for them~

Now when I lie on it, it doesn't seem as plush and felt I should have gone with the Serta but oh well. Maybe it was the plastic wrap...

- Ely

My second choice was Serta too! - Serta Constellation. Actually me and my partner had made up our mind to buy the Serta, but after we tried the Dunopillo, we changed our minds.

Initially my dream bed was the Sleep to Live beds, extremely comfy and feels like someone is hugging you to sleep. However, din go with it because budget was a concern and the beds did not receive good reviews in the forums.

Hopefully the Dunlopillo bed feels the same as what I have tried in the showroom! (i bought mine in March, but havent got it delivered yet coz wanted it to come after the reno is completed.)

IKEC came by as promised and set everything up - still need lots of practice juggling the remote controls and menus but watched quite a bit of The Dark Knight and it was fantastic!! The bass shook the entire room, especially during the opening scene of the glass shattering. Quite an experience. Still yet to install the SCV and X-Box. You and your lovely wife are welcome anytime though. :)

Thanks Ely. I am sure we will take you up on the offer at some time. Would be nice to hear the SVS in a larger space as well as meeting you and your husband, not forgetting the pets too..

We'd love to come for the baby's first month. Thanks for the generous invite!

We would love to have you.

And RB and yours definitely would be an audio visual treat don't you think?

If I get my way it will be loud :D. People who don't like loud will have to bring ear plugs :P. Having watched IMAX - Fighter Pilot in HD the sounds of the jets are fantastic. Having done a Waynes World of sitting at the end of the runway (Gatwick airport in London has a road that loops around the bottom of one of the runways although the police now stop anyone hanging around there) while big planes come in to land, I can firmly attest to the fact it is almost as awesome (seeing an aircraft passing over your head so close cannot be recreated at home IMO :D).

My HTS is nowhere near the awesomeness of RB's - he has a projector FFS! Our is actually quite an entry-level system. Inclusive of the TV and media player, it's about $7k - remember we got lots of stuff second hand. The real audiophiles have amps that alone cost $10k! :jawdrop: Bedroom's "system" is only $1.8K (with TV). Even the KEC guys commented that ours is a very basic, entry-level set up. :unsure: It'll suffice for us though. We even scrimped on cables (from Audioquest's S$190 for 3x HDMI cables to eBay's S$30 for 4x Gold V1.4 ones haha!).

Ahh mine is not that high end at all. The projector and all was around 3k, the two amps were under 2k together, the sub and center was around 2k, the surrounds were around 200 and the fronts are difficult as they were ex-demo and used to retail around 1k but were bought for around 300. So only around 8k plus TV which would be under 1k these days.

The KEC guys are usually enthusiasts who believe in spending 10K on a single amp or who are tasked to get people to buy more / upgrade, they are a business after all. I think you have entry to mid level in an enthusiasts world. For audiophiles, entry could be easily over 10k for the basic setup. Your will happily beat or compete with most peoples but more importantly gives you the pleasure you want at the right price. Now you can get subwoofer revenge on the locally howling dogs or more importantly, their owners :P .

Good to see you went the sensible route with the cables as well.

RB

Ok, I have finally put up a Internet Shopping guide on RT here.

All Internet shopping Kings and Queens please contribute so we can get a decent list of shops, improve on the base work I have done.

RB

p.s. there is a reason I posted here.... can you guess why :P

All Internet shopping Kings and Queens please contribute so we can get a decent list of shops, improve on the base work I have done.

RB

Thank you RB for your efforts!

RB

Nice nice. Just for the queen herself!!!!

RB

I have absolutely no inkling why. Can anyone enlighten me? :rolleyes:

- Ely

If I get my way it will be loud :D. People who don't like loud will have to bring ear plugs :P. Having watched IMAX - Fighter Pilot in HD the sounds of the jets are fantastic. Having done a Waynes World of sitting at the end of the runway (Gatwick airport in London has a road that loops around the bottom of one of the runways although the police now stop anyone hanging around there) while big planes come in to land, I can firmly attest to the fact it is almost as awesome (seeing an aircraft passing over your head so close cannot be recreated at home IMO :D).

Ahh mine is not that high end at all. The projector and all was around 3k, the two amps were under 2k together, the sub and center was around 2k, the surrounds were around 200 and the fronts are difficult as they were ex-demo and used to retail around 1k but were bought for around 300. So only around 8k plus TV which would be under 1k these days.

The KEC guys are usually enthusiasts who believe in spending 10K on a single amp or who are tasked to get people to buy more / upgrade, they are a business after all. I think you have entry to mid level in an enthusiasts world. For audiophiles, entry could be easily over 10k for the basic setup. Your will happily beat or compete with most peoples but more importantly gives you the pleasure you want at the right price. Now you can get subwoofer revenge on the locally howling dogs or more importantly, their owners :P .

Good to see you went the sensible route with the cables as well.

RB

Aye, I agree RB. These real audiophiles have much higher expectations of their systems and would find something rather sufficient for us as simply intolerable to them. So far, I don't want to get into that stage, ever. I know if I'm obsessed about something, I'd find means to get them so no more poisoning (though would kill for projector~). I used to dream about gaming on a 100" screen and my tiny kobold avatar would be like 1m high on the screen - RAWR! Can't wait to try the WoW hack on X-Box Kinect - omfg imagine really roleplaying all the spell moves :lol:! Uber cool! Keke, that's how geeky I am~

If yours is only entry- to mid-level, I don't know what mine is, or how soundbars would be classified. There's a lot of tuning to do when watching movies and switching to music so I need to get the hang of that and learn what's the best setting for everything. I bought HD Basics as advised and also use Stars Wars THX to help with the calibration.

Revenge is sweet! Now Cocker upstairs is competing with my next door's moggie. I simply turned on Avatar loudly. I'd hate to always be scolding Maxey (or God forbid, spanking that little cute bottom) if he naturally joins in the howling match.

Well, when you come over, let's see your (brutally) honest take on our system. I find that it's simply OK. Not particularly mind-blowing but it does beat chocolate ice cream in my books.

- Ely

Oh, how I look at the spectacle of the renovation process and laugh to myself sardonically.

It's going to be more than a week - it's so **** ridiculous that it's funny.

/rant on

Now, the ENTIRE kitchen granite top needs to be removed and refitted. Both WCs are now removed and tiles in bathroom hacked and retiled again (no idea why they ran pipes all over for the bidet spray and I insisted that there was no need for that - indeed there wasn't, perhaps they felt extra long visible piping looks cool but unfortunately for them, I do not agree). Poh Joo gave the wrong arm for the oversized rainshower so need to be replaced and redone. Not gaining any popularity with the plumbers at all. When I told them to check for the max water level and open valve, they insisted they've done their job and I should call the retailer to fix it, not them. Mirrored cabinet vanity got installed without the cabinet. Kitchen island laminates chipped, dented, broken off due to moving so laminates may need to be replaced. Common bathroom doors not done yet (wow, I've just one-upped May Dream with NO doors!).

Now, I seriously have no idea when I can move in, if at all. Maybe I'll get lucky and move in next Christmas. Or something. Now in total 'sian' zone. I can't clean or unpack or do anything, except to arrive at the house to open the door for whoever's coming (and usually waiting 3hrs before they actually turn up). We no longer leave the back door key as too many things have been "misplaced"/accidentally thrown away/gone missing/stolen. No more pretty pics for you guys as we mourn the absurdity of my situation.

/rant off

Ooh, did I mention it's now Day 86?! Just looked at the project schedule and the handover was supposed to be 30 April. I cannot believe my luck! Even my ID is so stressed about how things are turning out so wrong and is so apologetic about everything. Whenever we go through the new problems, I simply reach into the new fridge and get a beer. On Saturday there were 24 cans, today's count was 9.

sad_panda_day.jpg

Oooh, time to go stuff face.

beatingbarbie01.jpg

- Ely

Still so many problems? Why it's so bad?

Cool down.... Sure can move in soon. Won't be Christmas.... All these should be done within days.

Edited by May_dream1

oh gosh ... wat is the problem? really too much hiccups .. :(

granite refit coz wrong??

tiles hacked and re-tiled ??

i hear i also sians for u. :((

perhaps those that do not need to fit for reno, place in a room and keep it closed ba.

else missing items/parts again ...