Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Kobelala

We Bought A Flat, And Made It Our Home

How much did your plants cost? Including delivery?

Hi Strikingreality, got from a nursery at Kovan, $450 include extra garden soil, 2 pots and delivery.... we did not hunt around for these plants so I'm not sure if the price is good (as they only give 10% discount off their list price), Also, we reckon no 2 plants will look the same, so we bought them)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hey bro, need your advice. Read that you are using Legrand switches. How are they? :help:

My IDs hv recommended the basic Clipsal ones. I don't really bother about the looks cos I want the switches to be as unobstrusive as possible - so any plain white ones would be ok with me, but I want to know if there is a difference in terms of "feel" (how loose/tight when pressing) and sound/noise (the 'tick-tak' sound when pressed) between the brands.

Do you know or have you tested the various brands (e.g. Legrand, Clipsal n MK) before deciding on your Legrand?

TIA! :)

Hi Sis, yes, I'm using the Legrand normal white switch.

I tried the switches and feedback IMHO :

1) MK : Glossy finish, harder to press, normal "tic-tak" sound

2) Clipsal (or Shineider Electric) : Glossy Finish, buttons too squarish, quite ok to press, loud "tic-tak" sound

3) legrand : Matt finish, very good to feel, very very easy to press, nice soft "Tic-Tak" sound (maybe too soft for some)

So we choose legrand as the buttons have the slighly "softer" look which is good for our home and the matt finish feels very good and also easy to press.....

Sorry I don't really know how to describe but hope it of help to u Sis :)

Edited by Kobelala

2) Clipsal (or Shineider Electric) : Glossy Finish, buttons too squarish, quite ok to press, loud "tic-tak" sound

3) legrand : Matt finish, very good to feel, very very easy to press, nice soft "Tic-Tak" sound (maybe too soft for some)

So we choose legrand as the buttons have the slighly "softer" look which is good for our home and the matt finish feels very good and also easy to press.....

Yes that was very helpful bro. Good to know that I'm not the only one who would check on switches. Felt abit like... very "anal" when I told my IDs that I want to test Clipsal 1st before they install the light switches. I will try to find some to play with too, but based on what you have described Legrand sounds like a good choice. Thanks!!!!

Yes that was very helpful bro. Good to know that I'm not the only one who would check on switches. Felt abit like... very "anal" when I told my IDs that I want to test Clipsal 1st before they install the light switches. I will try to find some to play with too, but based on what you have described Legrand sounds like a good choice. Thanks!!!!

haha sis, I'm glad it's helpful to u.... Wife is a Virgo, so I have more or less absorbed her "Virgo-ness" over the years with her...

yep, to me, a good switch is as important as a good WC :o cos we will press the switch every day.... and that's why we finally chose Legrand over the other makes... :P

Good description :) Where did you do the testing of the switches? The electrician offered us normal switches, but hubby wants something nicer. How much do the legrand ones cost?

Good description :) Where did you do the testing of the switches? The electrician offered us normal switches, but hubby wants something nicer. How much do the legrand ones cost?

Hi Sis, thanks... all of a sudden, I feel my Singggrish becoming very powerful :D with the compliments of u n Sis Adidaem... :P

I tested the switches at those electrical shops along Jln Besar, Syed Alwi Rd and Kelantan Lane before buying, the shops normally have some switches sample fix onto a board, you can freely test them...

But I finally bought mine from choo chiang, the 1 box 1 gang switch is > $1.50, 1 box 2 gang is $2+, 3 gang is $3+ but 4 gang $7+ (price about there, sorry I cannot I remember the actual figure, if u need, I'll check my invoices for u later)

Also, take note that legard comes with 4 gang, Schneider electric / clipsal don't... As my switches is non conceal, I need to get the backing box for about 0.80 cents each...

Edited by Kobelala

haha sis, I'm glad it's helpful to u.... Wife is a Virgo, so I have more or less absorbed her "Virgo-ness" over the years with her...

yep, to me, a good switch is as important as a good WC :o cos we will press the switch every day.... and that's why we finally chose Legrand over the other makes... :P

I'm no virgo but just as erm... "particular" about things. But am totally with you on daily usage of switches so I'll go n test it out.

Hi Sis, thanks... all of a sudden, I feel my Singggrish becoming very powerful :D with the compliments of u n Sis Adidaem... :P

Well deserved! :good::good::good:

Hi Fairydust, my answers IMHO only ; I do not face any problem so far as last night, I on the light for my cleaning almost for 3 to 4 hours... Yes halogen will omit heat but I have a basic standing fan at my dining area which helps to dissipate any heat, and I don't feel those "hotness" or "heat" at all...

Also, this lamp is using halogen tube, and this is the best light source to bring out the lamp effect... ... and the caboche is bright enough to light up my whole dining area which is 3.4m by 3.475m.

I got this lamp from Lumiere at Balestier, about $700. They have 2 sizes (Diametre 50cm n 70cm), we bought the 70cm diametre one.

thanks! will discuss with hubby and check out Lumiere as weel :)

Dear Bros n Sis, we are lookiing for these ponies.... but cheap ones, anyone know where to get ? We know that Lush n Xclusiv have, but the way they mark up these ponies is IMO pretty unreasonable.... Hommage Eric cannot import for me as I'm only getting 2....

tjxh_983_uc9s5.jpg

Should be Big Size ones... ...

tjxh_a66_uc9s5.jpg

kobelala, did you manage to source for cheaper alternatives for the Aarnio Pony? it's really cute! Lush is selling it at $600+ which is so expensive.

kobelala, did you manage to source for cheaper alternatives for the Aarnio Pony? it's really cute! Lush is selling it at $600+ which is so expensive.

Kobelala, you mentioned that Hommage couldn't bring in because you wanted only 2. Can I suggest that (if you really want the pony and haven't gotten them) you speak to Eric of Hommage and ask him how many minimum to bring in and if you can get a better price. Group buys will guarantee a certain amount of revenue for them anyway. You can post a thread here and see if you can get some response. The rest of us can also check within our circle for friends who are keen.

I tested the switches at those electrical shops along Jln Besar, Syed Alwi Rd and Kelantan Lane before buying, the shops normally have some switches sample fix onto a board, you can freely test them...

But I finally bought mine from choo chiang, the 1 box 1 gang switch is > $1.50, 1 box 2 gang is $2+, 3 gang is $3+ but 4 gang $7+ (price about there, sorry I cannot I remember the actual figure, if u need, I'll check my invoices for u later)

Also, take note that legard comes with 4 gang, Schneider electric / clipsal don't... As my switches is non conceal, I need to get the backing box for about 0.80 cents each...

Adidaem and I don't anyhow give compliments hence it must be deserved! And it's cool, cuz not many ppl are actually so anal to go and test light switches. :)

Can I ask what is this backing box thingy? What do you mean by non concealed? Sorry I think I sound **** suaku here. :P

Adidaem and I don't anyhow give compliments hence it must be deserved! And it's cool, cuz not many ppl are actually so anal to go and test light switches. :)

Can I ask what is this backing box thingy? What do you mean by non concealed? Sorry I think I sound **** suaku here. :P

Haha, thanks Sista :dribble:

Let me use my powerful singggrish to explain again :sport-smiley-004:

Front view of the Legrand Switches, 4 gang n dimmer next to each other :

IMG-20110715-00945.jpg

Side view of the switches :

IMG-20110715-00947.jpg

you can see that there is a box at the back of the switches, these are the boxes I'm talking about... for newer HDB apartments and private apartments, they have conceal wires and the switch mechanism are all installed and hidden behind the wall.... but my EM is 22 yrs old, all the wiring are not conceal, thus you can see the "boxes" or plastic casing, and also the wire trunking...

a better view of wire trunking :

IMG-20110715-00951.jpg

the long box beside this 1 gang legrand switch.... as I do not have conceal wall in my flat, all the wires are covered with trunking....

Hope it helps :sport-smiley-004:

Kobelala, you mentioned that Hommage couldn't bring in because you wanted only 2. Can I suggest that (if you really want the pony and haven't gotten them) you speak to Eric of Hommage and ask him how many minimum to bring in and if you can get a better price. Group buys will guarantee a certain amount of revenue for them anyway. You can post a thread here and see if you can get some response. The rest of us can also check within our circle for friends who are keen.

Hi fairydust, no I've not, yes, Lush n Xclusive are expensive, internet also not much cheaper, I'll go Hommage and talk to the boss Eric again....

Hi Blackcookie, thanks for dropping by my t-blog... .. Yes, I'll go and ask Eric about his minimum order and then update here or start a thread on the poines, but most probably I will not start a group buy, I'll direct members to Eric instead so he can deal direct... will see his price and conditions first :)

Will keep you guy updated on my findings, paying Hommage a visit next week... :D